Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
When you walk the Camino, and suddenly a pandemic appears

Madrid -Leon Trains in Sept 2021

BombayBill

Still Learning
Past OR future Camino
Does anyone have any ideas on the trains in mid Sep Madrid-Leon?
Trainline, Omnio, and Renfe all show quick trains leaving from Madrid to Leon. But even though we’re within the 60 day limit you cannot book anything. The schedule shows but vanishes upon trying to book. I’m avoiding the bus.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Trainline, Omnio, and Renfe all show quick trains leaving from Madrid to Leon. But even though we’re within the 60 day limit you cannot book anything. The schedule shows but vanishes upon trying to book. I’m avoiding the bus.
Hi Bombay Bill,
On both Trainline and Renfe websites I searched Madrid Leon for 15/9 and was able to book trains for that day.On the Renfe site it would only allow booking of the later train which apparently takes around 4 hours or thereabouts.

BombayBill

Still Learning
Past OR future Camino
Hi Bombay Bill,
On both Trainline and Renfe websites I searched Madrid Leon for 15/9 and was able to book trains for that day.On the Renfe site it would only allow booking of the later train which apparently takes around 4 hours or thereabouts.
Hmm odd. Using Trainline I looked at Sep 15. It shows that I can book but into the process it warns that it will be a bus. The only “train” is late in the day and is the 4 hour one. Maybe I am excluded from booking at the moment as I am not in the EU. Thanks for looking at it.

Past OR future Camino
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
Booking online with RENFE has driven many lesser souls to the madhouse. This really comprehensive site (https://www.seat61.com/) has a good section on Spain and is worth the look for technical details.

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

BombayBill

Still Learning
Past OR future Camino
Booking online with RENFE has driven many lesser souls to the madhouse. This really comprehensive site (https://www.seat61.com/) has a good section on Spain and is worth the look for technical details.
Yes seat61 is one of my favorite sites. His advice that RENFE loads its schedule in blocks 60 days or less out from departure leads me to believe I can’t book in late September yet.

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
Rail Europe (was loco2) allows you to set up an alert as to when trains are made available for booking. It’s entirely possible that the RENFE tickets are not yet released.

BombayBill

Still Learning
Past OR future Camino
Rail Europe (was loco2) allows you to set up an alert as to when trains are made available for booking. It’s entirely possible that the RENFE tickets are not yet released.
Thanks I hadn’t checked RailEurope. Love the Alert feature. However it cannot be used for Sep 7 on for fast trains. I am resigned to the idea that RENFE hasn’t decided it’s schedule yet.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have been one of the frustrated REnfe customers on many occasions. But just a couple of weeks ago, not only was I able to buy a ticket online, but I was also able to insert my old folks card number and get the discount. I think the site works really well now, so you should give it a try. BTW, I was in the United States and used a US credit card when I was able to make the purchase.
Good luck.

BombayBill

Still Learning
Past OR future Camino
I have been one of the frustrated REnfe customers on many occasions. But just a couple of weeks ago, not only was I able to buy a ticket online, but I was also able to insert my old folks card number and get the discount. I think the site works really well now, so you should give it a try. BTW, I was in the United States and used a US credit card when I was able to make the purchase.
Good luck.
How far into the future were you able to book?

Camino Maps
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

peregrina2000

Staff member
Thanks I hadn’t checked RailEurope. Love the Alert feature. However it cannot be used for Sep 7 on for fast trains. I am resigned to the idea that RENFE hasn’t decided it’s schedule yet.
Hi BombayBill. I think you’re right that the source of the problem is the schedule and not the website. I am actually hoping to make that same trip a day later.

I just checked the bus schedules again, and the 11:15 bus from the airport to Leon (via several stops in Madrid unfortunately) has recently been added back in the schedule. I know you prefer not to take the bus, but at least that’s an option. It gets to Leon at 4 PM.

BombayBill

Still Learning
Past OR future Camino
Great price. Quite perplexing why Madrid -Leon doesn’t show. Perhaps there is scheduled work on the line as the train goes part way there and then you transfer to bus.

BombayBill

Still Learning
Past OR future Camino
Further OCD research shows that the issue is in Valladolid. There are fast trains from Madrid to Valladolid but then you must switch to a bus or regional train.

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
Hi BombayBill. I think you’re right that the source of the problem is the schedule and not the website. I am actually hoping to make that same trip a day later.

I just checked the bus schedules again, and the 11:15 bus from the airport to Leon (via several stops in Madrid unfortunately) has recently been added back in the schedule. I know you prefer not to take the bus, but at least that’s an option. It gets to Leon at 4 PM.
I've travelled from Madrid by train and bus - the Alsa buses are nicer, cheaper, and faster. Definitely an option worth looking at.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Glenshiro

Past OR future Camino
Le Puy - León, Camino Frances (2012 - 2019)
I have travelled Leon - Madrid airport by ALSA on a Supra bus - unbelievably comfortable! 3 seats across (1 single, 1 double) in armchair mode. Journey is 4.45 as it goes via Madrid Sur, but is direct to/from the airport. Tickets currently on sale for September from €14.70.

Past OR future Camino
I was looking at the exact same thing. I wanted a train on Sunday September 26 from Madrid to Leon and there was only late trains arriving almost at midnight. Alsa has buses leaving from T4. Probably going to book that instead and arrive at 4 pm. It will make for a long time in a mask but maybe we can nap the whole way.

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
I had difficulty booking Renfe last week, same route…early Sept. Trainline did not work either….No idea why…I have used them both many times. I finally booked with rail europe….which I dislike because of fees…always my last choice. Return train ( as a back up to flight) I had no trouble booking Renfe.com from SdC to MAD. Who knows what happens with them?

Camino Maps
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
I've travelled from Madrid by train and bus - the Alsa buses are nicer, cheaper, and faster. Definitely an option worth looking at.
I think the issue may be which mode of transport is better with the Delta virus around.

The day I am traveling,now indicates that the trains are full, except for an evening train!

Last edited:
Past OR future Camino
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
Good luck.

That is very good to hear. I have had so much trouble in the past and I put it in the same category as the Spanish Inquisition as an oddly unpleasant part of Spanish life.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads