• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mad cycle from Ireland?

Xali1970

Planning the next one
Time of past OR future Camino
2016 Primitivo
2018 Pimitivo, VdlP
2022 Too Many
I'm looking for advice. I've been planning on cycling to Santiago fro Ireland :Roscoff down to Basque Country, cross the Pyrenees onto the Norte to Santiago and back starting end November.
What challenges aside from sore knees and cold weather gear do I need to plan for?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Black ice, snow, short amount of daylight, relatively few albergues open, treacherous mountain passes and downhills, blustery winds, salt corrosion of your bike components, hypothermia, being hit by skidding cars, and social isolation. If you know all that and go anyway, you’re a braver man than I.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I meant no disrespect. I live in a cold climate and cycle & camp in the winter. It’s not for everyone, and most of my friends think I’m daft. Still, I would give serious pause to a long cycling trip in the winter in mountainous terrain alongside cars.

Black ice, snow, short amount of daylight, relatively few albergues open, treacherous mountain passes and downhills, blustery winds, salt corrosion of your bike components, hypothermia, being hit by skidding cars, and social isolation. If you know all that and go anyway, you’re a braver man than I.
Didn't think of those...
Thank you
Still planning on it but with more caution and an open mind.

I meant no disrespect. I live in a cold climate and cycle & camp in the winter. It’s not for everyone, and most of my friends think I’m daft. Still, I would give serious pause to a long cycling trip in the winter in mountainous terrain alongside cars.
None taken.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good morning my friend, do you realise that you will be climbing 1500 mts ascent, in unpredictable weather? I take it you will be carrying your gear in panniers. Please seriously re think your plans. I lived in the heart of the Pennines for the vast majority of my life and thought I was good on the hills but nothing prepared me for my encounters on the Camino. You will have little daylight, alburgues are not abundant in the winter and where will you sleep. It can be one hell of a lonely place in winter.
Buen Camino

Attachments

• 62A3C3CB-CD5A-4AB2-9265-3B56F45A32B3.jpeg
    62A3C3CB-CD5A-4AB2-9265-3B56F45A32B3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
At a confraternity event in London early this year, I met a young woman cyclist from Scandanavia (I think) who had ridden from Pamplona to Santiago in late December. She was very strong and physically fit. She acknowledged that it had been tough and that she had sometimes to cycle further than she had planned to find accommodation but she was very positive and enthusiastic about her experience. She was seeking advice on other pilgrim routes .....
Personally, I like sunshine and views, but life would be boring if we were all the same!
Good luck with your plans, but be careful on the descents!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
not that I know a lot, but sounds sane to me from the responses you have been given. Buen Camino, peregrino.

ok, after a good thinking over I'll do the via de la plata instead...
thanks everyone for your input
Because of time of the year I also think that Via de la Plata is a better idea. Camino Norte means for a cyclist constant climbing for over 800 km, not much fun in the snow. It is also not overcrowded even in the high season. I did it four years ago in the autumn and I met one other cyclist. Yes, ONE - chef from Paris, who decided to come back to Spain. In Galicia I met maybe four Spanish cyclists. I don't think that did the whole route. If you want fully enjoy Norte do it in season;)

Most read last week in this forum

Cycling the Del Norte I am attempting a 780km Camino combo starting in Leon on 25 April and a friend from the Netherlands wants to join me and cycle the Del Norte from Aviles to Santiago. It...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back