• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid Airport-Train-Leon (time question)

Quinranda

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2016)
Hello,

I am arriving in Madrid airport very early in the morning (6:35 am). Do you think they'll be a problem catching a 9:30am train from Madrid-Charmartin? Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have made closer connections. A few questions -- will you be checking luggage? (The wait for bags, at least in T4, can be extremely long, well over 45 minutes). Which terminal will you arrive in? American Airlines and partners arrive in T4, which is where the station to catch the commuter train is, so it's quicker from T4 than from the other 3. Which passport line will you go through? Depending on the other planes arriving at that time, if you're in the "non EU passport" line and a plane has arrived from a country whose citizens get more scrutiny at immigration, it can be a long haul. The EU line tends to sail right through. If you're really running late, a taxi shouldn't take too long and it should be early enough to miss the brunt of rush hour. Buen camino, Laurie

Hello,

I am arriving in Madrid airport very early in the morning (6:35 am). Do you think they'll be a problem catching a 9:30am train from Madrid-Charmartin? Thanks

I would allow an hour to get from the airport to Chamartin. That means you have two hours to get off the plane, get your bags and clear customs ... that should be enough provided your plane arrives close to its stated arrival time ...

The fastest way would be Renfe Cercanias train from T4 to Chamartin.

That said, trains are more frequent on Madrid Metro.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Do you think they'll be a problem catching a 9:30am train from Madrid-Charmartin?

If you plan to take a Cercanías train from the airport to Chamartín, the last one that would allow you to arrive in time for your train to León would be the one departing from the airport at 08:57 a.m. what gives you more than 2 hours to get of the plane, pass through customs and immigration, pick your checked baggage (if you have any) and go to the train station. That should be enough time but, of course, you never know what can be wrong (e.g.: a late arrival of your flight, a longer scrutinnity to your baggage on the airport for whatever reason...). There are several flights from South America arriving early in the morning so lines at immigration could be long.

Thanks everyone. I am arriving from Boston on Iberia-so I believe I'm arriving in T4. I was not planning on checking bags-except that I'm not sure if I can bring hiking poles on w my carry-on, so my choice might be to check a small bag or to buy trekking poles in Leon. I will be there for 2 nights to acclimate before starting to walk. Any thoughts on that as well? thanks again

Thanks everyone. I am arriving from Boston on Iberia-so I believe I'm arriving in T4. I was not planning on checking bags-except that I'm not sure if I can bring hiking poles on w my carry-on, so my choice might be to check a small bag or to buy trekking poles in Leon. I will be there for 2 nights to acclimate before starting to walk. Any thoughts on that as well? thanks again

Hi Quinranda,

I always carry on my hiking poles and pack, and have never had a problem with US security personnel. I do carry a small duffel bag just in case I encounter an agent who refuses to let them through, so I can check them at the last minute.

I always used to give myself a day to get over jet lag, but when I walked the Vdlp and arrived in Sevilla about 5 years ago, I just decided to start walking the next day. It worked great (apparently the sun exposure is great for resetting your circadian rhythms) and I've done that ever since. But there's nothing wrong with spending a day in León, it's a beautiful city and you will enjoy the historic center and the cathedral a lot, I'm sure. Buen camino, Laurie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Laurie,

Thanks for the helpful advice. Do you have collapsible hiking poles? I'll probably be taking a flight out of Santiago and I read they make you check poles, so a small duffle is a great idea even if my US flight is ok. I'm traveling with my teen daughter, so we might even send some clothes on to Santiago. After our Camino, we're spending some more time in Europe and she's already said she wants a few more changes of clothes.

I've never been to Leon (or Spain for that matter), so I'm looking forward to having a full day there before starting out.

/wendy

I've also taken a taxi from the airport to the Charmatin train station when I had a late arrival. Takes about 15 minutes and, as I recall, about $30.

Laurie,

Thanks for the helpful advice. Do you have collapsible hiking poles? I'll probably be taking a flight out of Santiago and I read they make you check poles, so a small duffle is a great idea even if my US flight is ok. I'm traveling with my teen daughter, so we might even send some clothes on to Santiago. After our Camino, we're spending some more time in Europe and she's already said she wants a few more changes of clothes.

I've never been to Leon (or Spain for that matter), so I'm looking forward to having a full day there before starting out.

/wendy

Yes, my poles are collapsible. When I arrive in Spain before my camino, I always send that duffel to Santiago along with my airplane pillow in a small box. My hotel there is happy to hold on to it for the five weeks or so, very nice of them! then when I get to Santiago, I can fill it up with my post-camino essentials, mainly olive oil, lentils, garbanzos, fabas de Lourenzo, saffron and a few other idiosyncratic things I always buy in Santiago. I check it on the way home, hiking poles inside, because you are right that there is no way to carry on poles at the Santiago airport. Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back