• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to Pamplona via bus

M

Mark Lee

I'm in the middle of planning my second Camino (maybe flying out of the US on May 27th). I've decided that instead of flying in to Dublin and taking a flight to Biarritz/Bayonne I would fly to Madrid instead. The first time I did the Camino last summer I had flown in to Paris and taken the train down to SJPP. I decided this time I would rather fly in to Madrid as it seems easier and cheaper than Dublin or Paris.
Anyway, I know all this has been covered before but I mainly have one question. Is it difficult to get to the bus station in Madrid from the airport? I want to take a bus to Pamplona and go from there to SJPP.
What is the name of the bus station or is it in a terminal in the airport? I researched it a bit and I believe the buses leave to Pamplona at 0115, 1045, 1315, 1515, and 1945. If I get the flight I want to Madrid, I will be arriving before 9:00 am.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
ALSA provides bus service to Pamplona from Airport T4 and Avenida de America. The bus from T4 stops at Avenida de America and there are more buses from Avenida de America.

Following is generic information for Madrid:

2001 This section discusses transportation services in Madrid.

2002 Madrid Airport

The airport in Madrid is called Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport (MAD). There are 4 terminals. T1, T2, and T3 are connected while T4 is reached via shuttle.

Madrid Airport (MAD)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

Information about the shuttle to T4 is located here
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee...554331229//Connections-between-terminals.html

2003 Getting around in Madrid

Connections to Madrid include subway (Metro), light rail transit (Cercanius), and Express bus (EMT).

Madrid Metro has stations at T1-T2-T3 and at T4. The trains run every 6 - 12 minutes.

Madrid Cercanius has a station at T4. The trains run every 30 minutes.

EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express operates a bright yellow express bus every 13 -20 minutes from the airport T1-T2-T3 and airport T4 to Puerta de Atocha Renfe station.

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

Madrid Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/documentos/planos/Planomayo2013.pdf

Madrid Cercanius (operated by Renfe)
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

EMT Madrid provides Madrid transit bus services
http://www.emtmadrid.es/

EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express
http://www.emtmadrid.es/lineaAeropuerto/index.html

2004 Train Service Madrid

Renfe operates Spain's national train network.

Renfe http://www.renfe.com/index.html

2005 Madrid Train Stations

Madrid has two major Renfe train stations operated by adif; Puerto de Atocha and Chamartin.

Chamartin Renfe Station
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/infraestructuras/estaciones/17000/informacion_000295.shtml

Puerta de Atocha Renfe Station
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/infraestructuras/estaciones/60000/informacion_000070.shtml

2006 Madrid Airport to train station Puerto de Atocha

a. Puerto de Atocha is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; line 10 to Tribunal; and, line 1 to Renfe Atocha.

b. Puerto de Atocha is reached by Renfe Cercanius direct from Madrid Airport T4

c. Puerto de Atocha is reached by EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express direct from Madrid Airport.

2007 Madrid Airport to train station Chamartin

a. Chamartin is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; and, line 10 to Chamartin.

b. Chamartin is reached by Renfe Cercanius direct from Madrid Airport T4.

2008 Bus Service Madrid

There are hundreds of bus companies in Spain. Usually the best tactic is to refer to bus station information at your destination for listings of bus service providers and schedules.

ALSA is a major bus carrier with service to Madrid.
http://www.alsa.es/en/

Avanza bus is a major bus carrier with service to Madrid.
http://www.avanzabus.com/web/default.aspx

2009 Madrid Bus Stations

There are several bus stations in Madrid. I've listed four. There likely are other stations that I'm not aware of at time of writing.

There is a bus station at Madrid Airport T4. See Transport and Access tabs.
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid
http://www.estacionautobusesmadrid.com/frameset.html

Intercambiador de Avenida de America
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercambiador_de_Avenida_de_América

Moncloa
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estación_de_Moncloa

2010 Madrid Airport Access to Bus Station T4

There is a bus station at T4 Barajas Airport. A shuttle connects T1-T2-T3 with T4.

2011 Madrid Airport to bus station Avenida de America

Intercambiador de Avenida de America (Madrid) is co-located with the Metro. Take line 8 from Barajas airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Colombia; and, line 9 to Avenida de America.

2012 Madrid Airport to Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid

Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid is located near the Méndez Álvaro Metro Station. Take line 8 from Barajas airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Colombia; line 9 to Avenida de America; and, line 6 to Méndez Álvaro. Exit the Metro to find the bus station.

2013 Madrid Airport to bus station Moncloa

Madrid Moncloa is co-located with the Metro. Take line 8 from Barajas airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevo Ministerios; and, line 6 to Moncloa.

I'm in the middle of planning my second Camino (maybe flying out of the US on May 27th). I've decided that instead of flying in to Dublin and taking a flight to Biarritz/Bayonne I would fly to Madrid instead.

I have flown into and out of Madrid and used both the bus and train to connect. My experience with the airport was very positive, it's small compared to the likes of Paris or Chicago and the bus service was both inexpensive and easy to find.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Much thanks for the replies and information. I think if possible I will stay overnight in Pamplona and stay at http://www.corazonpuro.es/AlbergueEng.html
Sounds like a pretty good deal and I'm sure I will be more than happy to hit the rack there by the time I arrive in Pamplona after flying in from the states.

Much thanks for the replies and information. I think if possible I will stay overnight in Pamplona and stay at http://www.corazonpuro.es/AlbergueEng.html
Sounds like a pretty good deal and I'm sure I will be more than happy to hit the rack there by the time I arrive in Pamplona after flying in from the states.

Buses go from Pamplona 1730 17 March - September 2014 and 1430 1 June - September 30 2014. If you can catch the bus then its probably best to go on to SJPdP. Else you spend all day waiting for the next bus.

Buses go from Pamplona 1730 17 March - September 2014 and 1430 1 June - September 30 2014. If you can catch the bus then its probably best to go on to SJPdP. Else you spend all day waiting for the next bus.

Don't I have to change buses to get to SJPP? One bus to Pamplona and a second one to SJPP?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Mark, I am staying at corazon puro and have heard it is delightful. I will be there June 13. I am also fling into Madrid and plan in taking the bus. Buen camino!

Mark, I am staying at corazon puro and have heard it is delightful. I will be there June 13. I am also fling into Madrid and plan in taking the bus. Buen camino!

Yeah it sounds like a pretty good deal. Especially the convenience of them driving you to SJPP the next morning. Sounds like it's worth the extra euros.

I'm in the middle of planning my second Camino (maybe flying out of the US on May 27th). I've decided that instead of flying in to Dublin and taking a flight to Biarritz/Bayonne I would fly to Madrid instead. The first time I did the Camino last summer I had flown in to Paris and taken the train down to SJPP. I decided this time I would rather fly in to Madrid as it seems easier and cheaper than Dublin or Paris.
Anyway, I know all this has been covered before but I mainly have one question. Is it difficult to get to the bus station in Madrid from the airport? I want to take a bus to Pamplona and go from there to SJPP.
What is the name of the bus station or is it in a terminal in the airport? I researched it a bit and I believe the buses leave to Pamplona at 0115, 1045, 1315, 1515, and 1945. If I get the flight I want to Madrid, I will be arriving before 9:00 am.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.
Mark,
Annie Santiago mentioned in one of these threads that there is a direct bus from the airport Terminal 4 to Pamplona, taking 5 to 6 hours. She provides detailed information about the airport, the T4 bus station, how to buy tickets, etc. on her site. She also mentions that the Alsa buses require a bus change while the Conda buses do not. It looks like you already have the bus schedule (and for anyone else who does not, it can be found on the Movelia site.)

I, too, have booked a stay at Corazon the night I arrive in Spain, which is about three weeks after your arrival. It sounds like a great way to get over jet lag and have transportation to SJPdP.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Don't I have to change buses to get to SJPP? One bus to Pamplona and a second one to SJPP?

The bus from Madrid to Pamplona is one ticket. Note there is usually a transfer at Soria or Zaragosa.

You do change buses to travel from Pamplona to SJPdP. Its not a connecting bus; its a separate ticket. The service provider is Conda. Conda is owned by ALSA. The schedule is found under international tab on ALSA website.

I posted this on another thread.
I know $$$ are an issue for some of you but for those of you who are doing the Corazon Puro route and want to relax early, check this out:
In Spain a round-trip airline ticket is less than a one way! You just throw away the return. Use www.iberia.com. It will include Iberia, Iberia Express and Air Nostrum. Also make sure you have at least 1 hour to 1:15 to get to the next flight assuming you have no baggage. These flights leave from another terminal. If by any chance you haven't booked your flight and have chosen Iberia or one of its partners, you can check any baggage through.
When choosing the "return" date check several dates at least a month or two out. Remember you can choose any return flight because you won't use it! You might find a maverick fare! If you're lucky it'll cost around 110 Euros and Corazon will pick you up at the airport.
Keep in mind that if your flight is late and you have a separate ticket, you lose!

Thanks "indyinmaine"!

Gave it a "dry-run" just to see how it works but, it was a bit confusing. Listed one price above the columns and another price for "basic" or "classic" etc.

