• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to Pamplona

Sansthing

Time of past OR future Camino
French Camino (2009), French Camino (2011), Via de la Plata (2012), Camino Inglês (2014),
I was wondering if anyone has done this by train? Last time I took a bus but found the journey rather long as I had jetlag.I believe there is a bus service from the airport to a rail station now. Is there more than one rail station in Madrid for Pamplona? Also is the train direct or do you have to change somewhere? I know the RENFE site is supposed to be a bit of a nightmare but I´m willing to give it a go. Unfortunately while I am entitled to the over 60 discount it appears you can only get your discount card at a station, so I can´t get one until I am in Spain... a question of the cart before the horse!
Anyway, if any of you good folks can help me out with some info it will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Sandra :arrow:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am flying Iberia from Madrid to Pamplona in March.
You might want to check that out as it will take you there much faster (?) :)

Thanks for your suggestion. I had looked into that option, but after my Camino and before returning home to Brazil I am planning a quick visit to England which will be easier from Madrid rather than Pamplona.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a Renfe office in the airport. It is on the lower level, just to the right when you exit customs. They can sell you a ticket there. Then you can take the Metro to Chamartin.

Ryanair flies from Santiago to Stanstead. You could fly there and then back to Madrid.

hello sansthing,
The train Madrid-Pamplona departs from Atocha-Renfe station, reachable via metro from the airport with a few transfers in about 45 minutes, faster than the bus ride. I've taken this train before and will probably do it again this year. If you need directions for the metro, pls let me know.

The ride to Pamplona takes roughly 3 hrs, costs 58,30 E and departs at 10:35, 15:05 and 18:35. Two trains on Sundays 10:35, 15:05. There's a ,50 c discount for online purchases.

Aside from the price advantage versus air flights, it's a relaxed ride with a few stops on the way so you get time to rest and recover.

Buen camino, whichever way you do it!

And don't forget that if you want to skip the metro and its several changes from Barajas to Atocha, there is a new "Airport Express" mentioned on other threads here that stops in Plaza Colon, Cibeles (I think), and then Atocha. May be a little longer, but it would be much more relaxing, in my opinion.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for all your suggestions, which I have been weighing up. It now appears that there is an ALSA bus from Madrid airport to Pamplona which would save a lot of hassle even if it takes longer than the train, and it is also half the price!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back