• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid airport lodging

goodjuju

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues - from Porto (Sept. 2019)
I have a question for the end of my journey: After I spend a day or so in SDC I have an evening flight to Madrid, arriving at 9:35 pm. I just need a basic place to sleep because I have a flight to the states via London the following morning at 10:45 am and I should probably be at the airport at 7:45 am for an international flight. Any suggestions where I can spend the night close to the Madrid airport, inexpensively, and catch an early metro or some other form of transit to the airport in the morning? Is air bnb the way to go or?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Terminal 4 (T4) has a hotel-type place inside called Air Rooms, but I would not call them inexpensive :/

Hopefully some forum member has a good suggestion for you :)

A few years ago I stayed at the Hostal Viky. for a twin room, it was around 55 €, which I split with a friend. They had a free pickup and shuttle back to the airport. I didn’t notice much around the airport, but like you we arrived late and left early the next morning.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a question for the end of my journey: After I spend a day or so in SDC I have an evening flight to Madrid, arriving at 9:35 pm. I just need a basic place to sleep because I have a flight to the states via London the following morning at 10:45 am and I should probably be at the airport at 7:45 am for an international flight. Any suggestions where I can spend the night close to the Madrid airport, inexpensively, and catch an early metro or some other form of transit to the airport in the morning? Is air bnb the way to go or?
I asked a similar question on this forum a few years ago and one of our members very helpfully suggested that I hit a few tapas bars before crashing at the airport to await my next morning’s flight. ;)

There are quite a few places you can stay in Barajas, which is the Madrid suburb the airport is in. From central Barajas you can actually walk to terminals 1,2,3 in 15 minutes or less (or it’s 1 metro stop to Terminal 4). We stayed at Hotel Don Luis, where we paid 43 euros for a double room in 2015. You can check out the options in Barajas at booking.com. In Barajas’ central square, there are also plenty of options to eat. From central Barajas, there’s a pedestrian bridge that will take you over the freeway and right to the airport.

I, also, have stayed at the Hotel Don Luis. It is a 15 minute walk or a 5 minute bus ride from the airport. I walked to the hotel but when I came back in the morning I took the bus for 1 euro since I had stuffed my pack into a duffle bag for checking it in that made it more difficult to carry. I think that I paid aroun 35 euro for a single room. There are several hotels in Barajas but I think the Don Luis is the leasts expensive.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We have used Hostal Viky several times - but the last time we just needed to sleep at or near Barajas (with a very, very early morning departure) we asked the airport guards around midnight where we could sleep, and they showed us where they would prefer us to unroll our sleeping bags. There were about a dozen people sleeping in chairs - and us in our full pilgrim luxury. I put my cap with the Camino arrow on display on the back of a chair :).

One of the guards even showed me where I could refill my water bottle instead of buying plastic bottle from the machine...

Also, and just as an FYI, the Hotel IBIS in Barajas has a free airport shuttle. But be sure to pre-book it the night before so you are assured of a seat.

The last time I was there, a group muscled in to take the free shuttle instead of sharing a taxi, and forced me to take a taxi, as I had a flight to make.

Of course, it was just me in the taxi, even though I offered to anyone else so affected to give them a free ride to the airport.

Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In 2018 I stayed one night in the Hostal Viky and was very satisfied. Will soon be a repeat customer....

I'd pre-booked online, using booking.com .... When I arrived at the Barajas T4 ALSA bus stop I called the hostal and was picked up w/in 30 minutes.... Room was no frills, but perfectly adequate (and better than some I've stayed in on the Way!) ... Neighborhood very much off the tourist trail, and for that reason charming.... Nice restaurants on the nearby plaza, plus several grocery stores where I could stock up on this-and-that for the trip home (like 5 Euro bottles of Spanish whisky, which is worth not a penny more than you pay for it!).... Was dropped off at the airport next morning, at a time convenient for me.... What's not to like?

Two years ago, I “slept” in the Madrid airport. My bus arrived at about 11 pm and I knew I could check-in at the airline kiosk at 6 am. But the wait was brutal even though I found a quiet area where only a few other people were also trying to sleep. And then my plane was delayed 3 hours, ugh. The next year I booked a hotel at the airport before I left home and got a great deal. It was the Tryp Alameda Barajas Airport Hotel, but looking at booking .com, it’s a lot more expensive now. There are lots of hotels close to the airport though and many have shuttle service.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We loved the Marriott at the airport. It is affordable.

We loved the Marriott at the airport. It is affordable.

Ibis Aeroporto is a third of the price of the Marriott. The OP is looking for inexpensive accommodation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Tach madrid, also has free airport shuttle

Like others we stayed at Vikey in Barajas. Not a beautiful area but nice people and close to bars and restaurants. Great shuttle service. I’d do it again.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back