• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to Burgos by bus or by train?

Time of past OR future Camino
202?
Would love to hear from Camino friends about taking the bus vs. train from Madrid airport to Burgos. The bus sounds inexpensive, with great schedules and departure right from the airport, within having to actually go into Madrid... But maybe I'm wrong? Many thanks for any suggestions.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bus is cheap.

Bus is frequent.

Journey is 2.5 hours ...

Some buses to Burgos pick up at airport. Avenida de America (from whence all the buses go) is easy to get to from the airport. EMT bus #200.

Bus Station in Burgos is downtown Burgos so its convenient. Train station in Burgos is on outskirts of Burgos.

I like the train but if I were going from Madrid to Burgos I would take the bus.

Caveat ... I have not traveled from Madrid to Burgos.

Would love to hear from Camino friends about taking the bus vs. train from Madrid airport to Burgos. The bus sounds inexpensive, with great schedules and departure right from the airport, within having to actually go into Madrid... But maybe I'm wrong? Many thanks for any suggestions.

I'm making that same trip this Wednesday and taking the bus. I made the trip from Burgos to the airport last fall. Alsa picks you up at T-4 and the Burgos bus station is about two blocks from the cathedral. As noted in another reply, the trip is about two and a half hours.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just did it last week. Easy as can be right from T4 (make sure that's where the bus you book departs from). And it takes you right to the center of town, a short walk across the river to the Cathedral and albergues.

Haven't taken the train,but agree with all the above on the bus. Last fall we took the Alsa bus from the airport T4 to Pamplona, and then returned a few weeks later from Burgos to the airport. Although we arrived at a different terminal, it was easy to get to T4, plenty of directional signs, and the Alsa station was well marked. We purchased arrival tickets online before we left the US, bought the returns at the station the day before we left Burgos. Seats are reserved. As others say, the Burgos station is just a few blocks from the Cathedral. All of it very easy and convenient.

I took the direct bus from T4 to Burgos in June 2014. It was fast, efficient and comfortable.

The journey took 2.5 hours and cost €21.13, including the €2.60 booking charge (on alsa.es). I definitely recommend it!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm taking the same trip next Wednesday (April 7). I find trains much more entertaining and comfortable so I am going to attempt to make the early train to Burgos so I have plenty of time to revisit favorite places. If I don't make the train I will take the bus to Burgos.

If I go from Madrid airport to Burgos via bus, can I still get to SJPP? Would I just spend the night in Burgos? Would it also be good to spend the night in SJPP or just head to Orrison?

Don't take the train! Don't take the train! Take the bus.I'm only saying this because my friend and I took the train to Burgos and it took more than four hours!

this was despite the fact that a nice young woman helping us to purchase the tickets told us that it was faster than the bus. Yeah, right.

Also, we were exhausted and listened to some bad advice – – and ended up getting off the bus at the wrong terminal at one point, wondering around the Subway in Madrid . We just kind of made every mistake! I will say, it's pretty cool that when despite making every mistake, you still reach your destination!

The conductor on the train was really a grouchy guy, but fortunately was keeping an eye out for us. My friend was watching her GPS, and didn't think that we were at Burgos yet. He came into our car and exclaimed that we were missing our stop, and pulled the emergency stop signal! Man.

So, I suggest that you take the bus!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bus is best imo. You can get of just a few hundred meters from the cathedral. The train stops way out of town. You would need a taxi or still a bus to get into town.

The train will not be faster.

If I go from Madrid airport to Burgos via bus, can I still get to SJPP? Would I just spend the night in Burgos? Would it also be good to spend the night in SJPP or just head to Orrison?
You want to go to Sjpp via Burgos? Would in not be better to go to pamplona from madrid?

Sjpp...imo you wont miss anything if you dont see Sjpp. Its a real tourist trap. Straight to Orrison i would say, or straight to Roncesvalles. Unless you want to walk the pyrenees.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Yes, it is possible to get from Burgos to SJPdP.

Renfe train from Burgos to Irun Renfe Station

or ALSA bus from Burgos to San Sebastian or Irun Renfe Station

Metro Donostialdea train from San Sebastian Amara station or Irun Colon station to Hendaia station. Amara is 700 meters from Plaza Pio XII where the outdoor bus station is located in San Sebastian. Colon Station is across the tracks from Irun Renfe Station. Hendaia is co-located with Gare d'Hendaye.

SNCF train from Gare d'Hendaye to Gare Bayonne

or Transports64 Euskadi Express bus 816 from Irun Renfe Station or Gare d'Hendaye to Place de Basques in Bayonne. This is about 1 km from Gare Bayonne.