It was about 70€ for one direction and 90€ for return ["basic"] flight. Still no explanation for the different price up above column.

Did not give me a 'secure feeling' about what I was doing. However, it's still a Great Idea! for the experienced pilgrim who knows more of the system there.

Thank you for the information!

Noah

Noah,
Use the basic prices unless you think you might have to change. You obviously have to choose the outbound flight you want on the day you want. But when you choose the return flight, that's what determines your final price. The prices are for each leg. Once you determine which flight you're going to use, just look for the cheapest throwaway flight back!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is probably a digital firma, which is signature. Twice I have had my ticket printout in hand for the bus to Pamplona from Madrid, so I don't know what change has occurred to create your difficulty. I do not recall if I used, PayPal, a credit card, or a debit card.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did the ALSA reservation site right up to the Pagar page and was offered Visa or PayPal options. Your previous efforts may have failed because you were reserving too early. The route I checked went through Soria. You will need your passport number and credit card/PayPal. I am pretty sure I used PayPal before.

September 10 from Barajas. All the buses now seem to connect through Soria or Zaragoza even from Madrid. The shortest trip time was through Soria.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am not going to buy a ticket:), but after the last screen, you will be able to print out a confirmation for your seat.

Dear Ark Builder,
As others have suggested, 'digital firm' probably means firma/signature, maybe like many people use with their emails?? And I personally wouldn't be happy to do that online. I travelled from Barajas by bus in 2011 (to Astorga), and it worked out smoothly. I think I paid ahead (via Movelia) with my Irish credit card, but perhaps their security has been tightened since then. Speaking from this side of the big pond, my 'foreign' credit card is rarely acceptable to US online companies, and that can be frustrating. But I really don't think you need to worry. Just get your ticket when you arrive at the row of bus stops outside Barajas T4, as the Alsa-at-Barajas T4 website invites you to do. Other waiting passengers will help you at the automatic machine. (You will have been able to get a supply of euro-note at an ATM inside the airport beforehand, if the machine accepts 'real money'.)
I'd recommend you try not to tie everything down with bookings and confirmed seats ahead of time. Just let things happen. (speaking hypocritically, given my own plotting around the 2015 Easter date and flight possibilities, etc etc. I blame Google--it just offers us too much information.)
Have a wonderful camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As others have suggested, 'digital firm' probably means firma/signature, maybe like many people use with their emails?? And I personally wouldn't be happy to do that online.
An advantage of PayPal is that only PayPal gets your password. Credit cards probably have the same security. Avoid giving a password directly to ALSA.

So, you have to hope they know you have paid for the ride because you have no ALSA receipt.

The driver had a list, and did not use my printout for anything more than understanding my incomprehensible German name!

I went to the last PayPal screen which would have caused a purchase, and it is working fine! Sorry, but I don't want a ticket on September 10...:)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Previous purchase:

Message Body

To:
Sent:
Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:23 PM
Subject: Receipt for Your Payment to SERVICIOS DEL PRINCIPADO S.A.

paypal_logo.gif
Jul. 27, 2011 10:23:20 PDT
Transaction ID: 9JV***
Hello ***,

You have sent a payment of €24.16 EUR to SERVICIOS DEL PRINCIPADO S.A. (alsa@alsa.es)

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.
Merchant
SERVICIOS DEL PRINCIPADO S.A.
alsa@alsa.es
+34 913270540Instructions to merchant
You haven't entered any instructions.
DescriptionUnit priceQtyAmount
€24.16 EUR1€24.16 EUR
Subtotal€24.16 EUR
Total€24.16 EUR
Payment€24.16 EUR
Charge will appear on your credit card statement as "PAYPAL *ALSA GRUPO"
Payment sent to alsa@alsa.es
From amount$35.89 USD
To amount€24.16 EUR
Exchange rate: 1 USD = 0.673168 EUR

Issues with this transaction?
You have 45 days from the date of the transaction to open a dispute in the Resolution Center.

icon_help_16x16.gif
Questions? Go to the Help Center at: www.paypal.es/help.

FOR INTERNATIONAL PAYMENTS ONLY

Commissions and Fees incurred by sender: $0.00

Rate of Exchange: The above exchange rate includes a 2.5% spread above the wholesale exchange rate at which PayPal obtains foreign currency, and the spread is retained by PayPal. If and when the Recipient chooses to withdraw these funds from the PayPal System, and if the withdrawal involves a currency conversion, the Recipient will convert the funds at the applicable currency exchange rate at the time of the withdrawal, and the Recipient may incur a withdrawal fee.

