• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to Hontanas - travel advice welcomed

Glenshiro

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - SdC, Podiensis, Frances, Invierno 2012-23
I am due to fly to Madrid on Wednesday 24 April, which coincides with a scheduled nationwide strike of ground handling staff, so my flight may be cancelled.

I had intended starting from Burgos to walk to Leon and have booked accommodation along the way.

As a precaution, I have booked a seat on the first flight from Gatwick to Madrid on Thursday 25 April. If I have to take up this option I will lose my first night's accommodation in Burgos and my accommodation for Thursday 25 April is in Hontanas.

Any advice on reaching Hontanas from Madrid airport? (Where I will be arriving at about 11 AM)

Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is a section of the Camino that is not well communicated by bus.
I would go from Madrid airport (T4) to Burgos by bus (ALSA company, ticket online possible) and then ask directly in Burgos bus terminal, as you usually do in Spain.
Rome2Rio mentions a little local company that goes to Hontanas, autosotoyalonso.es but I would not trust too much this info.
A taxi from Burgos is possible, but it will be expensive (tariffs here)
It things get too complicated and stressful, you may follow a "zen" option: consider your reservation in Hontanas lost (if you can´t cancel it), enjoy a a day in Burgos, decide calmly your transportation options, and the following day take the bus to your starting point. Hey, it is supposed to be a pleasant walk, not a duty or a task.

Last edited:
Thanks, Felipe.
This is a section of the Camino that is not well communicated by bus
How very true! Alonso do provide a service from Burgos to Hontanas - one bus a week on Friday evening.

I already have a ticket for Burgos on Wednesday - I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Any other suggestions?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Uhm....Autobuses Amaya leaves daily from Burgos to Fromista at 17:30. It goes by Tardajos (that is in the Camino) and later to Castrojeriz, where you can walk "in reverse" to Hontanas, just 9 km, about 2 hrs. If it is getting late and dark, you can follow the paved road -as I remember it, there is not too much traffic.
There is apparently a taxi in Castrojeriz, +34 947 37 77 03 (in villages, it is better to reserve beforehand, as there are not too many customers).
Buen camino!

Yes, I have looked at that route. I think the nearest point on it to Hontanas is Castrillo de Murcia, just under 6k from Hontanas so, yes, easily walkable. However, I will bear Castrojeriz in mind.

Your plans seem too ambitious to me. Spend the night in Burgos and take a bus to Castrojeriz the next day. Most people in Hontanas do their business in Castrojeriz so getting a lift is quite feasible. - perhaps you can move your booking one day ahead. The camino road from Burgos to Hontanas is partly a dirt road used by farm vehicles so a Taxi may not be keen to take you the direct route.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I think @Felipe has explained all the options quite well. It's awkward and time consuming to get there. There's the daily - expect Sundays - bus Fromista-Burgos, leaving early in the morning in one direction and late in the afternoon in the other direction but it skips Hontanas. Both Fromista and Burgos have reasonable connections to Madrid by bus and train.

I'd take a taxi from Burgos - the price seems to be in the region of 50€. Perhaps contact Jacotrans - they say that they do not transport persons but can organise a taxi.

And the taxis from Burgos to Hontanas will of course use the roads to Hontanas and not the Camino track ☺.

Your plans seem too ambitious to me.
With respect, I don't think so. The bus from Burgos arrives in Castrillo de Murcia at 18:10, and sunset in that area on 25 April is not until 21:07, so plenty of time to walk to Hontanas (assuming I take the right road!)

I'd take a taxi from Burgos
Thanks for the suggestion, Kathar1na, but taxis are against my religion - I'm Scottish.......

Thanks for the suggestion, Kathar1na, but taxis are against my religion - I'm Scottish.......
LOL.

Well, where I come from, they are allowed on the condition that there is no public transport available to get there or back. 🙃

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think @Felipe has explained all the options quite well. It's awkward and time consuming to get there. There's the daily - expect Sundays - bus Fromista-Burgos, leaving early in the morning in one direction and late in the afternoon in the other direction but it skips Hontanas. Both Fromista and Burgos have reasonable connections to Madrid by bus and train.

