• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid summary

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
This is a beautiful Camino. You have mountains, forests, farmland, small and large pueblo's. Very little hard surface walking and good Albergues.

If you speak Spanish,
If you are walking with someone
If you enjoy a solitary walk.
This is a good Camino for you.

What I did miss was conversation. I actually did not have a real conversation for 11 days. Today was a pure joy to speak english.

I understand it is my fault but it is a downside to this Camino.

I am now reconsidering the Invierno which will be the same.

That said, I make be looking for solitude by then.

Ultreya,
Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Joe. I walked it alone and I don't speak Spanish. It remains the most challenging 15 days for me. But I am so glad I did it and discovered a real source of inner strength. I ate every meal alone for 15 days, and spoke only with one bicycle pilgrim for 2 hours one day. I read 5 novels (on my Kindle) that Camino! You have some time before you reach the Invierno, you may be once again ready for solitude. Buen Camino! Pam

This is a beautiful Camino. You have mountains, forests, farmland, small and large pueblo's. Very little hard surface walking and good Albergues.

If you speak Spanish,

What I did miss was conversation. I actually did not have a real conversation for 11 days. Today was a pure joy to speak english.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi, Joe.
I know exactly what you mean. I walked the Camino Olvidado from Bilbao to Ponferrada, the last two weeks totally alone, and when I got to Ponferrada, I decided to stick with the Francés and push my Invierno back a year. But you do have the advantage that you now have some days on the Francés, and you know you just might meet some people who want to give the Invierno a try. If you need any Invierno cheerleading from afar, there are several of us on the forum who can sing its praises for your potential companions if they wanted to check in here. ;)

Enjoy the Francés! Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

If you speak Spanish,

Ultreya,
Joe
Thankyou for sharing hasta luego

Hi, Joe.
I know exactly what you mean. I walked the Camino Olvidado from Bilbao to Ponferrada, the last two weeks totally alone, and when I got to Ponferrada, I decided to stick with the Francés and push my Invierno back a year. But you do have the advantage that you now have some days on the Francés, and you know you just might meet some people who want to give the Invierno a try. If you need any Invierno cheerleading from afar, there are several of us on the forum who can sing its praises for your potential companions if they wanted to check in here. ;)

Enjoy the Francés! Buen camino, Laurie

So far no one has even heard of the Invierno. Not likely to find a partner. Today is the fifth straight day of rain and mud. Near Astorga will probably push past it as I do not like the Albergue

Joe

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Some 5K of easy walking past Astorga is Murias de Rechivaldo. A lovely village. I have always stopped at the Las Aguidas. A lovely albergue with a great courtyard for just chilling.

Not when it is 5 and pouring rain. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@jpflavin1, hey Joe, were there many places to top up your water on the Madrid? I'm wondering whether I need to take a full day's supply every day.

Rob:

I am sorry to say I did not pay attention to fountains. You definitely need to have water going from Cercedilla to Segovia. Every other section has reasonable distances. I imagine a Summer walk could be very hot. I drank less than two liters a day. Even when I walked 40K.

Joe

Rob:

I am sorry to say I did not pay attention to fountains. You definitely need to have water going from Cercedilla to Segovia. Every other section has reasonable distances. I imagine a Summer walk could be very hot. I drank less than two liters a day. Even when I walked 40K.

Joe

Ther are two good fountains between Cercedilla and Segovia (appart from Casa Cirilo in Las Dehesas). One of them is located 200 mts from Puerto de La Fuenfria down a track on your right. But there is no need to do that detour because there is another fountain called "Fuente de la Reina" about 1 or 2 Kms from Fuenfria down to Valsain that is perfectly visible from the Camino on your left . It is a good water. Everybody drinks.

http://www.fotonazos.es/2010/07/camino-de-santiago-etapa-cercedilla-puerto-de-la-fuenfria-valsain/

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In general, on the Madrid, I carried close to 2 liters each day. On the Camino Frances I carried 1 liter each day.

I have decided to stay on the Camino Francés. It has rained for 7 days and at least I have had company at night. I am currently just past Ponferrada. The rain has stopped and the sun is trying to get out. Forecast is 80% rain.

Ultreya
Joe

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Ther are two good fountains between Cercedilla and Segovia (appart from Casa Cirilo in Las Dehesas). One of them is located 200 mts from Puerto de La Fuenfria down a track on your right. But there is no need to do that detour because there is another fountain called "Fuente de la Reina" about 1 or 2 Kms from Fuenfria down to Valsain that is perfectly visible from the Camino on your left . It is a good water. Everybody drinks.

http://www.fotonazos.es/2010/07/camino-de-santiago-etapa-cercedilla-puerto-de-la-fuenfria-valsain/

I did not see either of those fountains. Probably under the snow or maybe off????, for the Winter.

