• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to Pamplona

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
Hello everyone! I did a rome2rio search for getting a train from the Madrid airport to the Atocha Cercanias Renfe station and that seems pretty easy, but has anyone had any actual boots-on-the-ground experience with finding the Aeropuerto T4 station to catch the train to Atocha Cercanias? I mean along the lines of, "From the arrival gate, go to concourse B, etc?" I can probably download a MAD map, but if anyone has actually taken that train (and I'm sure someone has!), can you tell me precisely how to get to the train station at MAD to go to Atocha Cercanias? I don't want to spend any more time in Madrid than absolutely necessary. I plan to get to Pamplona as early as possible and don't want to waste any time getting lost in the airport or missing trains. Thanks for any help!

Warmly,

Barry

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get off your ‘plane, follow everyone else to reclaim, passport control and arrivals. If you’re landing at t4 follow the cercianas signs, if not follow the bus signs 😉. Precise directions won’t help - its an airport stuff changes all the time. Allow minimum two hours from your scheduled landing time to Atocha ( yes it can be done in one hour but don’t plan on possibilities). If you get to Atocha early you’ll have proved it can be done faster. Its only a short walk from Atocha Cercianas to the platforms for North bound trains.
Happy planning

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Here is a link that may help you. Scroll down and there is a photo.

Leave baggage claim and go to the right (right if you were leaving the airport building but you are not leaving) , you should see what is in the photo. For the train to Atocha you may see signs that say "ferrocarril" or the red C for Cercanias. There are ticket machines near the signs as well as an office or desk with someone who can help you.

@barryg , a bit of explanation: Madrid has two main train stations, the Spanish trains are run by Renfe. Cercanias is a commuter train network in the greater Madrid area, with trains that stop at the airport and each of the two main stations. The Atocha station from which you will go to Pamplona is about a half hour ride from the airport. @Anniesantiago is right in that you can get a bus just outside T4 to take you to Pamplona. Check prices and schedules to decide which will work better for you. I took the train because after a long transatlantic flight I was willing to spend a little extra for the train so that I could move around and have access to a bathroom. Be aware that it can be a little tricky getting around the Atocha station. Enjoy the adventure!!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Depending when you arrive in Madrid you could fly to Pamplona for just a few dollars more than the train. I am staying a few days in Madrid to rest up from my flight. I am arriving in Madrid on October 26 and taking a flight on Iberia from T4 on Monday October 28th. I think my flight cost $41US. I am leaving at 815AM. Even though I booked the flight on the Iberia website, you fly Air Nostrum which I believe is Iberia's domestic airline. The flight takes about an hour. If I remember there were 3 flights to Pamplona a day. I took the early one so I can catch the bus to St. Jean in the afternoon. If the prices and times work for you it could be a good alternative.

Your post is entitled Madrid to Pamplona.
Is there some reason you don't just walk off the plane to the front of T4 and get the bus to Pamplona?
Easy peasy and just as fast.

Didn't know I could, but now I do. I remember my last trip on a bus from Santiago to Portugal and it was horrendous! I would rather take the train or fly than go through that again. Personal space was almost zero and the passenger in front of me reclined her seat and I could barely move or breath. Then the bus broke down for 3 hours. It was probably one of those just-unlucky-circumstances-but-I-will-remember-it-forever sort of things, so you're probably right. Thanks for your post!

If I remember there were 3 flights to Pamplona a day. I took the early one so I can catch the bus to St. Jean in the afternoon. If the prices and times work for you it could be a good alternative.
Pamplona's street bus (the A line) has nearly direct service from the airport to the bus station (only two intermediate stops). It leaves once an hour on the hour and takes about 16 minutes. Line A also goes from the train station to the bus station (again two intermediate stops). Every hour on the half hour taking about 19 minutes. https://infotuc.es/index.php/es/horarios-y-recorridos/linea/A

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for all your replies. I'm leaning toward flying. I love the train, but I'm itching to get into Pamplona early, and as I said, the bus ride I remember--as a tall person--was very uncomfortable, although it's probably only about 3 hours as opposed to the 8 hour trip to Portugal.

Pamplona's street bus (the A line) has nearly direct service from the airport to the bus station (only two intermediate stops). It leaves once an hour on the hour and takes about 16 minutes. Line A also goes from the train station to the bus station (again two intermediate stops). Every hour on the half hour taking about 19 minutes. https://infotuc.es/index.php/es/horarios-y-recorridos/linea/A
For some reason I can't get this page to open but I know Google Maps have schedules. I am going to go to Decathalon as soon as I land to buy some poles and get a knife. Google maps said it would take about 30 minutes. My Spanish is good enough to get on the right bus. I hope!!!!! