• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid Camino Guide - Recommendations please

AmandaW

Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie and will be setting off at the end of the month on my journey along the Madrid Camino, planning to join the Camino Frances around Sahagun. I have John Brierley's guide book for the St. Jean - Roncesvalles - Santiago and was planning to use the Confraternity of St James guide book for the Madrid route but unfortunately their website is down and I cannot purchase it. I'd really like to hear from anyone who could help me by recommending a guide book for the Madrid route as I understand that this route may not be as well travelled/sign posted etc. and if there is anything that I am worried about it is my useless sense of direction!! :) :) :) One of my hopes is to improve my direction problems and fear of getting lost through taking this journey - amongst a multitude of other things of course!! Any help/advice from you more experienced people is greatly appreciated as I'm sure you can remember your nerves the first time you set out on your journeys! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
And in my experience, the route is very well signposted! I really enjoyed the Madrid camino, and I think you will too! It's one of the only caminos I've walked where I haven't got lost at least once, so don't worry about your directional abilities!
Buen Camino!

I have walked it 2012 and 2013. You need to here it once again, you will not get lost :). It was better in 2013 compared to 2012. Take a day of in Segovia it´s a beautiful city. If you haven´t seen my pictures on youtube search for "roger hogstrom". Good luck / Roger

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you lovely people! What would you say the toughest section would be so that I can prepare for that? I am reading that there are quite long sections with no amenities so I am planning on carrying provisions for most of the way, would you agree. I haven't read everything yet but this is my first impression. It sounds beautiful! Yesterday I put myself off slightly by walking too far with heavy weight to prepare but I'm not giving in :) :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have walked it 2012 and 2013. You need to here it once again, you will not get lost :). It was better in 2013 compared to 2012. Take a day of in Segovia it´s a beautiful city. If you haven´t seen my pictures on youtube search for "roger hogstrom". Good luck / Roger
Thanks again for reassurance Roger, I am no longer concerned about that thanks to you guys! More concerned about my feet now haha!

Hi Amanda
About feet. Alway 2 socks on each foot. Bola "tentoes" + thin wool sock fantastic. Your shoes 1 size bigger than your normal size, ½ size if it isn´t hot.

Roger

I walked the Camino Madrid in late September/early October 2013.
I followed the stages here:
http://www.mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=40

The first 3 days I did a little differently - I based myself in Madrid
Day 1 - got the train to Colmenar de Veijo from Chamartin. Took the bus (724) from Manzanares el Real back to Plaza Castilla in Madrid.
Day 2 - bus from Plaza Castilla to Manzanares (724). Returned to Madrid on train from Cercedilla.
2 weeks later - (its complicated) - train to Cercedilla in the late afternoon. Overnight in Cercedilla.
Day 3 - Cercedilla to Segovia. A long steep walk up to Puerto de Fuenfria but much easier going down the other side through forest then open countryside. I agree with Roger, Segovia is a wonderful town. I returned for another night on my return to Madrid from Sahugun.

I found the long days of over 30km tough, but was always recovered by the next morning.
There were lots of highlights - the beautiful open countryside, the farms, the towns - especially Segovia, Simincas, Medina de Rioseco, Margarita's bakery in Nova de la Asuncion.

I have a blog here:
http://www.mariannecamino.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/camino-madrid-september-2013.html

Marianne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Amanda, check the thread 'Camino di Madrid', you' ll find all the updates you need.
It will be quite a change once you get on the Camino Frances at Sahagun

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back