SNCF train from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

I just did it last week. Easy as can be right from T4 (make sure that's where the bus you book departs from). And it takes you right to the center of town, a short walk across the river to the Cathedral and albergues.
Hi Viranani,
Wondering if you pre booked your bus ticket or bought when you got there? I am doing teh trip on Monday but teh time is tight so am wary of buying in advance...that said I'm also wary of it being sold out and having to wait a few hours.
Thanks
Dean

Yes, Dean, I booked and paid online. So when I got out to where the buses were all I had to do was show the receipt.It was a piece of cake!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Hi Viranani

Your post is quite helpful. Thank you for your ideas. We need your help.

We are leaving tomorrow, July 6th to start our Camino. We land in Madrid on the 7th, arrival at 3.55. We are heading to Burgos. You mentioned that we can take the bus directly from the airport. Please send us détails on how to go about getting to the bus. We do not want to book the bus online because we do not know how long customs will take at the airport but we would like to get to Burgos early to hopefully get the credentiels and a place to stay.

SOS...

Thank you kindly for your very very quick reply (wink)
Catherine and Donna

Alsa buses to Burgos leave from the Intercambiador de Avenida de America. Some, but not all, of the buses pick up at the bus station at T4 Barajas Airport.

Terminals are connected by airport shuttle. There is an automatic people mover APM shuttle from T4S to T4.

EMT Madrid #200 bus goes from several locations Airport to Avenida de America.

See the Airport map at Aena website.
http://www.aena.es/en/madrid-barajas-airport/index.html

ALSA site is not functioning at time of writing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Alsa buses to Burgos leave from the Intercambiador de Avenida de America. Some, but not all, of the buses pick up at the bus station at T4 Barajas Airport.
Terminals are connected by airport shuttle. There is an automatic people mover APM shuttle from T4S to T4.
EMT Madrid #200 bus goes from several locations Airport to Avenida de America.
See the Airport map at Aena website.
http://www.aena.es/en/madrid-barajas-airport/index.html
ALSA site is not functioning at time of writing.
As @whariwharangi has said, the buses pick up at T4--a short distance outside the arrivals area--this is the place I caught the bus, rather than the Intercambiador de Avenida de America. I had a ticket (bought online) but I believe there's a desk also in the terminal. whether it would be open at that hour of the morning is another story. I'd suggest getting a ticket online for a time that gives you a few hours to get through customs and immigration, and then relax and enjoy the ride (it's a nice one!).

Admittedly I haven't been there in 10 years, but I found Avda de las Americas an awful, airless place to have to wait for a bus.
Given the choice I'd definitely get the bus from the airport.

Hi KNganga! Welcome to the forum!

There's an Alsa sales point at the (terminal 4) of the airport where you can get a ticket for the next bus to Burgos out of the airport with seats available. If you arrive at 3:55 a.m., the office won't be open yet (it opens several hours later) though. But if you arrive at 3:55 p.m., it'll be opened and you could get there all the info needed (schedule, fares, directions' to the place from where the bus departs...).

P.S.: If you arrive to terminal 1 or terminal 2, take the airport shuttle bus from your arrival terminal to terminal 4. If you arrive to terminal 3, walk to terminal 2 and take the airport shuttle bus at terminal 2.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Viranani

Your post is quite helpful. Thank you for your ideas. We need your help.

We are leaving tomorrow, July 6th to start our Camino. We land in Madrid on the 7th, arrival at 3.55. We are heading to Burgos. You mentioned that we can take the bus directly from the airport. Please send us détails on how to go about getting to the bus. We do not want to book the bus online because we do not know how long customs will take at the airport but we would like to get to Burgos early to hopefully get the credentiels and a place to stay.

SOS...

Thank you kindly for your very very quick reply (wink)
Catherine and Donna

Hi
I did that trip a few weeks back and it really is quite easy. As you've read you just have to get on the shuttle to get to terminal 4 from whichever terminal you land at. The shuttles are clearly marked and it's easy. Then down in the ground floor of terminal 4 you can buy your ticket at the alsa booth right outside the door. They will then tell you where the bus is but for me it was right there and clear.
Looking at the alsa site it seems you may have to wait until 6:45 pm for a bus. This was the case for me. That gets you to Burgos around 9:30 pm I think.

Buen Camino

We do not want to book the bus online because we do not know how long customs will take at the airport but we would like to get to Burgos early to hopefully get the credentiels and a place to stay.

With an almost 4PM arrival in Madrid, it will be evening by the time you get to Burgos. I'd book a hotel room ahead rather than trying to find an alberque with space that late in the day - especially if you have to wait until 6:45 for your bus. If you are getting into Burgos around 9:30, the alberques will be closing their doors as you arrive.

