• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to Pamplona?

dreamcatcher

HI

I am landing in the airport of Madrid next week. I hope to take a bus or a train to Pamplona. I have been told, "DON'T TAKE TAXIS IN MADRID--they will cheat you" (this by my Madrid Spanish teacher).

Is there a train / underground / subway to the bus or train station from the airport? Thanks.

Dreamcatcher

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's an interesting question. I land in Madrid the 13th, I look forward to a reply!

Adam

dreamcatcher said:
HI

I am landing in the airport of Madrid next week. I hope to take a bus or a train to Pamplona. I have been told, "DON'T TAKE TAXIS IN MADRID--they will cheat you" (this by my Madrid Spanish teacher).

Is there a train / underground / subway to the bus or train station from the airport? Thanks.

Dreamcatcher

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Pilgrims,

Same question...how to get from the airport to the train station?

I found some train faires from Puerta de Atocha to Pamplona - Tren Altaria, but don't know where it is?? :?:

Thanks all,

Linda

There is a choice of metro or bus from Barajas airport into Madrid. The metro involves a change to get to Atocha station where you catch the Pamplona train. Don't know what time you're arriving but think there are only two trains per day. If you want to connect with the bus to Roncesvalles, then you will need to get a train about 7.30am. Atocha station is in the city.

An alternative is the bus. Takes about the same time as the train, but several more runs per day, and departs from the Avenida de America bus station. A bus from the airport (see frescotours link), goes directly to the bus station. Bus tickets for Madrid to Pamplona can be booked in advance at http://www.movelia.es

While I prefer train travel, I found the bus was a better option in getting to Pamplona. Spanish buses are extremely comfortable, and catching the bus gave me a couple of hours to look around the Pamplona before returning to the bus station for the 6pm bus to Roncesvalles.

BTW I've taken the taxi from Barajas airport to the city, and wasn't ripped off! It costs between 25 and 30 euros depending on the time of day.

ok so the way i've planned my trip (in my head) thus far is:

An overnight stay in Madrid (my plane gets in at 6.30pm and the last bus to Pamplona is at 7.30pm)
Bus to Pamplona first thing in the morning
Taxi from Pamplona to Roncesvalles (UNLESS there is a bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles - if there is what company is the bus with so I can take a look at time tables).

If that's the way I go I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a good hostel or hotel near the bus station (Avda America) for my few hours in madrid?

Cheers in advance!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,

http://www.iberia.es offers flights Madrid to Pamplona for 51 EUR. Takes about an hour, several flights daily.

Also, beginning March 25th (if my memory serves me correct), Spanair ( http://www.spanair.com ) will start operating the same route and they are offering pricess under 40 EUR (including taxes, 7 (!!) EUR excluding taxes :)

Thanks for the info Mika, although i was really hoping to go by bus rather than by air! but maybe air will be a better option.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
hi ivar, thank you! you really are a godsend. this will save a lot of time and money and means i can start the walk asap rather than spending two days in transit!

much love!

ok this might be a bit of a silly question but, is there just the one airport in madrid. ie does the iberia flights mentioned above leave from the same airport that ryanair flys into?

thanks in advance

Hi again,

Yes there is just one airport, but it has now become rather large... Iberia uses Terminal 4, RyanAir Terminal 1 (or 2). Terminal 1 and 2 are the old terminals, maybe a 10 minute walk between them.

Terminal 4 is about a 15-20 minute busride from terminal 1 and 2. Add some more minutes for walking to the bus, getting into the bus and waiting for it to leave... So make sure you have enough time to change from terminal 4 to 1 or 2.

More info on the Madrid ariport here.

Buen camino,
Ivar

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
i keep changing my mind about the best way to get from madrid to pamplona - bus, air, bus, air.

thanks for all your help and patience ivar.

Thank you Ivar, Trudy et all!

Dear Gang,

I have decided to take the bus rather than the train due to more time options (thank you Trudy), and air travel to Pamplona not available until after I have arrived.

My question, having just searched the Movelia web site, is it advisable to book the bus ticket from Madrid to Palmplona ahead of time? I arrive in Madrid at 0830 am. I think I should be able to bet to the bus station in time for the 1030 bus to Pamplona, but is there a chance that it will be full in March?

Thank you for your kind assistance,

Linda :roll:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Re: oops

Linda C. Welsh said:
Ooops, I see I can flly. Looked up Iberia. Thanks Mika. Will bus though - see more countryside. :D

You're welcome :)

Personally, I wouldn't think twice between sitting x hours on a bus and one hour on a plane - especially since they are in the same price range. You'll be seeing lotsa countryside when walking. :)

In 2005, I flew to Pamplona and that's what I'll be doing this spring, too. Hope the taxis are not on strike this time. :) The plane from Barcelona to Pamplona was a small propeller plane (nice) and they served some really nice tapas on the plane - for free, of course. :)

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back