RIGHT TO REFUND
You, the customer, are entitled to a refund of the money to be transmitted as a result of this agreement if PayPal does not forward the money received from you within 5 days of the date of its receipt, or does not give instructions committing an equivalent amount of money to the person designated by you within 5 days of the date of the receipt of the funds from you unless otherwise instructed by you.

If your instructions as to when the money shall be forwarded or transmitted are not complied with, and the money has not yet been forwarded or transmitted, you have a right to a refund of your money.

If you want a refund, you must mail or deliver your written request to PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A. - Société en Commandite par Actions, Registered Office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal, L-2449, Luxembourg, RCS Luxembourg B 118 349.

Important Note: The Right to Refund claim process applies only to payments that have not been successfully transmitted to the recipient. With PayPal, almost all payments are transmitted to the recipient immediately, except for eCheck payments, and payments to non-PayPal members.

Please do not file a Right to Refund claim if your payment has already been completed. If you have problems with a completed payment or need assistance settling a dispute with a seller, log in to your account and click Resolution Center at the top of the page.

You can also click Help at the top right of any PayPal page for more information about the Resolution Center and filing complaints.

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click Help in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

You can choose to receive plain text emails instead of HTML emails. To change your Notifications preferences, log in to your PayPal account at www.paypal.es, go to your Profile, and click Account options.

Copyright © 1999-2011 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
Société en Commandite par Actions
Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PayPal Email ID

I have an UPDATE on www.Movelia.es …. Received an email back from them and it stated briefly:

"To purchase through www.movelia.es with a foreign credit card, you need a
digital firm of your credit card

Regards
MOVELIA TECNOLOGIAS SL
SERVICIO DE ATENCION AL CLIENTE
902 64 64 28"

Still trying to find out from them what a "digital firm" is.

This is why there are so many folks are on TripAdvisor complaining that they can not book a seat on ALSA.

Hope this helps someone. Will provide another update when I hear back from them what a "digital firm" happens to be.

Noah

Spanish Firma Digital - translates to - Digital Signature.

I have seen people armed with a smart card reader that connects to their computer. The card reader recognizes the encrypted smart card key ... same as the chip reader used for debit card purchases. Ask your bank if your card is a 'smart card'. Then you have to figure out how to get a card reader ... though your bank should have some idea.

I am guessing at this ... I don't have personal experience of this type of problem.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you "TheTravelingPen"! [ Do you have a shorter name? ha ha ]

I just completed the sale! Yay!

Now you tell me! LOL. [ just kidding! ]

PayPal, as Falcon269 so wisely suggested, "finally paid off" [ excuse the pun. ] and I now have a printed ticket.

Yep. A beautiful beautiful ticket. Wow. Never thought this was going to happen.

Thank you Falcon269!!

Thank you TTP!

¡Buen Camino! [ no more fretting….. just buen camino for me - no more planning that is. ]

PS: I also "Travel Tagged" my credit cards through my CC provider. Will double check this in a month or so.

Don't forget to do this pilgrims. Your credit cards may get cancelled while you're on Camino if you don't do this.

you can call me Rosanne ;-) glad you got it right!

Good heavens--all this for one little bus ticket!!!?? But very glad you succeeded, as that was so important to you! (and Falcon has the answer for almost everything--I'd love to know how Falcon does that!!!
Anyway, I certainly did mean 'hypocritically', since I plan my own recidivist caminos over-much--and I pray they won't be hypothetical for a few years yet!
All the best,
Silverton/Mary

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm sure I've seen buses besides ALSA that go from the Madrid airport to Pamplona?
Anybody have information on those?

I'm sure I've seen buses besides ALSA that go from the Madrid airport to Pamplona?
Anybody have information on those?

The 'rutas' webpage for Pamplona Bus Station provides a list of bus companies and routes they serve.

Note ALSA is not on the list, however Conda, a subsidiary of ALSA is on the list.

Information about Conda and PLM indicate bus service from Madrid to Pamplona, however, the PLM site states only that it picks up at Avenida de America.

Aena website for Madrid Airport indicates three bus companies making pick ups at the Airport of which only ALSA is indicated as traveling to Pamplona.

ALSA owns at least one other bus company and is in turn owned by National Express. Its entirely possible the bus doesn't indicate ALSA but it is likely operating on an ALSA schedule. There have been other reports of buses with Conda colors picking up at the airport ... which would make sense. I don't know but have the impression there are reasons of autonomous community political interests requiring that Conda (COMPAÑÍA NAVARRA DE AUTOBUSES) continues as a brand.

Estacion de Autobuses Pamplona
http://www.estaciondeautobusesdepamplona.com/Rutas.aspx

Madrid Airport Long Distance Coaches
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/A...ong-distance-coaches.html?other=1237554327072

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back