It's interesting to see the comments about the bus being faster than the train. I was of the understanding that the Burgos/Madrid train was now an AVE (220km plus) service - or is this a planned upgrade?? I took the train from Madrid to Pamplona last Sept and was most happy with the service - it was one of the Media Distance trains - I think the max speed was 180 km - a bit faster than the bus, but there were 5 or so stops.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's interesting to see the comments about the bus being faster than the train. I was of the understanding that the Burgos/Madrid train was now an AVE (220km plus) service - or is this a planned upgrade?? I took the train from Madrid to Pamplona last Sept and was most happy with the service - it was one of the Media Distance trains - I think the max speed was 180 km - a bit faster than the bus, but there were 5 or so stops.

The distance from Madrid to Burgos is short. The bus goes to downtown Burgos while the train goes to Burgos Rosalia ... several km from downtown Burgos ... so while the actual train is faster, the bus wins on this route because its more convenient.

I was of the understanding that the Burgos/Madrid train was now an AVE (220km plus) service - or is this a planned upgrade??

Burgos can be reached from Madrid by slow MD trains or by quick(er) Alvia trains. Alvia trains are designed to use the standard gauge high-speed network (at speeds almost as high as those of the AVE trains) where it's available and change to the Iberian gauge standard (i.e.: no high-speed) network where the high-speed one isn't available. Right now, on the route to Burgos, they go on the high-speed network till Valdestillas (or till Valladolid -not sure if maybe till Venta de Baños instead now that that short strecht of high speed network it's opened-, depending on the train) and continue on the non-high-speed network from there onwards. There are works in place to extend the Standard gauge high speed network till Burgos but they aren't finished yet. It was expected the high speed network would be ready the first semester of this year but they run late so it'll be necessary to wait till later this year or to next year (or to we'll see when) to be able to make all the route from Madrid to Burgos at high speed(s) on the high speed network.

P.S.: The route that can be already made by AVE train is the one from Madrid to León.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, because the bus leaves right from the airport, it eliminates the time required to get from the airport to one of the train stations.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
hi
from what I have read here bus would be more preferable than train to travel Madrid -Burgos... did I get it right?
should I make a reservation in advance?

is somebody travelling from Madrid to Burgos on 14/06?

hi
from what I have read here bus would be more preferable than train to travel Madrid -Burgos... did I get it right?
should I make a reservation in advance?

is somebody travelling from Madrid to Burgos on 14/06?

Hi
Yes I took the bus from Madrid to Burgos. It was quite simple. I didn't book in advance because I was worried that if my plane was delayed I could miss the bus. Turns out my plane was delayed so i made the right decision. I ended up having to wait a couple of hours at the burgos airport but it wasn't a big deal.
The bus takes you right into downtown Burgos which is great and, if memory serves me correctly, the train is a bit outside burgos.
You can check on the alsa bus site to see what times the busses are at so you have an idea.
Getting from one terminal to another in Madrid is pretty easy.

Buen Camino!!

Hi
Yes I took the bus from Madrid to Burgos. It was quite simple. I didn't book in advance because I was worried that if my plane was delayed I could miss the bus. Turns out my plane was delayed so i made the right decision. I ended up having to wait a couple of hours at the burgos airport but it wasn't a big deal.
The bus takes you right into downtown Burgos which is great and, if memory serves me correctly, the train is a bit outside burgos.
You can check on the alsa bus site to see what times the busses are at so you have an idea.

Buen Camino!!

thank you

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi

Buen Camino!!

may I use this oportunety and ask you how many days did it take for you to get from burgos to Santiago?
and if there are any advices you think I might use I would be greatful to hear :)

may I use this oportunety and ask you how many days did it take for you to get from burgos to Santiago?
and if there are any advices you think I might use I would be greatful to hear :)

Hi. Of Course.
It took me 23 days to get from Burgos to Finisterre. I walked long days from Santiago to Finisterre so it took 21 days to Santiago I think. To me seeing the sea was really the culmination of my Camino so I'm so glad I continued past Santiago.
I didn't take any days off (though one or two would have served me well) but I did have a couple of short days. I spent almost a full day in Leon which was great.
The only room I booked from home was in Burgos so that I didn't have to worry about where I would stay when i got there.
I had planned to spend a big part of my forst day in Burgos and only walk a bit but when i woke up that morning I felt the need to walk so I didn't see much of Burgos (but it looked lovely).
Please feel free to ask me any questions. People on the forum helped me so much in my planning for my camino last year and if I can help I am so happy to. I also kept a blog so feel free to go on there if you think it might help (though everyone's camino is different and personal). Here is the link to the blog-
https://deanpatrickfleming.com/blog/

As noted in earlier messages, the bus works well. It leaves from T4 terminal and goes straight to Burgos (I did this twice and once it made a stop along the way). The arrival in Burgos is only a few blocks from the Cathedral and the Camino.

