• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid: airport, bus, city, Camino

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese, Aragon, Norte, SJWayUK, Nive
Just ending a week in Madrid prior to heading out to serve as a hospitalero in Aragon and thought I’d give a brief update with info for pilgrims traveling through or starting from this fine city!

AIRPORT: despite it being one of the busiest in Europe, immigration was quick and efficient. Easily through it in under 30 minutes for both myself and my wife (we arrived on different days). Helpful staff at the information kiosk, too. Some English spoken on the days we were there.

BUS TO ATOCHA: folks often recommend the express “Yellow Bus” for 8€ (pay by tap if credit card) but we both opted for the regular 203 for 5€ (pay by CC tap, too) which has two additional stops but is almost as fast as the express. While the express claims to come every 15 minutes, neither of us saw it either at the airport or at Atocha - staff said it was running, but we chose the local because it was there and almost as fast.

CAMINO: The Church of Santiago is located near the Cathedral and houses a small office (to the rear left as you walk in) which dispenses shells, sellos, and two types of credentials: a specific one for the Camino Madrid and the usual Camino de Santiago. Church has some wonderful Santiago references both inside and outside. They have recently installed an information plaque which indicates the starting path for the route to Santiago which we easily followed for about 1km until the signage ends. At that point you are simply following a major Madrid city road and signs are not needed for several miles.

THE CITY: Absolutely packed with people as the two weeks of holiday most Spaniards enjoy for Spring has just started. Worth an extra few days if your Camino plans include padding through this area. As a major train hub, you can get to most Camino starting points here via train/bus combinations.While there are no pilgrim-specific albergues, there are plenty of low-cost hostals (I stayed in a shared room at The Hat near Plaza Mayor for 22€ a night.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Will you be at Elias Valina? If so, I look forward to hearing more - I will be there May 15-31!!

They have recently installed an information plaque which indicates the starting path for the route to Santiago which we easily followed for about 1km until the signage ends. At that point you are simply following a major Madrid city road and signs are not needed for several miles.
There are some nicer options, imho, than the route that I have seen posted for getting from the church to the Plaza Castilla. I’m assuming the one they describe goes up Bravo Murillo. I put a couple of google map options here, and they take you on shadier and through more interesting parts of the city.

Thanks for the update, @Vacajoe. Looking forward to hearing about your hospitalero-ing.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think you are right about the route they show as the “official” one but I swear the street was Calle de San Bernardo. Perhaps it has two names?

Will you be at Elias Valina? If so, I look forward to hearing more - I will be there May 15-31!!
I'm planning on staying there, but will be there just before you get there (1-2 weeks before)!

Just ending a week in Madrid prior to heading out to serve as a hospitalero in Aragon and thought I’d give a brief update with info for pilgrims traveling through or starting from this fine city!

AIRPORT: despite it being one of the busiest in Europe, immigration was quick and efficient. Easily through it in under 30 minutes for both myself and my wife (we arrived on different days). Helpful staff at the information kiosk, too. Some English spoken on the days we were there.

BUS TO ATOCHA: folks often recommend the express “Yellow Bus” for 8€ (pay by tap if credit card) but we both opted for the regular 203 for 5€ (pay by CC tap, too) which has two additional stops but is almost as fast as the express. While the express claims to come every 15 minutes, neither of us saw it either at the airport or at Atocha - staff said it was running, but we chose the local because it was there and almost as fast.

CAMINO: The Church of Santiago is located near the Cathedral and houses a small office (to the rear left as you walk in) which dispenses shells, sellos, and two types of credentials: a specific one for the Camino Madrid and the usual Camino de Santiago. Church has some wonderful Santiago references both inside and outside. They have recently installed an information plaque which indicates the starting path for the route to Santiago which we easily followed for about 1km until the signage ends. At that point you are simply following a major Madrid city road and signs are not needed for several miles.

THE CITY: Absolutely packed with people as the two weeks of holiday most Spaniards enjoy for Spring has just started. Worth an extra few days if your Camino plans include padding through this area. As a major train hub, you can get to most Camino starting points here via train/bus combinations.While there are no pilgrim-specific albergues, there are plenty of low-cost hostals (I stayed in a shared room at The Hat near Plaza Mayor for 22€ a night.)
Hi there I am spending two nights in the Hat Madrid post Camino on return journey, was a bit trepedacious about booking. Is it ok for guy 60 or would I feel out of place. Should I can cel and book elsewhere?

Thanks
JJ

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there I am spending two nights in the Hat Madrid post Camino on return journey, was a bit trepedacious about booking. Is it ok for guy 60 or would I feel out of place. Should I can cel and book elsewhere?

Thanks
JJ

In 2014 I was 51. I checked-in Hat, looked around, checked-out without charge.

Clientele too young.

Another of the surprises that I've found after making my arrangements is Dos de Mayo, in Madrid. On the advice of a friend, I booked two nights in Madrid after flying from Australia, to acclimate. It wasn't until after booking that I learned about the history of Dos de Mayo. Now, I'll have an entire day to wander Madrid on this very special day.
Just another of the small gifts I've found hidden within the journey. I can only imagine how many other such blessings await me between Madrid and Muxia.
Of course, now I'm wondering how this will affect my plan to pick up my pilgrim passport on May 2nd??? Oh, well... The Camino has provided all the answers, so far...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m 55 and was surprised at the range of ages there. That being said, I certainly wasn’t part of the “cool kids” crowd but at my age, why would I want to be?!?! I found the rooms very comfortable, breakfast delicious, the lounge space accessible, and the location unbeatable. After staying in Camino albergues, it almost felt luxurious 😂. My advice would be to book a bed in a larger room, though, so you aren’t the old guy in a small room of just four beds. Otherwise, it was a great place for the price (23€)

Thanks for your post Vacajoe, very useful and helpful. I plan to land in Madrid in the first week of September and to stay for about 4-5 days to acclimatize and enjoy the city before I start my Camino. I've been to Madrid 2 times before, years apart. It's a great city. I was planning to catch a train to Longrono, to start from where I left off in 2022. However, reading your post has made me think it might be possible to start walking from Madrid. I assume that there is a marked way from there? A route that goes to Santiago? I'll do some research and check.

Yes, Madrid to Sahagun, then the CF to SdC. There’s a current thread of someone walking part of it now you should look at. It would be a contemplative walk for sure and very different from the CF.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I shall be staying in The Hat for the second time the end of September, in preparation for my second walk from Madrid to Santiago. The combination of location. price, and service were just too desirable for me to seek another option. What I remember most about my night there in 2019 was being placed in a male dormitory, there being no bed available elsewhere. By some strange twist of fate, the few youung men there were incredibly quiet. I enjoyed a good night's sleep and set off rested in the morning. I am hoping for the same this time.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Greetings! I will be traveling with my daughter to walk the Camino Portuguese from Porto in July. The dates are a bit flexible, but not completely so. I’ve been researching flight tickets, and...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back