I'd take a taxi from Burgos - the price seems to be in the region of 50€. Perhaps contact Jacotrans - they say that they do not transport persons but can organise a taxi.

And the taxis from Burgos to Hontanas will of course use the roads to Hontanas and not the Camino track ☺.
Your mention about riding on Jacotrans reminds me of a guy who showed up on Jacotrans at the albergue in Atapuerca on one of my Caminos. He was an elderly guy, as well as a total pain in the butt. When he arrived at the albergue on the van around 2 pm, after the rest of us pilgrims were out hanging our laundry in the trees and waiting for the albergue to open and give us bed assignment; he put his backpack at the front of the queue because he said he had traveled the longest distance. There was a very heat confrontation in Spanish which nearly came to blows. Bottom line was there were enough beds for everyone that night but.......

You NEED to download the app "Rome2Rio" to your smartphone. You can also get to www.rome2rio.com on the internet.

This app allows you to figure how to get from and to nearly any two named points on the planet.

This WILL help.

You NEED to download the app "Rome2Rio" to your smartphone

Thanks, Tom, but I don't own a smartphone. I am aware of Rome2Rio, and it's a good starting point, but not definitive.

I have travelled by bus from Burgos to Castrojeriz and the bus left Burgos at 17.30 and arrived at Castrojeriz about 6.45pm so plenty of time to walk in daylight back to Hontanas.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The threatened strikes of ground handling staff at Spanish airports, scheduled for 21 and 24 April, have been called off. So I can proceed as planned, after all! Thanks to all for your suggestions. See you on the Camino.
Very good to hear! I arrive in Madrid 16.00, a few hours behind you, and my bus leaves for Burgos at 18.45,, in Burgos 21.15, as scheduled....

The threatened strikes of ground handling staff at Spanish airports, scheduled for 21 and 24 April, have been called off. So I can proceed as planned, after all!
Super! When I replied earlier, I didn't realise that you are probably going to continue from where you last stopped. I'm pleased to see that now, with the strike called off, you are not going to miss one single step of the way!

I arrive in Madrid 16.00, a few hours behind you,
Alex, let's hope we meet somewhere on the trail. You'll recognise me easily - I'll be carrying a rucksack, leaning on a trekking pole and swearing softly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Arrived on time at Madrid without any problems. It's raining heavily, which reminds me of home (and why I left it.)
Now waiting for the bus to Burgos. They have changed the route of the shuttle bus, which now leaves T1 from the departure floor. I will post about it separately.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In Burgos. Several drouthy neighbours, but no snow. Was raining hard when I arrived, but stopped now. Forecast is for a slow improvement.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, thanks, not at the airport, anyway. The weather between Burgos and Hontanas was pretty foul - rain and hail, with a biting wind, but I had a great evening there and no rain since. I am now in Bercianos, after four days of warm sunshine.

Arrived on time at Madrid without any problems. It's raining heavily, which reminds me of home (and why I left it.)
Now waiting for the bus to Burgos. They have changed the route of the shuttle bus, which now leaves T1 from the departure floor. I will post about it separately.
your comment about the rain reminds of one fine wet and very windy day when my eldest (Scottish) brother swore not so softly that he had been reminded about the reason why he would never come back to live where we were born.. now he lives in sunny Surrey. Traitor.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, thanks, not at the airport, anyway. The weather between Burgos and Hontanas was pretty foul - rain and hail, with a biting wind, but I had a great evening there and no rain since. I am now in Bercianos, after four days of warm sunshine.
In the lovely old albergue? I was so lucky there, some Italian women who were cooks took over... and that is where I first saw the notice on the dining table: what you give, feeds tomorrow’s pilgrims.

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Looking for suggestions How do I get to Fatima from Lisbon Airport. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back