• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid Barajas Layover on Way to Porto

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (16,'17,'18)
Finisterre/Muxia( '17, '18)
Portuguese Central & Coastal ('18)
Hi, Friends. I'm getting ready to walk the Portuguese Coastal Camino from Porto around September 20. (Just finished Central from Valenca to Santiago in July and can't get enough). Does anyone have experience or knowledge about the layover procedures at the Barajas Aeropuerto? I've read suggestions to take the train to the city, but I wonder about time exiting and reentering. Even though I have one ticket from American, the connection is on Iberia and I haven't found information about the connections. I will be flying from NYC to Porto on September 15, arriving next day at 8:30 a.m. with a 7 hour layover in Madrid and flight to Porto scheduled to depart Madrid at 3:30 p.m. Any ideas? Catching up on sleep would be my preference, but not too practical, so now it's Plan B. Thank you for any suggestions. I love all the route recommendations and stories about the Portuguese on the Forum. Can't wait to begin! Again! Irene

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Irene, take a good book with you.

You have enough time to go into Madrid, look around a bit, and get back to the airport, if you really want to. That’s too much stress for me – i.e. getting back to the airport in time to get the next flight. We have the same problem this coming Monday morning with a 5 hour lay-over. Last year a few of us took the metro into town. But because the Spanish don’t even wake up until mid-morning nothing was open. The rest of us sat in the airport café drinking café con leches, chatting or reading.

Take a good book with you!
Jill

Thanks so much for your reply, Jill. I bet trying to return in time with a five hour layover would be a stretch. And I'm definitely concerned even with seven hours, especially when I don't know what the exit and return procedures will be. A lot is unknown about that time in between. There must be some security checks, but would we exit after the general Spain entry process is completed, which could take a long time. I've flown in and out of Barajas several times, but have never connected! If I don't go into the city, I hope I'll make a few new friends by the Cafe and find a great book in between naps. Buen Camino to you. Irene

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back