• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid Airport - Taxi + Train Advice

CaminoBear

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP-Burgos 2010
Burgos-Leon 2013
Leon-SDC October 2014..??
Hi folks,

I'm flying to Madrid, landing around 10am on a Saturday.
There's a train to Leon leaving from Chamartin at 11:05am, the next one is 14:40 so a long wait involved and hoping to get the earlier one. Is this too ambitious?

I'm looking at taking a taxi from T1 to Chamartin. Any idea how much this should cost?
Any tips dealing with taxi drivers at the airport?

thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't know where you are coming from but wherever it is you must allow for delays. Remember to allow time if you have checked baggage. I personally don't like giving myself any unnecessary stress so if it were me I would save money by using the Metro to Charmartin. Take Line 8 (the only one at the airport) to Nuevo Miniserios, change to line 10 going to Hospital Del Norte and get off at 4th stop (Chamartin). I would relax, take my time, begin to enjoy Spain with a long leisurely lunch spending the money I have saved!

I don't know where you are coming from but wherever it is you must allow for delays. Remember to allow time if you have checked baggage. I personally don't like giving myself any unnecessary stress so if it were me I would save money by using the Metro to Charmartin. Take Line 8 (the only one at the airport) to Nuevo Miniserios, change to line 10 going to Hospital Del Norte and get off at 4th stop (Chamartin). I would relax, take my time, begin to enjoy Spain with a long leisurely lunch spending the money I have saved!
Hi Al, mind if I join a question regarding going from Madrid Airport to Pamplona?
Last year, I flew from Barcelona directly to Pamplona with Vueling but they meanwhile seem to have abandoned this route. My choices would therefore be to either take a train departing from Barcelona or from Madrid, the difference in traveling time being only minimal. Thanks in advance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pano you would need to travel to Atocha to catch the train from Madrid. Again Line 8 to Nuevo Ministerios, Then line 10 (direction Puerta del Sur) for 3 stops to Tribunal, then Line 1 (direction Villaverde Alto) for 5 stops to Atocha. see renfe.com for trains. They take anything from 3 to 4 hours. If you are over 60 buy the "Targeta Dorado" at the counter before buying your ticket (you have to show your passport). This will get you a discount that far outweighs it's cost. The ticket gets you discounts for one year at some cathedrals etc as well as on the trains.

There is an official, 30e taxi flat fare from Barajas (now Adolfo Suárez-Barajas) airport to Madrid center.
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/Page/1237554330997/
"Madrileños" consider this fare rather expensive.
They usually take the metro, as mentioned above. You need to buy a special ticket -save it, because you will need it to exit. Last time in Madrid, there were some nice people at the metro terminal, explaining the system to tourists -and they speak English. Carry your backpack in front of you while on the subway .
Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was just in Madrid.

There is a bus stand at Terminal 4 with a kiosk inside to purchase your tickets straight to Leon, or wherever you wish to start.

Better than spending extra $ to get downtown, unless of course, you wish to sight-see.

Good luck

Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Hi folks,

I'm flying to Madrid, landing around 10am on a Saturday.
There's a train to Leon leaving from Chamartin at 11:05am, the next one is 14:40 so a long wait involved and hoping to get the earlier one. Is this too ambitious?

I'm looking at taking a taxi from T1 to Chamartin. Any idea how much this should cost?
Any tips dealing with taxi drivers at the airport?

thanks!

You have absolutely zero chance of catching the 1105 train. It will take at least a half hour just to deplane. Even a taxi will take longer than a half hour to get from the airport to Chamartin. We haven't allowed time for customs, luggage, and plane delays either.

Consider adding lunch to your itinerary at Chamartin ... it will help while away the hour or so you will have to wait for your train at 1440.

Thanks to all for their input.
I've decided to take the later train and smell some roses :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pano you would need to travel to Atocha to catch the train from Madrid. Again Line 8 to Nuevo Ministerios, Then line 10 (direction Puerta del Sur) for 3 stops to Tribunal, then Line 1 (direction Villaverde Alto) for 5 stops to Atocha. see renfe.com for trains. They take anything from 3 to 4 hours. If you are over 60 buy the "Targeta Dorado" at the counter before buying your ticket (you have to show your passport). This will get you a discount that far outweighs it's cost. The ticket gets you discounts for one year at some cathedrals etc as well as on the trains.
Al (or anyone else in the know), do I understand correctly that if one buys a train ticket to Pamplona from the Airport, one gets the ride to Atocha on the Cercania thrown in? Seems, I've seen that somewhere. Thanks!
Terry

Al (or anyone else in the know), do I understand correctly that if one buys a train ticket to Pamplona from the Airport, one gets the ride to Atocha on the Cercania thrown in? Seems, I've seen that somewhere. Thanks!
Terry

I can't get the website to give me a ticket from the airport ... I gather you can buy a ticket at the airport that would include the Cercanius and the train from Atocha to Pamplona. I am unable to find that this is cheaper than the ticket from Atocha to Pamplona. It sounds likely though we are talking about 2 or 3 euros.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry, I don't know I have never done the journey. Being in England I find flying to La Coruna, Biaritz, or Oviedo easier for caminos and if I fly to Madrid to visit friends I get collected at the airport normally.

There is a train going between the airport and Chamartin. I took it this summer, it takes about 20 min. You don't have to change. Buen camino!
I too am hoping to take the 14:40 train from Chamartin to Leon, where do I get the train to Chamartin from the airport (is there a name for this train)? Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just my personal opinion because it has worked for me a few times and I like things easy and I've never had a problem and easy sometimes outweighs less expensive...

To get to the Train station (Charmartin)...leave terminal of arrival... find taxi stand... get in taxi... say "Charmartin".

Pleasant ride through the city and I've made it there pretty quick but not quick enough for the initial question.

I have purchased tickets at the train station with no problem too.

I've also taken the train and bus both from Madrid to Leon and I have found the train to be a more pleasant and comfortable experience.

I too am hoping to take the 14:40 train from Chamartin to Leon, where do I get the train to Chamartin from the airport (is there a name for this train)? Thanks

You can buy the ticket to Leon at Chamartin or at the Cercanius outlet at the airport. There are advantages to purchasing in advance such as possibility of lower fares or not having to wait in line while the clock is ticking. The disadvantage is you lose flexibility in events such as if your plane arrives late.

In the worst event where you are tight on time buy the ticket on the train ... this is a cash transaction only.

2007 Madrid Airport to train station Chamartin

a. Chamartin is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; and, line 10 to Chamartin.

b. Chamartin is reached by Renfe Cercanius (essentially light rail transit) direct from Madrid Airport T4.

Madrid Airport (MAD)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

Information about the inter-terminal shuttle is located here:
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee...554331229//Connections-between-terminals.html

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

Madrid Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/documentos/planos/Planomayo2013.pdf

Madrid Cercanius (operated by Renfe)
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Greetings! I will be traveling with my daughter to walk the Camino Portuguese from Porto in July. The dates are a bit flexible, but not completely so. I’ve been researching flight tickets, and...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back