• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid airport, hotel recomendation

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
Hello all,

I will need a hotel near the Madrid airport upon arrival and then before my return to the U.S. Could anyone recommend an INEXPENSIVE hotel near the airport--or at least from which I can easily get to and from the airport?

thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello all,

I will need a hotel near the Madrid airport upon arrival and then before my return to the U.S. Could anyone recommend an INEXPENSIVE hotel near the airport--or at least from which I can easily get to and from the airport?

thanks!

Susan:

Inexpensive is a relative term. I recommend you look on booking.com and it will list all the hotels in the area. You can further break down choice by selecting a price range. If you are looking for a hotel based on someones experience, it would help if you put a number to "inexpensive". There are many good hotels around the airport.

Ultreya,
Joe

If you are flying to/from T4, there's a commuter train service linking that terminal with several areas of downtown Madrid. In that case, an hotel close to Atocha train station (27 minutes away from the T4 of the airport by train) may be a good idea. If you arrive to T1, Atocha train station is roughly 30 minutes away from the T1 of the airport if you take the express bus. The express bus out of T4 takes roughly 40 minutes to Atocha. You can use the search feature to look for accommodations close to Atocha station that have been recommended by other users. It's a popular area to stay so you shouldn't have problems to find them. Chamartín train station is closer to the airport (13 minutes by train to Terminal 4) but it's a less popular area with less choice of accommodations although there's a 4 star hotel at Chamartín train station itself but, given its star rating, it probably won't be inexpensive.

If you choose a hotel close to the airport, ask whether they offer shuttle transport to/from the airport because, otherwise, it might be easier (and/or cheaper) to go to a hotel in downtown Madrid.

There's an accommodation at the airport itself: www.premium-traveller.com/en/air-rooms No idea about fares though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Susan:

Inexpensive is a relative term. I recommend you look on booking.com and it will list all the hotels in the area. You can further break down choice by selecting a price range. If you are looking for a hotel based on someones experience, it would help if you put a number to "inexpensive". There are many good hotels around the airport.

Ultreya,
Joe

I am flabergasted at what some people call inexpensive! Maybe I am living in the past to much :oops:

We recently stayed in Paris post Camino and were paying e200+ a night. to me that IS expensive for a small hotel room. To others it's not ........

I'm not sure 'near Airport' and 'Inexpensive' really fit.........near any major Airport :(

I quick look on Booking.com seems to have a few in the e100 range

Last edited:
Hello all,

thanks!

@Susan B. Johnson:
I have spent some time searching for hotel accommodation near the Madrid airport on Booking.com and have discovered that the area around the airport has the same name as the airport, Barajas. If you search for a room in this neighbourhood, which is listed on Booking.com, you will get a list of all the accommodation near the airport. Set up your search to list cheapest first. Some of the accommodation will offer shuttle transportation to the airport as a special feature. If you choose such a hotel, check that the airport shuttle schedule works for you and where to get it at the airport. Of course, you can take a taxi, but I understand very well your request for an INEXPENSIVE hotel. I have not yet booked there myself, as I took an overnight bus to Madrid from Santiago after my camino last fall (I wouldn't do that again). When you are flying out, if there is no shuttle ask at Reception the best way to get to your terminal at the airport. There are local buses and a Metro (subway stop) in Barajas, but I would prefer not to try to get around on them when arriving after a long flight from North America. Good luck and Buen camino.

A large number of the hotels near the Madrid airport have regular shuttle service. I have stayed twice at nearby hotels and both times used Booking.com (last minute) and found a nice room for around 60 euro's. I can not judge, for you, whether this is inexpensive. I think it is reasonable for a nice Hotel, in a major city, near the airport.

You are no longer on the Camino:).

Ultreya,
Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Susan, I stayed at Hostal Los Coronales near Madrid Airport a month ago. Nice place with free shuttle between terminal and Hostal. I booked thru Booking.com, or you can call +34 91 748 1545 or email - reservas@hostalcoronales.com - they speak English, if that helps. I had a small single with full bath for €60 / $72 - but when they charge to your credit card, ask to have it charged in EUROS, not dollars.
Buen Camino!
Terry

Susan,
If you haven't already, try the Trivago site. I can't guarantee you'll find any thing inexpensive 'near' the airport, but you will get price comparisons for the same room over a number of of different providers.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Madrid Metro connects the airport to all of Madrid.

Sol district has lots of hotels that are reasonable in cost and close to a Metro station.

Be sure to verify the actual location of an "airport" hotel before booking. We booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express which was advertised as an airport hotel, and it was a half-hour, 30€ taxi ride from T4. They did not have a shuttle, and the Hilton next door would not allow non-guests to use their shuttle.

