• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid airport connection to Porto

MQB

Time of past OR future Camino
del norte or santiago (2016)
We are beginning our Camino in Porto. Iberia airlines has a flight from Boston to Madrid to Porto, with 1 hr 5 minute layover in Madrid. As a US citizen, won't I have to clear customs or passport control before going on to Porto? I'm worried that is not enough time. Our other option is a longer layover or flying to Lisbon and taking the train to Porto. Any thoughts appreciated

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Airlines rarely sell tickets that make a connection impossible, that being said I've missed a few. The time that the duty and immigration process takes in European is much better than the US but the Madrid airport is large and you need to be prepared to navigate it quickly.
I met one person a few years ago who took the train from Madrid to Porto and she left her backpack in the public area of the train and it was not there when she got off the train. There are lots of cautionary stories about pickpockets and other opportunists around the airport and train station.

won't I have to clear customs or passport control before going on to Porto?

Yes, you'll have to clear both customs and immigration.

I'm worried that is not enough time.

The minimum transit time in Madrid airport between two flights like yours is 55 minutes. That's the legal minimum and it's supposed to allow people enough time as to get from one flight to the next one on time if both flights are on time. You would have 10 extra minutes to make it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are beginning our Camino in Porto. Iberia airlines has a flight from Boston to Madrid to Porto, with 1 hr 5 minute layover in Madrid. As a US citizen, won't I have to clear customs or passport control before going on to Porto? I'm worried that is not enough time. Our other option is a longer layover or flying to Lisbon and taking the train to Porto. Any thoughts appreciated

If you have a choice ... get one with longer layover. You might make the 1:05 through customs .... but your baggage is also part of the equation and I would feel uncomfortable about the short layover on that basis alone.

Airlines rarely sell tickets that make a connection impossible, that being said I've missed a few. The time that the duty and immigration process takes in European is much better than the US but the Madrid airport is large and you need to be prepared to navigate it quickly.
I met one person a few years ago who took the train from Madrid to Porto and she left her backpack in the public area of the train and it was not there when she got off the train. There are lots of cautionary stories about pickpockets and other opportunists around the airport and train station.
Thank you!

Yes, you'll have to clear both customs and immigration.

The minimum transit time in Madrid airport between two flights like yours is 55 minutes. That's the legal minimum and it's supposed to allow people enough time as to get from one flight to the next one on time if both flights are on time. You would have 10 extra minutes to make it.
Good info- thank you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would take the flight into Lisbon and take the train up to Porto. I used this train two years ago. Trains are very regular but make sure you take the express service, they are obvious on the timetable and also check out the price of first class, it was only a few euro more.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back