• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid Hotels

intrepidtraveler

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos Madrid, Frances and Finisterre (2015)
Camino Norte-2017; Camino Ingles from A Coruna - 2017
Greetings -

Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay in Madrid - convenient to the airport, metro, food, etc. I'm looking for something nicer and more private than a hostel but not super luxurious (would you send your mother there,?). Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Try the Room Mate Alicia Hotel on Prado 2, Madrid City Center. It is located on the Plaza de Santa Ana in a lovely atmospheric neighborhood (old architecture, antique stores, theaters and many restaurants). The plaza itself has several restaurants with outdoor seating where you can eat tapas or dinner and watch locals and tourists late into the night. It is a short 5-7 minute walk to Puerta del Sol (metro and city center). I have stayed there twice. Price is around $80 -$90 for a double (I checked current rates). Not luxurious but has all amenities and service is excellent. Contemporary decor. Check out the reviews on TripAdvisor.com. I stayed there on my last trip because I like the neighborhood and the convenience of being able to walk everywhere (near most tourist sites: down the street from three museums, near Plaza Mayor, Mercado San Miguel). Any hotel near this Plaza would be a good location. I also stayed at the Hotel Quatro Puerta del Sol, Sevilla 4 ( around $90). It is on a busy street just north of the Plaza Santa Ana and across from a bus stop - nice room and good service. I would not recommend staying on Gran Via (too commercial, chain stores) or Puerta del Sol (generally more expensive and noisy). Booking.com has a map feature where you can see where the hotels are located. If you want something a little more upscale let me know.
You asked if I would send my mother there...yes because I am the mother:)!

Try the Room Mate Alicia Hotel on Prado 2, Madrid City Center. It is located on the Plaza de Santa Ana in a lovely atmospheric neighborhood (old architecture, antique stores, theaters and many restaurants). The plaza itself has several restaurants with outdoor seating where you can eat tapas or dinner and watch locals and tourists late into the night. It is a short 5-7 minute walk to Puerta del Sol (metro and city center). I have stayed there twice. Price is around $80 -$90 for a double (I checked current rates). Not luxurious but has all amenities and service is excellent. Contemporary decor. Check out the reviews on TripAdvisor.com. I stayed there on my last trip because I like the neighborhood and the convenience of being able to walk everywhere (near most tourist sites: down the street from three museums, near Plaza Mayor, Mercado San Miguel). Any hotel near this Plaza would be a good location. I also stayed at the Hotel Quatro Puerta del Sol, Sevilla 4 ( around $90). It is on a busy street just north of the Plaza Santa Ana and across from a bus stop - nice room and good service. I would not recommend staying on Gran Via (too commercial, chain stores) or Puerta del Sol (generally more expensive and noisy). Booking.com has a map feature where you can see where the hotels are located. If you want something a little more upscale let me know.
Extremely useful information - Thanks very much!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Great! Thanks for your helpful response.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We enjoyed the Hostal Inn Madrid. "Hostal" does not mean the same in Spanish as a hostel in English - it just means it it does not occupy the whole building. This one was is near the Grand Via and the Puerto del Sol, so a great location. Small rooms but modern, air conditioned, ensuite bathroom with good water pressure, great bed, and reasonably priced. The entrance and lift looks terrible - my heart sank when we arrived - but once you get inside it is fine. Lovely staff. Definitely good for this mother. Airport bus drops off and picks up about 4 blocks away (Plaza Cibeles)

Laura would this hotel happen to be near the train station? I want to stay over in Madrid; need to take the train to Pamplona. Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. Apparently the 12th of October (when I'll be needing the room) is some kind of major Spanish holiday. Many of the places that have been recommended to me seem to have really jacked up their rates to mark the occasion or are already sold out. Not a problem though - bookings.com proved to be the solution.

I am arriving in Madrid Oct 13, and will stay a few days at Hostal Alexis, near Plaza Santa Ana. We booked quite a while ago. I have not stayed there before but have stayed within a few streets of there on previous visits to Madrid. It is a great location, close to trains, the galleries and museums and the centre of Madrid. I will be in Cercedilla (staying at Hostal La Maya) on the night of Oct 16 and walking to Segovia (staying at Las Serenas) for 2 nights, then walking north on the Camino Madrid. We may see you along the way.

I am arriving in Madrid Oct 13, and will stay a few days at Hostal Alexis, near Plaza Santa Ana. We booked quite a while ago. I have not stayed there before but have stayed within a few streets of there on previous visits to Madrid. It is a great location, close to trains, the galleries and museums and the centre of Madrid. I will be in Cercedilla (staying at Hostal La Maya) on the night of Oct 16 and walking to Segovia (staying at Las Serenas) for 2 nights, then walking north on the Camino Madrid. We may see you along the way.
Marianne thanks for this info. I'm a bit price conscious so trying to figure out what might work best; a hotel near the airport and take the bus to Pamplona, (apparently they run quite often), or book a room near the train station and opt for the train. The folks with Corazon Puro will pick me up in Pamplona where I spend the night, then off to StJdP for another overnight. Start my walk Sept. 25. Thanks again for your message and I do wish you a wonderful 'way' and who knows; perhaps our paths might cross. Maggie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great! Thanks for your helpful response.

Great city to walk around , away from the tourist areas.
There are train stations everywhere within 5 minutes walk .
Trains every 5 minutes and they all join a station going to the airport.
relax
The taxi's charged a fixed 30 e to the airport .
We were in Melia Castilla , near Real Madrid Stadium.
Very nice ,pool [ the reason we stayed there as it was 35c] great restr. within 5 minutes walk with easy ride bus to centre and very, very close to Chamartin.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.