• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to Merida bus or train and Credencial in Merida

Bem48

Bem in Sydney
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008 Camino del Norte 2011 VdlP 2013
Levante in 2019?
I'm planning to do my next Camino (VdlP) in mid-September this year.
Arriving from Sydney in Madrid, I want to connect the easiest way to Merida,
to start walking from there. Who can help with bus or train connections, straight
from Barajas Airport?? I arrive in the morning, hope to be in Merida in the afternoon.
Can I obtain Credencial in Merida?
I have 4 weeks to arrive in SdC....easily achievable ???
I imagine, I could experience any weather and temperature at this time of year
along the way.
Thank you for your help.

Buen Camino a todos

Bem from Sydney

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Bem48,
Looks like the bus goes from the Mendez Alvaro bus station, way in the south of Madrid. The easiest way to get there from Barajas would be on the Cercanias trains. You can find info on the bus times here http://gospain.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/ ... zabus.com/
(let me know if that link doesn't work)

Information on Cercanias times and routes to get to the bus station from the airport would be on the RENFE website. The metro also would take you there but it would be a long convoluted trip.

I also saw on RENFE's website that there are 4 trains a day from Madrid to Merida, leaving around
10:30, 2, 3, 4:45. Trains leave from Atocha. (atocha is very easy to get to from the airport on Cercanias or on the airport bus, there's info on this on lots of other forum posts).

That should get you started. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie,
that will get me started. Do you know if credencial is available in Merida ??

Gracias Bem

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would think you could get a credencial at the tourist office or in the albergue. What I really wanted to say was that Merida is a place to spend some time. There are some splendid historical viewpoints and a beautiful museum ( closed on Mondays). The Roman town over all I would say.
Buen camino!
Randi

Hello bem,

There are 8 buses as of now going from madrid to merida. As mentioned by laurie, you will need to go to the bus station in town from madrid barajas airport. Journey time is approximately 4 hours for the express bus and 5 hours for the normal bus. Ticket price ranges from normal bus fare of €28.25 to express bus fare €40.45. Their website is http://www.avanza.com.

There are 4 trains leaving atocha station at the cheapest price of € 36.30 to merida.

You can normally asked for the credential at the cathedral or the asociacion de amigos del camino de santiago de merida, delgado valencia, 3, 06300 merida. Telephone 924 312 309. Also try the tourist office. If i remember correctly the hospitalero at the municipal albergue does not have credential.

Good luck and buen camino.

Hi Bem,

Paul and i arrived in Madrid from Brisbane in May and got the train from Madrid to Merida with no problem, you can buy the ticket at the station the trip takes approx 4 hours.
Regarding the credential if you can get one before you arrive in Merida i would sugest it, we have a real problem getting one. We went to the tourist office and they said that only the Albergue had them, which they did but it was a very dodgy photocopy that probably would not hold up for the whole trip. Luckly when we stayed at Aljucen the kind lady there gave us a "real one".
It took us 28 days to reach Santiago this was with no rest days, with some big days thrown in but it can be done.
Hope this helps :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Paul I was in Merida back in May - it rained and rained and rained. Coldest, wettest May in Spain for 40 years. But enough of the weather, from my observations the TI in Merida was more interested in selling the city and its Roman attractions. Any mention of the Camino was coincidental - even the directions out of the city were hazy at best. I would strongly recommend getting your Credencial before you leave. The CSJ people in UK can supply - but be very, very firm with them about posting it. They tend to forget. There is an Australian supplier - but again I would check out their costs.

I am beginning to believe that it was about time that CSJ and other organisations put the Credencial onto their web site - with the link, print your own, being accessible on payment of a small fee.

As for doing the VLDP in four weeks - you are in for a number of long, hard days - 25 km is the average. You may need to consider doing a few bus jumps - say from Salamanca to Zamora. (I did not complete my Camino due to a foot injury so can not offer advice on the hard bits north of Galisteo). Good luck, brush up on your Spanish and Buen Camino

Hi.

I'll add that if you're going to take the bus to Merida, which I've always done, make sure to sign up ahead of time for the shared AeroCity shuttle. The shuttle will take you from the airport to Estacion Sur de Autobuses, and it's far cheaper and more reliable than a taxi.

If you're fit, you can do the route in a month.

Buen Camino!
Melanie

Thank you so much,
Randi, Piogaw, Paul&Sue, Mike II, Melanie
your advice, thoughts and answers to my questions are very helpful and
appreciated! Thank you all !
Yes, I have been in Merida before and know what gem and fantastic place
it is, one really can connect with Roman times and more.
I definitely make sure to obtain my Credencial beforehand.
I will be working on your train and bus advice, will see which works best for me,
but the Aerocity Shuttle, as mentioned from Melanie, will be are real alternative to
the long and cumbersome trip by Metro or Bus from Barajas to Estacion del Sur. Thank
you for this!
Yes, I consider myself pretty fit (for a 60plus years old) and should manage within a month,
25 to 30 km average should not be a problem, as I managed the Frances from SJPdP to SdC in its
full length in 29 days a few years ago, and walked the del Norte in a few more days just last year.
With "el español" I do get by as well!
What I'm still wondering about is the weather and temperatures, I could expect at this time of the year.
Will start in Merida about 25th of September, flight is booked from SdC at 24th of October.
Perhaps someone can share their experience with me in this respect.
I did look at the averages on the internet..but!?!

Thanks again for all your help and advice

BUEN CAMINO
Bem from Sydney

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back