• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid Airport to Pamplona

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, if I do a search for “Madrid to Pamplona” in the top right search box I get threads that are several years old.

So . . . .

. . . . could anyone please advise the easiest way to get from Madrid airport to Pamplona post covid?

Many thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, if I do a search for “Madrid to Pamplona” in the top right search box I get threads that are several years old.

So . . . .

. . . . could anyone please advise the easiest way to get from Madrid airport to Pamplona post covid?

Many thanks!
I would fly. Adding Madrid-Pampona and Santiago-Madrid (or wherever you wind up) frequently adds very little to the cost of the round trip ticket. That will be true primarily for those who fly on the One World Alliance, Iberia, American, BA, etc, because naturally most of the intra-Spain flights are Iberia. I got this tip years ago from a forum member and it has made my caminos much more enjoyable and usually gives me two extra days that I would ordinarily have to spend traveling.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was looking at Rome to Rio on how to get to Pamploma in a reasonable amount of time. I plan on taking the train to Atocha then train to Pamploma. My plane lands at 0830am. How much time should I allow from landing and to getting to the train station? I would like to book my train ahead of time.

I was looking at Rome to Rio on how to get to Pamploma in a reasonable amount of time. I plan on taking the train to Atocha then train to Pamploma. My plane lands at 0830am. How much time should I allow from landing and to getting to the train station? I would like to book my train ahead of time.
I’ve done it in 1-15 when I didn’t need to. If I had a train ticket booked I’d allow 2-30.

Variables: immigration; baggage handling; Covid documents, arrival of bus; traffic, queue at Atocha …

You do need to book the train in advance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

So . . . .

Many thanks!
Alsa runs a bus directly from Barajas to Pomplona - about 30+euro, 5 hours. Looks like there are two or three per day.

So . . . .

Many thanks!
ALSA bus from Terminal 4

I did this in September 2021. I bought my train ticket for departure from Atocha 5 hours after scheduled arrival of my plane to Barajas. This gave me some slack in case my flight was delayed. However, it wasn't delayed and I had 2 hours to kill prior to train departure. That gave me time to walk out of the terminal and buy some euros and a sandwich for lunch.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
you will probably arrive at terminal 4. If my memory serves me correctly from T4 there is a bus that goes directly to Pamplona. And from where the bus leaves you off in Pamplona you can walk to the Camino. Hope this helps

So . . . .

Many thanks!
I used ALSA bus in Sept. 2021 and it was very easy. Bus leaves from Terminal 4; change buses at Zaragoza, and into Pamplona by late afternoon. Buses were clean, on time, everything well-organized.

We had nice views out the bus windows that day — attaching some photos. I bought the tickets online before leaving home in USA.

Photos from our day riding ALSA from Madrid Bajaras T4 to Pamplona.

Attachments

• 4C369807-65E4-4468-94DC-0C0B1A5EC6B1.jpeg
    4C369807-65E4-4468-94DC-0C0B1A5EC6B1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 94C7383D-D47F-4574-9A3F-D9A28D8F89C4.jpeg
    94C7383D-D47F-4574-9A3F-D9A28D8F89C4.jpeg
    555.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 3672C531-18A3-4889-BC99-8EC79E3B01CC.jpeg
    3672C531-18A3-4889-BC99-8EC79E3B01CC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A related note regarding Madrid airport transport:

For three of our four Caminos we’ve taken a flight from Santiago to Madrid and spent the night in downtown Madrid since we enjoy the area and this gives us one last day to savor Madrid. Twice we’ve had no issues.

Today was a real pain! Iberia Express suggested bags be checked on (no charge) so we checked on both packpacks. Flight was fine then the bags got misplaced within their transit system. We waited over 90 minutes for our bags to be located and finally be delivered.

The good news is that we decided to take a taxi rather than Metro or Renfe. There is a fixed tarrif of 30€ from the airport to the city! Why fight Metro when a taxi is slightly more and delivers to your hotel?

Hopefully we’ll get the same rate outbound tomorrow morning!

Bob

I am fortunate in that I have the luxury of time and have always broken my journey by overnighting in Madrid before travelling by train to my chosen start point - the prospect of getting on a five-hour bus straight off a flight (albeit a short one from the UK, but including driving to the airport, hanging around for a couple of hours, flying, baggage etc.) really doesn’t appeal. Clearly, many have time constraints.

The ability to walk around and the sufficient catering and washroom facilities on the excellent Spanish rail network shouldn’t be overlooked IMHO.

Great, thanks all!

I’m asking because I’m having to start again with my late January camino after Swiss Air cancelled . . long story.

Anyway, Qatar is the best option now. They arrive in Madrid either early morning or mid-afternoon.

Flying is not an add-on option with Qatar.

