• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid airport to chamartin, how long it takes?

Satsuma82

Time of past OR future Camino
primitivo aug/-16
My plane arrives in Madrid T2 17.10, do i have any changes to get the 18.30 Train in chamartin?
I understood there is bus that takes me to the terminal 4, where I can take train to chamartin.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Take the Cercanias Train out of T4. It takes about 35 minutes to get the Charmartin. Note that if you have a train ticket already on RENFE, you can use the locator code to get a free ride on the Cercanias train. Check their website to determine departure times and how they fit into your itinerary. - Steve

Your timings are very tight - you might be lucky, or you might not.

There's a free shuttle bus from T2 to T4. When you reach T4, go downstairs to catch the Cercianos train to Chamartin. It only takes 11 minutes, BUT as far as I can recall, the trains run every 30 minutes. As @StFina suggests, it would be worth checking the departure times. If you're likely to have a long wait for the train, a taxi might be a more reliable option.

There's more information here: http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/A.../en/Page/1237554326802//Public-transport.html

Good luck! If your flight is on time and you're travelling with hand luggage, it might work out OK. If it were me, I would definitely try to make it happen.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Madrid Metro has a station at the North end of T1T2T3 building. This is a long walk ... allow 10 minutes.

Metro runs every 6 - 12 minutes. Due to shuttle time and frequency of service of Cercanias train (every 30 minutes) which leaves from T4 ... Metro is your best option.

Metro takes approx 30 minutes including a transfer from line 8 to line 10 at Neuvo Ministeros to get from Airport to Chamartin.

Your timings are too tight. I would suggest that you have a plan B. I would further suggest making a plan that involves staying in Madrid and catching your train in the AM.

Hi Satsuma82! Welcome to the forum!

My plane arrives in Madrid T2 17.10, do i have any changes to get the 18.30 Train in chamartin?

If you plan to take the Cercanías out of T4, you would need to take the 17:57 one. Bus transfer from T2 to T4 won't be more than 15 minutes but you have to add the time to get to the right bus stop at T2 (be sure you go to the bus stop for buses heanding to T4 and not for buses heading to T1) and the time to get from the bus stop at T4 to the train station. On the plus side, arriving to T2 you don't have to pass immigration. I don't know if you'll have checked luggage but have that in mind too to estimate times.

If you are short of time, a taxi costs 30 Euros.

Taxi from T2/T1 to Chamartin costs 30 euros and takes max 15 min. if you are short of time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you all for great advises. My Blan B is taking a bus, but would rather travel with Train (faster..).
At this point taxi sounds liike the best option :)

I understood there is bus that takes me to the terminal 4, where I can take train to chamartin.

Your timing is very tight.

What about if your flight is late a couple of minutes as usually they are in the late afternoon.

I do not understand all this RUSH to the camino.
Please, have lots of time next time so you don´t have to worry about this.

IF my flight is late, i will take the bus. I am not worrying about this, just trying to get early in Oviedo so i can get a good night sleep :) if that wont happen, it is OK. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oviedo is about 450 km away from Madrid.
At least 7-8 hours by bus.

Last edited:
I do not understand all this RUSH to the camino.
Please, have lots of time next time so you don´t have to worry about this.
Some people do not have the luxury of extra time and extra days or even the luxury of a next time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You would be cutting it very close, assuming your flight comes in on-time you don’t have to collect luggage. Take a taxi for 35 euros from T2 to Chamartin.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back