• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid airport

AMH

Time of past OR future Camino
Is one and half hours sufficient time to disembark at Barajas Airport (Madrid) Terminal 1 (Ryanair & collect luggage) and get to ALSA bus-stop at Terminal 4 to get bus to Leon to start Camino from there?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi there,

You will comfortably make the ALSA platform at T4 in 1 hour 20 mins.There is a free shuttle bus linking all the terminals and each bus has a large T1/T2/T3 or T4 sign indicating what terminal it is going to. I recall that the journey from T1 to T4 took about 10 minutes and if memory serves me correctly at one stage during the journey the bus seemed to leave the Airport complex altogether and be heading for Madrid !!! but it was only because it had to negotiate a complex motorway system.

Buen Camino,
Peter

Is Alsa the only bus line that services the airport?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
ffp13 said:
Is Alsa the only bus line that services the airport?

ALSA is the only long-distance bus system that has a pick-up/drop-off at the Barajas Airport (Madrid) T4 Terminal. There is a metro stop that connects T4 to the train station Atocha and from there you can connect by train to just about anywhere... Bus services in Spain are very good value and very reliable.

I am very happy to bus in Spain, I have bussed in previous years, my last trip was from the main depot in Madrid, but my flight arrives late and the ticket windows will be closed, hoping to buy a fare to Pamplona from T4 about midnight?

ffp13 said:
...hoping to buy a fare to Pamplona from T4 about midnight?

ffp13-- the first ALSA bus that leaves T4 enroute to Pamplona leaves at 1:15am, so you could catch that one. The fare one way is 30 Euros and you would arrive around 6am with plenty time for coffee and and start your Camino, which happens to be close to Pamplona bus station. You could buy the ticket online (http://www.alsa.es/en/), but I am pretty sure that with a bus leaving that early you would have the option to either pay the driver and/or buy off a ticket machine.

This route is one of those where train is actually more time-consuming and the logistics a bit more convoluted than just taking the bus.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear olivares, thank you for that information, I prefer to arrive at a destination early rather than late, 6 am is great for a good coffee, breakfast and some last minute shopping in Pamplona, I have placed an order for my Altus poncho with a store in Pamplona.

AMH said:
Is one and half hours sufficient time to disembark at Barajas Airport (Madrid) Terminal 1 (Ryanair & collect luggage) and get to ALSA bus-stop at Terminal 4 to get bus to Leon to start Camino from there?

Keep in mind that airplanes NEVER arrive on time. So have a plan B.

ffp13 said:
6 am is great for a good coffee, breakfast and some last minute shopping in Pamplona,
You will be shattered Frank , I tell you! I've done it more than once. Most places are closed at that time but for the bar in the bus station that offer a giant tortillia at a reasonable price. :arrow:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
ryanair has a very good record of arriving on time. actually most ryanair flights arrive early at barajas airport. if i remember correctly, it is a long walk from t1 arrival hall to the front door of t1. just make sure you get your checked in luggage as quickly as you can. it is a long way from t1 to t4. the shuttle bus does leave the airport complex at ti and rejoins the airport complex at t4.

buen camino.

RENSHAW said:
You will be shattered Frank , I tell you! I've done it more than once. Most places are closed at that time but for the bar in the bus station that offer a giant tortillia at a reasonable price. :arrow:

I've been to that bus station several times, I may just try that giant tortilla to pass the time before the shops open, first destination collect my Altus poncho from that new pilgrim shop in Pamplona :) then some sightseeing before travelling to Roncessvalles to start my Camino, my plan is not to stay in Pamplona on my actual Camino, there is a great hostel in a village just before Pamplona just over the bridge:)

Frank, I love the image if you consuming a giant tortilla early in the morning at a bus terminal. Does Reliegos ring a bell as you were checking pilgrim creditentials?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
ffp13 said:
there is a great hostel in a village just before Pamplona just over the bridge:)

Trinidad , run by the Marist Brothers - lovely secret courtyard garden - Recommended. :)

I made the mistake of not trusting the time. I had scheduled a later bus just in case. I ended up having to wait a long time. Getting through the airport was super fast and easy. Not just that, but I found all transportation in Spain very well organized, buses, trains etc. And inexpensive.

RENSHAW said:
ffp13 said:
there is a great hostel in a village just before Pamplona just over the bridge:)

Trinidad , run by the Marist Brothers - lovely secret courtyard garden - Recommended. :)

Don't miss the pilgrim's menu served at the muni up the road.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
RENSHAW said:
ffp13 said:

If you have experienced Pamplona this place is a great alternative, as most pilgrims pass it by in preference to a day in Pamplona, the bull run week is probably the only time it is completo , the courtyard garden is great and even better when the trees are in fruit:)

biarritzdon said:
Frank, I love the image if you consuming a giant tortilla early in the morning at a bus terminal. Does Reliegos ring a bell as you were checking pilgrim creditentials?

? ? Sorry Don, knowing me its probably something worth forgetting :).