Alsa buses from T4 seem to leave at midnight, or mid-afternoon, about the time the flight lands, or mid-evening, so that bus would arrive in Pamplona about 1am. (I would consider that one if it was mid-summer and a full moon and I could hit the ground running 🤣.)

So maybe the best option might be to arrive on the 7am flight, airport bus to Atocha, and train to Pamplona.

Hmm 🤔.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey,
There is a bus (also) at T4 that goes directly to the Atocha Train Station. If you're on a schedule, I would agree with other members; book the train ahead for a couple of hours after you land, take the bus to Atocha and get on the train. If time is not a big issue, Atocha is a good area to see a bit of Madrid, maybe stay the night (especially if jet-lag is an issue). There's a decent...clean/comfortable/cheap Hotel right across the street from the Atocha station (Hotel Mediodia). Get up in the morning and walk across the street to the train to Pamplona. Have a good time, Bob

Not on a schedule, and no jet lag (flying south to north long haul in the same time zone) – just wanna get back on the camino.

May spend a couple of days in Madrid on the way back, but have been through a few times before.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would fly. Adding Madrid-Pampona and Santiago-Madrid (or wherever you wind up) frequently adds very little to the cost of the round trip ticket. That will be true primarily for those who fly on the One World Alliance, Iberia, American, BA, etc, because naturally most of the intra-Spain flights are Iberia. I got this tip years ago from a forum member and it has made my caminos much more enjoyable and usually gives me two extra days that I would ordinarily have to spend traveling.
That’s what we always did. Fly to Pamplona at basically no extra cost and hassle!

So . . . .

Many thanks!
I took a taxi to the bus station and bus to Pamplona.

So . . . .

Many thanks!
I have taken the bus from Terminal 4, the train from Atocha, and flown on Iberia on three different Caminos. I definitely would recommend the flight. One-way flights to Pamplona are relatively inexpensive and much more convenient for me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

So . . . .

Many thanks!
I think that the easiest and cheapest is to take the train from the airport to the Atocha train station and then get on the regional train to Pamplona. It’s a pleasant and scenic ride. Travel by bus takes far longer and air travel is expensive and simply doesn’t match the frequency required and connections are poor.

Last edited:
Alsa runs a bus directly from Barajas to Pomplona - about 30+euro, 5 hours. Looks like there are two or three per day.
I’ve done this twice, arrived at T4 went to Alsa bus also in T4. Easy Peasy!

Optimal a connecting light to Pamplona (1 ticket), that is, if the times work. Then if you arrive late you will be put on the next available flight. Make sure you buy the ticket directly from the airline to avoid any 3rd party issues if you are delayed.

2) Take taxi to station. Direct train to Pamplona. Allow for airline delays.

3) stay overnight in Madrid. Then take early train to Pamplona.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
OK, looking at the flights . . . not bad, E60 one way in January . . . 🤔 🤔
Only one heads up, which you may already know. If you book your international flight and your Madrid-Pamplona flight separately, if your flight into Madrid is delayed and you miss the flight to Pamplona, it’s on you. If it’s all one ticket, the airlines has to rebook and get you there.

I have seen a very tearful young woman who missed her international flight home from Madrid because her earlier flight (on a separate ticket) had been late. Not only did she lose whatever she had paid for 1/2 of her international ticket, but she also had to buy a new, one way, last minute flight to get home. It was a very expensive lesson, and though the ticket agent felt bad for her, there was no accommodation offered.

Losing a 60€ ticket would of course not be as catastrophic.

So . . . .

Many thanks!
We did the train, but I understand there is also a flight that connects the two.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not difficult:

Rome to Rio should be everybody's first suggestion when people ask these type of questions. They seem to have the best software. But It's confusing that the train option says once a day, but when you look at the schedule, it lists 8 departure times. So maybe a few glitches yet....

Rome to Rio should be everybody's first suggestion when people ask these type of questions. They seem to have the best software. But It's confusing that the train option says once a day, but when you look at the schedule, it lists 8 departure times. So maybe a few glitches yet....
Yup. I linked to it in the first reply on this thread. 😉

€46,-
Only one heads up, which you may already know. If you book your international flight and your Madrid-Pamplona flight separately, if your flight into Madrid is delayed and you miss the flight to Pamplona, it’s on you. If it’s all one ticket, the airlines has to rebook and get you there.

I have seen a very tearful young woman who missed her international flight home from Madrid because her earlier flight (on a separate ticket) had been late. Not only did she lose whatever she had paid for 1/2 of her international ticket, but she also had to buy a new, one way, last minute flight to get home. It was a very expensive lesson, and though the ticket agent felt bad for her, there was no accommodation offered.

Losing a 60€ ticket would of course not be as catastrophic.
That happened to me once on a domestic connection with separate bookings. Luckily they were nice, and the next flight wasn't full, so they changed it for free. But now I'll only book one itinerary.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back