Joe

I have decided to stay on the Camino Francés. It has rained for 7 days and at least I have had company at night. I am currently just past Ponferrada. The rain has stopped and the sun is trying to get out. Forecast is 80% rain.

Ultreya
Joe
I have several friends on the CF right now. It has rained 18 out of 20 days!

I did not see either of those fountains. Probably under the snow or maybe off????, for the Winter.

Joe

They are probably the most famous fountains in Sierrra de Guadarrama. The first one is not visible from the Camino (200mts), but despite it usually gives little water it gave the name to the pass: Fuenfria (Fuente fría) Cold fountain, The other one Fuente de la Reina (Qeen's Fountain) is very near to the Camino and has a small pond. Maybe all was covered by the snow and you coundn´t see it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have arrived in Santiago. Madrid to Santiago in 24 days. The Pilgrim office says it is 660K. I think it is more like 700K.

The walk was very enjoyable despite quite a bit of rain and a tough snow day. Now two days in Santiago, hopefully to catch up with some Peregrino's I met along the way. Then home until next year.

Ultreya,
Joe

Congrats, Joe! I start walking tomorrow (and hopefully I can navigate around the marathon that I hadn't realised is on).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Congratulations and job well done, Joe!
So, the Camino de Madrid can be done in 24 days! It's the route I'm considering for next year!

Congratulations and job well done, Joe!
So, the Camino de Madrid can be done in 24 days! It's the route I'm considering for next year!

Angelo:

This route (Madrid to Santiago) can be done easily in 24 days, weather permitting. Madrid to Colmenar Viejo is relatively flat and can be done in one day. Colmenar to Segovia you start to get into the hills and mountains. Cercedilla to Segovia being the toughest day. After that the walk becomes pretty easy. A couple days of walking through pine forests and then it changes to farmland and Meseta till Sahagun.

Since you are walking in Spring, you should be prepared for some wet days. This year it was very wet but not a lot of mud on this trail. That said, year to year weather is very unpredictable. I imagine this could be a very hot Camino in late Spring through the fall.

I very much enjoyed this Camino with one exception. It would have been more enjoyable if I spoke Spanish.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thanks for the helpful summary of your trek, Joe. It's good to know that it can be done in a little over 3 weeks.
I aim to start on 3rd April which means there may still be snow on the Puerto de Fuenfria. And rain on some days along the CdM.
I'm planning the stages now and hope for a pleasant walk in agreeable weather... Hopefully.
Much appreciated!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the helpful summary of your trek, Joe. It's good to know that it can be done in a little over 3 weeks.
I aim to start on 3rd April which means there may still be snow on the Puerto de Fuenfria. And rain on some days along the CdM.
I'm planning the stages now and hope for a pleasant walk in agreeable weather... Hopefully.
Much appreciated!

Angelo:

Once you hit the Frances, you can walk pretty long days until you get back into the mountains. I know a lot of people cringe at 40+ kilometer days but they can be easily done at the end of the Madrid and early Frances from Sahagun. Plus you will most likely be without a Camino family until you reach the Frances.

Check with folks in Cercedilla regarding snow at Puento de Fuenfria. I crossed on April 3rd and there was a lot of snow (12 inches) for an extended period (8-10 km's). It made for a very long day. There is a post from Peregrina 2000 with a few pictures.

Weather is definitely a contributing factor to enjoyment. That said, weather and all I enjoyed the walk.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Hi Joe,
Yeah, I anticipate long days if the whole trek to Santiago is going to be completed in 24 days. As my days off work will be limited, I'll probably power through some stages after Sahagun since there'll be more accommodation available at the CF.
Walking through snow will be a novelty for me as I have only been to the Snowy Mountains here in NSW during summer. Should be interesting! (but wait, I enjoyed Park City Utah's snow ages ago!)
Thanks for the advice. I will heed the locals at Cercedilla and be sensible not to take risks if the weather is not good.
Nice Avatar- must be Segovia's Aqueduct.
Ta!

Hi Joe,
Yeah, I anticipate long days if the whole trek to Santiago is going to be completed in 24 days. As my days off work will be limited, I'll probably power through some stages after Sahagun since there'll be more accommodation available at the CF.
Walking through snow will be a novelty for me as I have only been to the Snowy Mountains here in NSW during summer. Should be interesting! (but wait, I enjoyed Park City Utah's snow ages ago!)
Thanks for the advice. I will heed the locals at Cercedilla and be sensible not to take risks if the weather is not good.
Nice Avatar- must be Segovia's Aqueduct.
Ta!

Angelo:

It is the Segovia aqueduct.

If I can be of assistance in any way, feel free to PM me.

Ultreya,
Joe

€46,-
Thanks again, Joe! I shall PM you before the start of my trek.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.