I recently stayed at the Melia Barajas Hotel, booked through Booking.com. It is a four star hotel but the rate from Booking.com was around 90 euros including tax. Look for the bargains on the website. There is a shuttle that runs every half hour and takes only a few minutes to get to the airport. The hotel has a restaurant and bar and a swimming pool that should be open in another week or two. We opted to eat in the town, easy walking distance, though there is a McDonanld's right next door. It is also near the Metro if you have enough time to go into Madrid.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On the way back to the US, I booked the late Ryanair flight from Santiago into Terminal 4, and then slept in the airport. I found a darkish spot behind a row of benches and next to an outlet to roll out my sleeping pad and get in my bag. Better than a lot of albergues...

I have a 6:20 am flight from Madrid, so I booked near the airport at Hotel Clement, because their shuttle service starts at 4:00. I'm paying about $75. It also had very good reviews on TripAdvisor and elsewhere. I also considered Hostal Viky, as their reviews were quite good too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello all,

thanks!
Barajas Plaza. 40€. Public Bus to terminal: 1€ (a year ago). Better than Viky and I've stayed in both.

On the way back to the US, I booked the late Ryanair flight from Santiago into Terminal 4, and then slept in the airport. I found a darkish spot behind a row of benches and next to an outlet to roll out my sleeping pad and get in my bag. Better than a lot of albergues...

We did that last year. Quite a lot of people were sleeping in the airport that night, but we were the only ones in comfortable sleeping bags, with pilgrim hats over our faces to keep the lights out of our eyes...

Thanks for starting this thread. We will be flying out of Madrid early in the morning but most places don't have early enough shuttle times. I prefer to go thru screening earlier to avoid the line ups. I just booked with hostal los Coranales thru booking.com even though we aren't departing Madrid until October. Last time we stayed further away from the airport and took a taxi and the price was crazy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for starting this thread. We will be flying out of Madrid early in the morning but most places don't have early enough shuttle times. I prefer to go thru screening earlier to avoid the line ups. I just booked with hostal los Coranales thru booking.com even though we aren't departing Madrid until October. Last time we stayed further away from the airport and took a taxi and the price was crazy.
I stayed at Aeropuerto de Madrid, Barajas, Terminal T4, Planta -1 (Zona tierra), Barajas, 28042 Madrid, Spain see Booking.com. easy as, right next to train terminal T4

There is a hotel AT T4, Barajas airport, but it is defenitely not
inexpensive. You'll find it on any bookingcompanies. I use to stay at Hotel Diana with airporttransport, but I do not remember how early it starts in the morning. It is usually easier to get a taxi to the airport from a hotel in the neighborough than the other way. Does not cost much.

There is a hotel AT T4, Barajas airport, but it is defenitely not
inexpensive. You'll find it on any bookingcompanies. I use to stay at Hotel Diana with airporttransport, but I do not remember how early it starts in the morning. It is usually easier to get a taxi to the airport from a hotel in the neighborough than the other way. Does not cost much.
Since I have a 6:15 am flight I was really tempted to book the in airport hotel, but the price stopped me. :)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all,

thanks!
I'm going in June 2017, I got a hotel right across the Rd from the airport, on the way back we got a more expensive one for a bit of luxury before we fly home, if you look online there are virtually hundreds of hotels and hostels prices from $40 a night to as much as u want to spend.

Like Scikowski I stayed at the Melia Barajas with its very convenient shuttle, but walking around Barajas village saw about a dozen reasonable-looking hostals and small hotels which would have been just as convenient and perhaps half the price. Their sites will let you know if they run a shuttle.

Very satisfied customer (June 2018) of Hostal Viky -- www.hostal-viky.com

Price was right... Airport shuttle service worked perfectly.... Room was austere but entirely adequate for my simple needs and desk staff was not unfriendly.... Nice shops and restaurants on the main Barajas plaza just a block away.... Would stay again.

Very satisfied customer (June 2018) of Hostal Viky -- www.hostal-viky.com

Price was right... Airport shuttle service worked perfectly.... Room was austere but entirely adequate for my simple needs and desk staff was not unfriendly.... Nice shops and restaurants on the main Barajas plaza just a block away.... Would stay again.
My wife and I stayed there in May 2017. I won't disagree with your assessment because we didn't get a room in the main building, which looks very nice and modern in the photos on the website. But they assigned us in a room the rather seedy building across the street which was old and dark and had no A/C, and thus we sweated all night in 90+ F discomfort. I guess the moral is to insist on seeing the room before signing on the dotted line.

My wife and I stayed there in May 2017. I won't disagree with your assessment because we didn't get a room in the main building, which looks very nice and modern in the photos on the website. But they assigned us in a room the rather seedy building across the street which was old and dark and had no A/C, and thus we sweated all night in 90+ F discomfort. I guess the moral is to insist on seeing the room before signing on the dotted line.
I almost booked Hostal Viky, but then I read reviews about the substandard rooms in the other building.

I stayed there in the main building and was very comfortable. As that was in December, I suppose that there was a lesser chance of my being put in a secondary building, and no chance of my being too hot. I especially liked the airport shuttle service, after having a very challenging time getting to the airport the year before. I would stay there again, but off the main tourist season.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back