When do you start your Portuguese Way? If all goes well on the French way I also hope to walk from Porto. I may have to visit a few more bus terminals to achieve that goal:)

Sojourner47 said:
Don't miss the pilgrim's menu served at the muni up the road.

What is the Muni?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Muni is the municipal albergue located about two long blocks further towards Pamplona from the Marists. The Muni address is Calle Pedro de Atarrabia, 17-10. There is a small bar/resto open to all with an inexpensive Pilgrim's Menu.

However, at the Marists there is a good kitchen for pilgrim use. I have stayed there happily many times these past years. See >> http://www.alberguearre.com/

Margaret Meredith

mspath said:
The Muni is the municipal albergue located about two long blocks further towards Pamplona from the Marists
Margaret Meredith

Thank you Margaret, I have stayed at the Marists previously and used their kitchen ( i must watch out for auto spell correction as I almost referred to the Albergue as the Marxists :) I should have picked up on the abbreviation of municipal .

We'll be arriving in Madrid the 15th.. Is the train station in or near the airport ? Do we need to get tickets in advance to Pamplona? I really appreciate all the helpful advice.. So excited

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buen camino rhonda. This topic has been discussed many times.

I am assuming you will be landing at madrid barajas t1. If that is the case, take the free shuttle bus to t4. Go to t4 first floor. That is where the cercanias (local suburban train) station is. The metro underground (subway, tube) is also located on the same floor. Buy the cercanias ticket from the machine. The price is €2.50 euros. If you don't know how to use the machine, ask one of the airport employees by the machines to help you. This train will take you to atocha station where you will connect to train going to pamplona.

Do not make the mistake of taking the metro. The metro is more expensive and will involved a transfer and a long walk to drag your rucksack from one line to another.

You do not need to get ticket in advance to pamplona. You are arriving in midweek, so you shouldn't have any problem. Again you can buy ticket at the ticketing window or you can use the machines at the station. If you do not understand french, it is better to buy your ticket at the window.

I believe you can also buy your ticket to pamplona at the renfe station in madrid barajas airport. If you buy your renfe ticket at the airport, the cercanias ride to atocha station is free. Also if you are going to use the train again on your trip. If you are over 60 you can buy a discount card called tarjeta dorada (golden card) for a fee of €5.15 for a yearly card. This card will entitled you to a 40% discount off your renfe and cercanias tickets from monday to thursday and 25% discount on all other days and bank holidays.

Good luck.

Good luck.

rhonda56 said:
We'll be arriving in Madrid the 15th.. Is the train station in or near the airport ? Do we need to get tickets in advance to Pamplona? I really appreciate all the helpful advice.. So excited

Hi Rhonda - A train is more comfortable but after all the messing around , you may want to just take a bus to Pamplona from T4 which may not take you any more time than a train , plus , the Pamplona bus station is far more central than the train staion.

Also - try searching the forum 'Bus train Madrid Pamplona' for many other similar threads.

What is the cost of the bus from T4 Barajas to Pamplona?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Olivares said:
ffp13 said:
...hoping to buy a fare to Pamplona from T4 about midnight?

ffp13-- the first ALSA bus that leaves T4 enroute to Pamplona leaves at 1:15am, so you could catch that one. The fare one way is 30 Euros and you would arrive around 6am with plenty time for coffee and and start your Camino, which happens to be close to Pamplona bus station. You could buy the ticket online (http://www.alsa.es/en/), but I am pretty sure that with a bus leaving that early you would have the option to either pay the driver and/or buy off a ticket machine.

This route is one of those where train is actually more time-consuming and the logistics a bit more convoluted than just taking the bus.

Yodapsy-- I answered that question some days ago-- see above post. I also stated that taking the bus is far more convenient and cheaper than the train and still think the same...

Got it this time Olivares :oops: We will definitely be taking the bus. Just about 7 weeks away now. We are staring to get excited.

I have looked at both the bus and train schedules and boy the RENFE site is confusing. My wife will be arriving from Beijing at 06:35 on Jun. 26. I arrive with my two kids at 10:05. I think the connection is too close to make the 10:45 ALSA bus, which means the next bus isn't until 15:15 getting us into Pamplona at 20:15.

If we take the Cercanias train to Atocha station, we may be able to catch the 12:30 train (arrives 16:37) in Pamplona which means we arrive almost 4 hours earlier and have time to catch a nice dinner in Pamplona. Does anyone know if there is a discount for families on the trains and how to get it if there is? Also is the cost 58 Euros for everyone?

Rob

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Rob, you might consider staying that first night in Madrid if you have children and a tight schedule. First if all, the Renfre office at the Madrid airport is in Terminal 4 right at the Cercanius entrance. But it is manned by ONE single guy. I arrived in plenty if time to make a connection to a train to Zafra but the person in front of me took 45 minutes and by the time I was able to purchase my dorado card and ticket, I had missed the train!!!

There is a blue bus that will take you to town for very little money. It runs all day. You could find a hotel on booking.com or ebooking then make your way to Pamplona from Madrid next day.

