• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid -Leon Trains in Sept 2021

BombayBill

Still Learning
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024 Invierno / VdLP or Cathar
Does anyone have any ideas on the trains in mid Sep Madrid-Leon?
Trainline, Omnio, and Renfe all show quick trains leaving from Madrid to Leon. But even though we’re within the 60 day limit you cannot book anything. The schedule shows but vanishes upon trying to book. I’m avoiding the bus.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Trainline, Omnio, and Renfe all show quick trains leaving from Madrid to Leon. But even though we’re within the 60 day limit you cannot book anything. The schedule shows but vanishes upon trying to book. I’m avoiding the bus.
Hi Bombay Bill,
On both Trainline and Renfe websites I searched Madrid Leon for 15/9 and was able to book trains for that day.On the Renfe site it would only allow booking of the later train which apparently takes around 4 hours or thereabouts.

Hi Bombay Bill,
On both Trainline and Renfe websites I searched Madrid Leon for 15/9 and was able to book trains for that day.On the Renfe site it would only allow booking of the later train which apparently takes around 4 hours or thereabouts.
Hmm odd. Using Trainline I looked at Sep 15. It shows that I can book but into the process it warns that it will be a bus. The only “train” is late in the day and is the 4 hour one. Maybe I am excluded from booking at the moment as I am not in the EU. Thanks for looking at it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ok so I did some testing. I am able to book a TRUE train up until Sept 7. After that it appears to show trains available but it’s actually Alsa bus.

Booking online with RENFE has driven many lesser souls to the madhouse. This really comprehensive site (https://www.seat61.com/) has a good section on Spain and is worth the look for technical details.
Yes seat61 is one of my favorite sites. His advice that RENFE loads its schedule in blocks 60 days or less out from departure leads me to believe I can’t book in late September yet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Rail Europe (was loco2) allows you to set up an alert as to when trains are made available for booking. It’s entirely possible that the RENFE tickets are not yet released.

Rail Europe (was loco2) allows you to set up an alert as to when trains are made available for booking. It’s entirely possible that the RENFE tickets are not yet released.
Thanks I hadn’t checked RailEurope. Love the Alert feature. However it cannot be used for Sep 7 on for fast trains. I am resigned to the idea that RENFE hasn’t decided it’s schedule yet.

Booking online with RENFE has driven many lesser souls to the madhouse. This really comprehensive site (https://www.seat61.com/) has a good section on Spain and is worth the look for technical details.
I have been one of the frustrated REnfe customers on many occasions. But just a couple of weeks ago, not only was I able to buy a ticket online, but I was also able to insert my old folks card number and get the discount. I think the site works really well now, so you should give it a try. BTW, I was in the United States and used a US credit card when I was able to make the purchase.
Good luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have been one of the frustrated REnfe customers on many occasions. But just a couple of weeks ago, not only was I able to buy a ticket online, but I was also able to insert my old folks card number and get the discount. I think the site works really well now, so you should give it a try. BTW, I was in the United States and used a US credit card when I was able to make the purchase.
Good luck.
How far into the future were you able to book?

Thanks I hadn’t checked RailEurope. Love the Alert feature. However it cannot be used for Sep 7 on for fast trains. I am resigned to the idea that RENFE hasn’t decided it’s schedule yet.
Hi BombayBill. I think you’re right that the source of the problem is the schedule and not the website. I am actually hoping to make that same trip a day later.

I just checked the bus schedules again, and the 11:15 bus from the airport to Leon (via several stops in Madrid unfortunately) has recently been added back in the schedule. I know you prefer not to take the bus, but at least that’s an option. It gets to Leon at 4 PM.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great price. Quite perplexing why Madrid -Leon doesn’t show. Perhaps there is scheduled work on the line as the train goes part way there and then you transfer to bus.

Further OCD research shows that the issue is in Valladolid. There are fast trains from Madrid to Valladolid but then you must switch to a bus or regional train.

Hi BombayBill. I think you’re right that the source of the problem is the schedule and not the website. I am actually hoping to make that same trip a day later.

I just checked the bus schedules again, and the 11:15 bus from the airport to Leon (via several stops in Madrid unfortunately) has recently been added back in the schedule. I know you prefer not to take the bus, but at least that’s an option. It gets to Leon at 4 PM.
I've travelled from Madrid by train and bus - the Alsa buses are nicer, cheaper, and faster. Definitely an option worth looking at.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Would using a VPN make a difference with the booking?
Good thinking. I tried and no it didn’t. It appears to be a delayed schedule release or a problem after Valladolid. No worries, I’ll wait and then if need be look at Alsa. Thanks for suggesting.

I have travelled Leon - Madrid airport by ALSA on a Supra bus - unbelievably comfortable! 3 seats across (1 single, 1 double) in armchair mode. Journey is 4.45 as it goes via Madrid Sur, but is direct to/from the airport. Tickets currently on sale for September from €14.70.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was looking at the exact same thing. I wanted a train on Sunday September 26 from Madrid to Leon and there was only late trains arriving almost at midnight. Alsa has buses leaving from T4. Probably going to book that instead and arrive at 4 pm. It will make for a long time in a mask but maybe we can nap the whole way.

I had difficulty booking Renfe last week, same route…early Sept. Trainline did not work either….No idea why…I have used them both many times. I finally booked with rail europe….which I dislike because of fees…always my last choice. Return train ( as a back up to flight) I had no trouble booking Renfe.com from SdC to MAD. Who knows what happens with them?

I've travelled from Madrid by train and bus - the Alsa buses are nicer, cheaper, and faster. Definitely an option worth looking at.
I think the issue may be which mode of transport is better with the Delta virus around.

The day I am traveling,now indicates that the trains are full, except for an evening train!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good luck.

That is very good to hear. I have had so much trouble in the past and I put it in the same category as the Spanish Inquisition as an oddly unpleasant part of Spanish life.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back