• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid Airport: Are there lockers there?

Vikita

Time of past OR future Camino
(May 27 /June (2017 - Hopefully)
I bought a travel cover for my Osprey backpack so that I can check it with the checked luggage. Are there lockers in the Madrid airport where I can keep this cover until I return to fly home 35 days later?

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow! Thanks for the super-prompt response! I checked the website, and it will cost E5.80 per day which would be roughly E210 for the whole trip. The pack travel cover only cost $40 (U.S.). It is too big to carry with me, even if I roll it up. Hmmm....Any ideas? I could try to put my pack in an old suitcase, then put "Gratis" on the suitcase in Pamplona when I get off the bus. I have to check my pack due to the hiking poles, scissors, razor, etc.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Most of the major US airlines have big plastic bags at check-in that you can use to put your checked backpack in. In my experience, they will never offer them but will only provide if asked, sometimes begrudgingly. They are free (or included in the fare) if flying business or first and $5 (Delta and United) if in coach. Depending on the attendant, they may not charge even with a coach ticket if you are a frequent flyer with a lot of miles. The bags are very sturdy.

A possible downside to this is that they don't have any when you get to the airport. I use them all the time that I travel with my backpack and this has never happened to me.

Post the cover on to Ivar and pick it up when you reach Santiago.
I agree!!! I posted my daypack to Ivar in Feb when I started the Camino - it worked out great! And much more reasonable in price! ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are cheaper luggage storage places in Madrid, the airport is just higher. Some hostels will store baggage too, but they're all more expensive than posting forward on the camino. If you're taking a train through Pamplona you could post it from a refugio there rather than lugging it all the way to SJ.

Wow! Thanks for the super-prompt response! I checked the website, and it will cost E5.80 per day which would be roughly E210 for the whole trip. The pack travel cover only cost $40 (U.S.). It is too big to carry with me, even if I roll it up. Hmmm....Any ideas? I could try to put my pack in an old suitcase, then put "Gratis" on the suitcase in Pamplona when I get off the bus. I have to check my pack due to the hiking poles, scissors, razor, etc.

You could just roll the pack straps up tight and make sure there is nothing that could catch on the luggage conveyors.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I bought a travel cover for my Osprey backpack so that I can check it with the checked luggage. Are there lockers in the Madrid airport where I can keep this cover until I return to fly home 35 days later?

Hi, Vikita,
Not that you asked me, but I would never check my backpack. Too many things can go wrong. I know that the total number of bags that never turn up again is exceedingly small, but the forum has had its share of posts by people who checked their bag and then had to wait several days in Madrid or Paris or Pamplona for it to show up. And on the really rare occasion, it never shows up.

And as others have frequently commented, if your pack won't fit in the overhead bin, it is probably way too big for you to be carrying anyway. Sorry to answer a question that you didn't ask, but I couldn't resist. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Carry-on your backpack.
Don't carry any liquids or TSA prohibited items (you can get anything you need in St Jean or Pamplona).
Carry the minimum of gear you need (you will need very little for a June Camino Frances). Pull all the straps tight on the pack, cinch it up as small as possible. It will fit in the maximum dimensions for carry-on's frame thing at the airport. I was always able to do so with an REI 48L pack. No problem.
If your pack is too big to carry-on, or weighs over 15 pounds, you got too much stuff.
ultreia

If you are concerned about carrying your poles, a knife, etc on the plane you can always pack them in a cardboard tube and check that in. If it gets lost it's much easier to replace those few things that your backpack and everything in it.
Your should be able to buy another tube in Santiago or Madrid.

We checked our packs placed inside $5 laundry bags, Our hotel in Barcelona kept them for 11 weeks for our return. I said that I wouldn't care if they got lost. It wasn't for the money that I asked them to store the bags, it was so I wouldn't have to shop for replacements. Turned out that wouldn't have been a problem as the airport had a place where our packs could be wrapped in plastic, something I had never even heard of.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I could try to put my pack in an old suitcase, then put "Gratis" on the suitcase in Pamplona when I get off the bus.
In Europe, due to fright of terror ,never ever just leave a suitcase in public. even if it has a sign that says "free"
If it is your intention just to give it away.

I used a blue Ikea Frakta bag such as the one pictured here:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90149148/

My Osprey pack and poles fit in easily. When I got to Madrid, I folded the bag up and put it at the bottom of my pack. The only hitch is that I don't live near an Ikea, so I bought the bag on eBay (much cheaper than current Amazon prices).

The bag is sturdier than it looks, and I am sure that I will get many trips out of it.

We checked our packs placed inside $5 laundry bags, Our hotel in Barcelona kept them for 11 weeks for our return. I said that I wouldn't care if they got lost. It wasn't for the money that I asked them to store the bags, it was so I wouldn't have to shop for replacements. Turned out that wouldn't have been a problem as the airport had a place where our packs could be wrapped in plastic, something I had never even heard of.
Hi . Doing my first camino in April 2018 May I ask which hotel in Barcelona ? Thinking of staying 1 or 2 nights going and coming as I will be staying some extra days in other areas of spain after my walk .Would give me peace of mind knowing my luggage is safe for use after the camino. Thanks in advance

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi . Doing my first camino in April 2018 May I ask which hotel in Barcelona ? Thinking of staying 1 or 2 nights going and coming as I will be staying some extra days in other areas of spain after my walk .Would give me peace of mind knowing my luggage is safe for use after the camino. Thanks in advance
Paraiso Travellers Hostel, Ronda de Sant Pau, 55-57 Ppal 1, Barcelona, Spain
http://paraisohostel.com/homepage/

It's been three years since we stayed there. It is in an apartment building in which they have rooms. They were working on added rooms when we were there. It looks like they went just a bit upscale but they still have rooms with bunk bunks on the low end (albergue like.) We had a room with a double bed next to a similar room and both connected to a lounge area with a bath and small kitchen. We got a key to the entire area and another to the bed room. Service was fine. Location wasn't too bad, we walked to many places. There were three subway stops that brought you close enough to walk. I felt like it was good value for the money.

Spend enough time in Barcelona for two things at least. Visit the Sagada Familia. We saw it pre-olympics and it was a construction site. I wept when I entered it last. I didn't visit the Catalan Museum and I wish I had as they are said to have a marvelous Romanesque art exhibit and I fell in love with that on the camino. We took the train to Pamplona.

Thank you for your prompt response and information. It is greatly appreciated and I will definately check into it as I need a place to stay. Have friends in Barcelona but I do not want to be a burden so this is a good option.
I also plan on taking the train to Pamplona then bus to Saint Jean
Doing some research I found that BCN has storage areas in T1 and 2 long and short term
Alos found: Locker Barcelona business for private storage In case others are interested http://lockerbarcelona.com/shop2/
Carrer d'Estruc, 36
Carrer d'Estruc, 36, 08002 Barcelona
located in near Plaza de Catalunya

When I was looking on booking.com for a hotel in Madrid last year I looked for one that listed luggage storage under its amenities. I'm not sure if you can filter the results to only include those that have luggage storage. I thought that I could on my computer, but I'm on my phone now, and I and don't see that filter.

When I was looking on booking.com for a hotel in Madrid last year I looked for one that listed luggage storage under its amenities. I'm not sure if you can filter the results to only include those that have luggage storage. I thought that I could on my computer, but I'm on my phone now, and I and don't see that filter.
Thanks.. great idea. I also agree with Booking.com is very useful. I think at the very least if its not listed one can email or call the hotel to ask. Just a few minutes ago I spoke with my friend in Barcelona and my luggage will have a home . one problem solved now on to the next lol. thanks for your help ..

Paraiso Travellers Hostel, Ronda de Sant Pau, 55-57 Ppal 1, Barcelona, Spain
http://paraisohostel.com/homepage/

It's been three years since we stayed there. It is in an apartment building in which they have rooms. They were working on added rooms when we were there. It looks like they went just a bit upscale but they still have rooms with bunk bunks on the low end (albergue like.) We had a room with a double bed next to a similar room and both connected to a lounge area with a bath and small kitchen. We got a key to the entire area and another to the bed room. Service was fine. Location wasn't too bad, we walked to many places. There were three subway stops that brought you close enough to walk. I felt like it was good value for the money.

Spend enough time in Barcelona for two things at least. Visit the Sagada Familia. We saw it pre-olympics and it was a construction site. I wept when I entered it last. I didn't visit the Catalan Museum and I wish I had as they are said to have a marvelous Romanesque art exhibit and I fell in love with that on the camino. We took the train to Pamplona.
Thanks again contacted my friend and my bag will have a home while I walk and me a bed and yes Madrid Airport has lockers https://www.airwise.com/airports/europe/madrid/luggage

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back