• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid immigration

Bam0822

Time of past OR future Camino
(2018)
Will be landing in Madrid airport with a connecting flight to Naples. Only have one hour layover in Madrid for Naples flight. I will have carryone luggage. Is an hour enough time to get thru immigration/customs for my connecting flight?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Will be landing in Madrid airport with a connecting flight to Naples. Only have one hour layover in Madrid for Naples flight. I will have carryone luggage. Is an hour enough time to get thru immigration/customs for my connecting flight?
Where are you flying from? Are these flights on separate tickets?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Flying out of Miami, Florida. Same tickets, same airlines, just different flight. Although it appears I arrive in Madrid in terminal 4 and leave out of terminal 4s.

I don't remember it taking long to get through immigration and customs in Madrid, but one hour is pretty tight. The good news, is that since it's all on one ticket the airline will put you on the next flight with available seats if you don't make your connection. Also, when flying to/from Europe the standard of care required by the airline in case of delays is higher than in the US.

Is this the schedule that you originally booked? Or did the flight times change? If there was a change, call the airline and tell them that you aren't comfortable with such a short layover.

Also, if you decide to check bags they should be tagged to your final destination. You shouldn't have to pick them up like you do when entering the US.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hi, Bam, welcome to the forum! I think that it will be tight, but if the stars align right you can make it.

I would be surprised if you land in T4 and not T4S. Are you on something other than American or Iberia? If you land in T4 and have to get to T4S, that takes a 4 minute train ride. The trains come very frequently, but that will add a chunk of time.

I have never had much of a wait in Immigration in Madrid, you will likely be arriving in the early morning like I do. Also, if I remember right, I believe you will have to go through security again. I THINK that flying Europe-Madrid-US, you don't have to go through security a second time, but if you go US - Madrid-Europe you have to go through security in Madrid. If others can confirm or correct me, that`s be great, I've done it many times but can never remember which way requires a second security scan.

I think that in general it saves time to take the elevator in Barajas rather than the escalators, since some of the escalator trips are two long flights of stairs.

Trecile had a good point about your checked bags. I learned it the hard way years ago. When flying into the US you always have to pick up your bags at your US point of entry. Not so in Europe, you will first see your checked luggage in Naples. So don't go to the Madrid baggage claim! (I see that you may only have carryon luggage, but it's a good reminder for others).

Good luck with this, no matter how much of a hassle the trip, the Camino as your reward makes it all worth it! Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.