• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid atocha train station.

angie

Well, I'm here in Pamplona but I thought I share something I never new. Sorry if it's been posted before.
At Atocha train station they have a ticket queuing system which I didn't realise. My train to Pamplona wasn't till 3-05 and I'd arrived at the station just after 12 and was going to have a mooch around but thought I'd buy my ticket first, and I'm so glad I did. I waited nearly 2 hrs in the queue......... so, just warning others that even if you have time to kill, buy your ticket and then mooch around or you could miss your train. It was a Saturday so I don't know if that's why it was so busy but don't get caught out.

Cheers.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well, I'm here in Pamplona but I thought I share something I never new. Sorry if it's been posted before.
At Atocha train station they have a ticket queuing system which I didn't realise. My train to Pamplona wasn't till 3-05 and I'd arrived at the station just after 12 and was going to have a mooch around but thought I'd buy my ticket first, and I'm so glad I did. I waited nearly 2 hrs in the queue......... so, just warning others that even if you have time to kill, buy your ticket and then mooch around or you could miss your train. It was a Saturday so I don't know if that's why it was so busy but don't get caught out.

Cheers.

My understanding is there are automated ticket machines.

Renfe Maquinas Autoventa
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/info/maquinas_autocheckin.html

I thought they were if u pre booked. Maybe not, I didn't really check. But, I did see a lot of people in the queue with tickets already in their hands so I don't know the ifs and why's. I just wanted to warn people that was all, if I hadn't of had a few hrs to spare I'd never have caught that train and would have had to of waited till after 7pm for the next one.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I thought they were if u pre booked. Maybe not, I didn't really check. But, I did see a lot of people in the queue with tickets already in their hands so I don't know the ifs and why's. I just wanted to warn people that was all, if I hadn't of had a few hrs to spare I'd never have caught that train and would have had to of waited till after 7pm for the next one.

Its good information.

Yesterday I waited 45 minutes for my turn at the Renfe station in Alicante. There were ticketmachines that only a few people used. I was queuing for a tarjeta dorada, that gives me cheaper tickets so I could not use the machine. Thought then that if I needed a ticket, I would buy it on internet. Before I left one of the employees started helping people using the maquinas. Perhaps people do not know how to use them. It is the same at many bus stations. Always a long queue at the ticket office.

You can buy your ticket and Tarjeta Dorada at the airport RENFE station :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I took your advice jp and caught the bus instead of the metro as it was easier rather than pack on pack off to change trains. Thanks for th info. Appreciated very much.

You can buy train tickets and tarjeta dorada from the airport Renfe office but if there is a line it can take hours. Best net is just get your ticket to atocha from the Circanius machine and get your tarjeta and major ticket at atocha.

If you are taking a bus, just pay the driver - much easier and cheaper.

Or walk from Madrid ! It's a beautiful walk and you miss the race for a bed!

It is good to know this problem. It is a new situation, I never experienced anything like that.
I used to buy my renfe tickets at the very known "El corte inglés" http://www.viajeselcorteingles.es/trenes/ , at calle Preciados, near the popular Puerta del Sol square.
Apparently almost every travel agency in Spain can sell you train tickets http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/info/puntos_venta_nacional.html
Obviously, it I were in Madrid only (unfortunately) for a few hours, I' d try to buy my ticket right away, but this other option may be useful if you are in this lovely city for more time.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back