• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid or Bilbao?

bluemoonfound

Hello All,

I am planning to walk my first camino this September, and I have a quick travel question. Coming from the US, would it be better to fly into Madrid or Bilbao in order to begin in Astorga?

I had initially planned on flying into Madrid, but I've been doing too much Internet research about pickpockets and scams; I've never traveled internationally before, and I am afraid that I will very much look like I'm clueless. I have read that pickpockets tend to be prevalent in Madrid, and so I was wondering if Bilbao would be less stressful :shock:

Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, bluemoon,

Welcome to the forum. Hope we can help with your travel question.

My opinion would be that it´s much easier to fly in and out of Madrid. If you go on to Bilbao, you´re likely to have to change in the Madrid airport anyway (or else fly through London and then go London to Bilbao, but that might involve a change in airports in London).

There´s no doubt that pickpockets abound in Madrid, but the way to remove all worries is to put your valuables in a pocket under your shirt. It´s easy to have passport, credit cards, cash, etc. all out of reach, so then you don´t even have to worry about being alert.

You don´t say whether you plan to go by bus or train to Astorga, but either way, the public transportation options from the airport are great. You can decrease the pickpocket factor enormously by staying off the metro. That would mean taking either a bus (there´s a bus from the airport that goes directly to the Av. Américas bus station) or a commuter train (there´s a direct Cercanías train that goes from the airport to the Chamartín train station). I can find more information on either of these options if it would help you. Buen camino, Laurie

Hello -

Wevisited both in October and had zero problems. Just travel smart - don't have everything in one accessible place. Only take what you'll need (some cash and 1 of your credit cards) when out of your hotel. Spain is no better or worse than other countries. Be prepared and you'll be fine.

By the way, Bilbao's old town area is fabulous at night. We didn't do the Guggenheim, which is its modern claim to fame, but the city itself is wonderful, as is Madrid, where we stayed just off of Plaza del Sol.

Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Bluemoon!

I agree with the others - you'll probably have to go through Madrid airport to get to Bilbao anyway. If anything, you might be better off getting a connecting flight to Santiago rather than Bilbao for an Astorga start.

As Laurie says, you can minimise your exposure to risk in Madrid by choosing the right transport options, and could even just get a taxi straight from airport to train station (probably expensive, but cheaper than flying on elsewhere).

Take the precautions suggested, and look at the others in the crime section of the forum. There are useful tips there, such as keeping the rain cover on your backpack to make life difficult for pickpockets. You also have a great strength in that you probably won't have many things of great value with you to protect if you packed well!

Madrid is probably no worse for crime than Barcelona, Paris etc. They are all still very popular tourist destinations in Europe for city breaks, and most people have a great time. You won't be the only one looking like a visitor.

Buen Camino!

Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts on this -- I really appreciate it! I have decided to fly into Madrid, and I will be securing my valuables in an underclothes waist pack (I'm thinking PacSafe).

I'm still nervous about looking lost and vulnerable, but armed with common sense and the good advice on this forum, I will be just fine.

Thank you again!

Buen Camino :)

bluemoonfound said:
I'm still nervous about looking lost and vulnerable, but armed with common sense and the good advice on this forum, I will be just fine.
I'm a real believer in body language when in Spain. Even if you don't have a clue where you're going (in a station etc), walk towards where you think you should be with head high and chest out. If you find that you're in the wrong place throw your hand in the air and say 'Tut' as if to say it's someone else's fault. You'll look like a native. :D

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back