• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid Airport - Cell plan

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi...will be walking the Camino Primitivo next May. Flying in to Madrid and then likely to Oviedo same day. I was hoping to setup a cell phone plan between flights in the airport...Vodafone, Orange or other however can’t find any information on how to do this.

Appreciate any suggestions....

Thanks

Guy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi...will be walking the Camino Primitivo next May. Flying in to Madrid and then likely to Oviedo same day. I was hoping to setup a cell phone plan between flights in the airport...Vodafone, Orange or other however can’t find any information on how to do this.

Thanks

Guy
When I bought my SIM card there was an outlet as you come off the plane which was much higher priced than the outlet at the subway.
I paid 20€ for my plan.

Thanks

Guy
Can’t help on the sim-card question but do note that Oviedo airport is nowhere near Oviedo. You might find you’ll have time, while waiting for a bus or train from Madrid, to pick up a sim from an urban retailer rather than pay airport premiums

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thanks

Guy
This may not apply to you Guy but just to let people from outside Europe know, it's free to roam your mobile phone service from one EU country to another. To be more specific, If you use a Sim card from one EU country in another EU country the charges are the same as if you were still in the original country. This applies to calls, texts and data. It applies to calls and texts to all other EU countries (only once you have left the original country) So if you buy a Sim in France and then travel to Spain, you can call anywhere in the EU at the same rate as the tariff in France. This applies to Pay as you go, including any add on packs. It also applies to contract plans with inclusive minutes, texts and data.
This will apply on Sims from the UK at least till the end of 2020 (when the UK is planned to leave the EU). IT will probably apply after this date as well but better to check at the time.
Its worth noting that Spanish Mobile companies are not considered very competitive on price compared to other EU countries.

Many thanks for the great info...also found out that Orange allows one to purchase a plan online and have the SIM card shipped to a home address. When you arrive at your destination plan is automatically activated once the SIM card is inserted as long as you have an unlocked phone and allow roaming.

Have anyone successfully used this approach?

Happy Holidays!

Guy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had understood that you could not purchase outside of Spain. We had to show ID etc as non-citizens with our purchase. Perhaps the law has changed, but that was implemented after terrorist attacks in Madrid some years ago.

We use T Mobile which offers free data and low cost calls with our regular US plan. We use that in Spain with Whatsap. Don't know what service you have in Canada?

We also have an old school flip phone with a Spanish number mainly for use when we are hospitaleros. We just add 5 Euros to it every year to keep the number active. We don't use it much.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
GuyA,

Spain does require that you register your SIM if it’s a Spanish number so you can get a Spanish SIM in the US but to activate it you need to provide your passport at a physical location in Spain. As mentioned previously, if you get a French, German, etc. SIM, there is no secondary registration step and, as noted there is no roaming charge within the EU. If you buy your SIM in Spain, they register it at the same time. Personally, I get an EU SIM from another country and skip the extra step, I normally use 3UK but the whole Brexit mess may kill that option. Good luck, Buen Camino.

GuyA,

Spain does require that you register your SIM if it’s a Spanish number so you can get a Spanish SIM in the US but to activate it you need to provide your passport at a physical location in Spain. As mentioned previously, if you get a French, German, etc. SIM, there is no secondary registration step and, as noted there is no roaming charge within the EU. If you buy your SIM in Spain, they register it at the same time. Personally, I get an EU SIM from another country and skip the extra step, I normally use 3UK but the whole Brexit mess may kill that option. Good luck, Buen Camino.

Many thanks...the prepaid Orange plan I was looking at provided a UK phone number so it would seem that I can get the plan, SIM card ahead of time in Canada and activate on my own upon arrival. If it costs a bit more to do this not concerned for peace of mind.

Cheers
Guy

The plus to a UK number is that the menu is in English, as noted, this may not be an option after 2020.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Forgot to mention but you probably know, calling will require entering the country code, Spain is +34 if your SIM is not from a Spanish provider.

I bought Lebara prepaid SIM in a shop at T4. Second floor, right side, as I remember. They also selling other staff, not SIM only.

If you get a Spanish SIM then hotels, albergues, taxis and so on can call you without making an international call (and possibly they may not want to). On the other hand, you can only use the carrier for that SIM. If the carrier has bad coverage where you are then you can't connect. With a foreign SIM roaming in Spain your phone can connect to any tower around.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Depends what you need. If you live outside Europe, calls and mobile internet can be expensive. From other side, throw out your SIM after Camino. I had no problem with that carrier, almost everywhere had coverage and 4G.

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.