The buses directly from the airport to Pamplona are the best bet, in my opinion and 8 pm isn't too late to arrive in Pamplona. The buses are VERY comfortable. If you arrive at 10:15 you will be until almost 11 getting to T4 if you come into a difffetent terminal. And 3-4 hours can pass quickly.

Anniesantiago said:
The buses directly from the airport to Pamplona are the best bet, in my opinion and 8 pm isn't too late to arrive in Pamplona. The buses are VERY comfortable.

This will be you best and cheapest option Rob - why scramble to save a few hours when you'll be walking for weeks?

hello rob,

have a buen camino with your family.

take the cercanias from the airport to town and stay overnight and get rested. children under 6 travel for free in the cercanias accompanied by an adult. or you can travel by metro , a 10-ticket bono cost 12.20 euros for a single line, valid for 10 individual trips or 10 trips for anybody. tickets can be used for up to ten person on a single trip. i forget to mention children under the age of 4 do not need a ticket when using the metro.

the next day you can either take the train or the bus as suggested by olivaros.

god bless.

Yodapsy said:
I have looked at both the bus and train schedules and boy the RENFE site is confusing. My wife will be arriving from Beijing at 06:35 on Jun. 26. I arrive with my two kids at 10:05. I think the connection is too close to make the 10:45 ALSA bus, which means the next bus isn't until 15:15 getting us into Pamplona at 20:15.

If we take the Cercanias train to Atocha station, we may be able to catch the 12:30 train (arrives 16:37) in Pamplona which means we arrive almost 4 hours earlier and have time to catch a nice dinner in Pamplona. Does anyone know if there is a discount for families on the trains and how to get it if there is? Also is the cost 58 Euros for everyone?

Rob

I like trains better than buses. Much more comfortable.

Your timings are very tight so you need to know where to go and how to get there. If you don't make the 1230 the next train is 1505 and gets there only 2 hours later so no matter.

Madrid airport guide:
http://madrid-mad.worldairportguides.co ... l-maps.php

The Metro runs every five minutes and so may be a better option than Renfe Cercanius
The station is at the far end of the airport from T1 (past T2 and T3) so no need to transfer to T4. Take care with valuables as pick pockets may be active. Allow about an hour.

#8 from T1T2T3 to end of line at Nuevo Ministerios.
#6 from Nuevo Ministerios to Cuatro Caminos
#1 from Cuatro Caminos to Atocha Renfe

Here is PDF Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/ ... ingles.pdf

Near as I can tell from renfe site, prices are 61 euro per seat from Puerto Atocha to Pamplona.

Will be arriving Madrid at 1110 (am) Aug 2nd.
Would there be a train and/or bus terminal near the Barajas Airport with connections to Leon?
If so, any idea when either train or bus depart for Leon and how long the journey?
Thank you. John, NB, Canada.

hello sandy,

you can forget about the train. there is no direct train to leon from madrid barajas airport. for that you also have to go to madrid charmartin station.

the best bet is the bus. alsa has 8 schedules on this particular day going to leon from barajas airport t4. you should be able to take the first bus of the day departing barajas t4 at 13.45 hr, arriving at leon at 18.30 hr, travel time 4 hr 45 min. the cost for a one way ticket is 24.95 euros. if you miss this one, the next bus is at 14.45 hr, arriving at 19.45 hr, travel time 5.00 hr. price is the same. these buses go directly from the airport to leon. you can buy your ticket at the alsa office at the airport.

the website for alsa is: http://www.alsa.es/

buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I will be in Madrid in just 3 weeks from today, and start mi Camino from Pamplona. I dont see a train service from Madrid. It is only bus service to Pamplona

MiriaBD said:
I will be in Madrid in just 3 weeks from today, and start mi Camino from Pamplona. I dont see a train service from Madrid. It is only bus service to Pamplona
There is both Bus and train options - all the info you need is in this thread. :D

sandy.robertson4646 said:
Will be arriving Madrid at 1110 (am) Aug 2nd.
Would there be a train and/or bus terminal near the Barajas Airport with connections to Leon?
If so, any idea when either train or bus depart for Leon and how long the journey?
Thank you. John, NB, Canada.

There are two ways to get from Madrid Airport to the train. You'll need to check if your train leaves from Atocha or Chamartin.

Metro runs every 5 minutes from Barajas T1T2T3 and T4 and takes about an hour including two transfers
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html
Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/ ... ingles.pdf

The second is Renfe Cercanius ... runs every half hour from Barajas T4 - it runs straight to Chamartin and goes on to Atocha.
See Maps and Zones
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercan ... index.html

If the schedule gives you trouble in getting information from Madrid to Leon then You search the schedule for train from Madrid (Chamartin) to Palencia and then from Palencia to Leon. I'm finding it doesn't work some of the time. On the list click the train (ie Alvia) for schedule details.

Renfe (train) system for North Spain
http://www.getspain-spain.com/renfe_map_northern.html

Renfe Schedule
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Thank you so much for the refemap, this will be a great help to us. Reservacions are required, we will be around 9:00 am. in Madrid. I would like to be in Pamplona before 5 pm time for buy our credencial and get ready our Camino next day, sunday Miria

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back