• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid T4 ATMs?

Damian27

Time of past OR future Camino
1st- 05/28 - 06/27/2013
I fly out of JFK next weekend and have yet to get some euros. I looked at the T4 map and it seems there are ATMs on the 2nd and ground floors.

Could y'all confirm that please?

Looks like my itinerary is now, out the plane, ATM, bus to Atocha, 11:30am train to Pamplona. STOKED!!

Thanks much!

Damian

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first time I went to Spain I arrived in Malaga. None of the ATMs at the airport were working. The one at the bus station worked fine though. But that was after I exchanged my remaining Brit pounds and Can dollars at the airport, something I hadn't intended to do.

Lesson learned: Bring some folding money. I'd suggest you get a hundred Euros from the money exchange at JFK (where I assume there is one).

There is money exchange at Barajas Airport if the ATMs don't work. If you can't get cash at the airport there will be ATMs at Atocha station or on the streets outside.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Whari...I didn't even consider JFK. Ill be checking in about 7 hrs before the flight so ill have time to scope it out.

Thanks Annie..good to know.

My 7 hrs prior is a tactical move on my part...my flight leaves at 8:30pm, but the flights across the NAT tracks (across the Atlantic west to east) start about 6pm, which means a steady mad rush at the terminal starting at about 4pm. To avoid all of that, I'll check in at about 1pm...nice and relaxed and with my Camino spirit intact!

Buen Camino!

Have you asked your bank to order you some? We live in a tiny town at least 4 hours from anywhere and they can get them here within a week. I forgot to preorder this trip but have enough euros to get me started. Sometimes your bank also might have some leftovers from when they preordered.

I did Terri, about two months ago, but I kept waiting for the exchange rate to get better lol. Now I'm out of time to order some.

No worries though...between the possible exchange booth in JFK and the ATM in T4 I should be fine.

Worst comes to worst St. James will show me the way to a kind heart that will give me a ride to a bank :) I arrive on a Monday before siesta so all will be well, I'm sure.

Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Damian, don't panic if you try an ATM and it doesn't work. Not every ATM will work with whatever card you had. The first time I traveled in Spain, I tried 2 or 3 ATMs and none worked, and I panicked. But then I found one that worked. The trick is to remember which bank's ATMs work with your card when you need more $$ down the road!

Also, make sure you tell your bank that you'll be traveling to Spain and withdrawing money from ATMs there. Some banks will lock your card if you don't notify them ahead of time. Ditto with credit cards.

Have a blast!

Melanie

On the back of your bank card there are symbols. These symbols tell you which bank systems are associated with your card. Typical international systems are:
Interac, Plus (associated with Visa), and Maestro (associated with Mastercard.)
The next time you go to a bank machine at home look hard at the machine and look to see which symbols are both on your card and on your hometown bank machine. These are often posted on the door of the bank too. Then in Europe do the same lol!
I've lived in Europe for a few years now but my first time, living in GB, in the early '90s, taught me how to find that crucial info quickly:)
I moved to the continent 6 years ago and now there are many more machines accepting both Plus and Maestro.
And beware of using large bills. Try to break anything over a €20 in large supermarkets or chain stores, as smaller or independent shops and most restaurants won't be able to break a €100. Even in Madrid I had problems paying with 50s except for the hotel and tourist traps. So keep that in mind, because bank machines like to spew out the biggest bills possible!

Thanks Melanie & Pack.

Trust me, there will be no panic from me...I feel at home in Spain...it's just that the last time I lived there we were still using pesetas! :D

I took the advice of Annie and others who swear by the Charles Shwab card and got myself one. I also have my Visa for purchases ONLY - I know better than to cash advance that puppy!

Thanks for the tips and the €20 or smaller reminder....same goes for those traveling here in the states...breaking a $50 is though here too so the same tactics will apply.

Ultreia!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Whenever I travel outside the US, I just tuck a couple hundred in USD in my wallet to exchange if needed. I use the ATM upon arrival to get cash, but if for some reason I have a problem, I can exchange some money at the airport. The rate will be crap, but the cash will tie me over until I can sort out the issue with ATMs. I would exchange USD for euros ahead of time though unless it makes you feel more comfortable.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back