The carrier is Alsa. I bought my ticket online ahead of time. Probably not necessary but I wanted to make sure. There is a ticket counter in the T4 terminal.

An observation...as I went out to the buses, there were many pilgrims taking the bus to various starting points along the Camino. It was somewhat confusing and humorous, but it is easy to find your bus.

I'm envious....I wish I was making the walk again.....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As noted in earlier messages, the bus works well. It leaves from T4 terminal and goes straight to Burgos (I did this twice and once it made a stop along the way). The arrival in Burgos is only a few blocks from the Cathedral and the Camino.

The carrier is Alsa. I bought my ticket online ahead of time. Probably not necessary but I wanted to make sure. There is a ticket counter in the T4 terminal.

An observation...as I went out to the buses, there were many pilgrims taking the bus to various starting points along the Camino. It was somewhat confusing and humorous, but it is easy to find your bus.

I'm envious....I wish I was making the walk again.....

thanks a lot IowaPilgrim

an other question, as my flight in Madrid comes pretty late around 8PM, and bus takes around 2,5 hours, I will probably take the late one at 22,15 and I will be in Burgos at 00:45... do you have any suggestions on where to book accomodation that one night?
do you have any suggestions on what to visit in Burgos?

thanks a lot IowaPilgrim

an other question, as my flight in Madrid comes pretty late around 8PM, and bus takes around 2,5 hours, I will probably take the late one at 22,15 and I will be in Burgos at 00:45... do you have any suggestions on where to book accomodation that one night?

I'd suggest staying in Madrid and catch a bus from Avenida de America in the morning.

thanks a lot IowaPilgrim

I agree with the above response. If you are a woman arriving that late, I recommend staying at a hotel near the airport. I have used Ibis and TRYP. Both have shuttles. When my daughter arrived solo late at night, I had her take a taxi to the hotel. Even, if you are male travelling solo, I would stay overnight at a hotel and then take the bus the next day.

For visits in Burgos: if your are into archaeology, the Museum of Human Development is worth a visit. The museum was basically built to house the finds from Atapureco. And, of course, there is the cathedral.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just for general reference, many of the buses that call at T4 start at the T1 bus station 15 minutes earlier. Have a look at the timetable to see if this is the case for the bus you want. If you are concerned about getting a seat but don't want to tie yourself to a booking in case your flight is delayed, there is the option of going over to T1.

Just for general reference, many of the buses that call at T4 start at the T1 bus station 15 minutes earlier. Have a look at the timetable to see if this is the case for the bus you want. If you are concerned about getting a seat but don't want to tie yourself to a booking in case your flight is delayed, there is the option of going over to T1.

Thx

I agree with the above response. If you are a woman arriving that late, I recommend staying at a hotel near the airport. I have used Ibis and TRYP. Both have shuttles. When my daughter arrived solo late at night, I had her take a taxi to the hotel. Even, if you are male travelling solo, I would stay overnight at a hotel and then take the bus the next day.

For visits in Burgos: if your are into archaeology, the Museum of Human Development is worth a visit. The museum was basically built to house the finds from Atapureco. And, of course, there is the cathedral.

Hi. May I ask you to explain why do you think it is recomendable to stay over night in Madrid? Is it unsafe to travel by bus in the night? Are buses generaly considered not safe?
P.s. yes i am female

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have never heard that travelling by bus in Spain is unsafe. I am guessing that they are concerned about being in Burgos at 1am. That wouldn't worry me, but make your own mind up.

Don't expect an albergue or small guesthouse to let you in at 1am, but any mid size hotel should have 24hour reception.

... Is it unsafe to travel by bus in the night? Are buses generaly considered not safe? ...

I have traveled many times per bus in Spain, including over night, and it is perfectly safe. BC SY

Hi. May I ask you to explain why do you think it is recomendable to stay over night in Madrid? Is it unsafe to travel by bus in the night? Are buses generaly considered not safe?
I prefer not to arrive anywhere in the middle of the night, particularly a city that I am not familiar with. Especially if I am tired and jet-lagged, I prefer to normalize my sleep routine and enjoy the journey. So, I think the suggestion to stay overnight in Madrid was for general comfort. Buses in Spain are quite safe, as are the cities in general.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will travel (bus or train) from Burgos to Madrid airport. we will arrive at 10:45 am in Madrid airport and my airplane will depart at 12:10 pm. All we have 1 hour 25 minutes in Madrid. Is it possible to check all airport security line and get in the airplane?

@joeandmiki if it is to catch an international flight I would be concerned. Particularly as I have missed 2 international flights in my time, due to (1) a train drivers strike (2) traffic and a malfunctioning watch!

I now always travel to the port of exit at least 12 hours before, and usually 24.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back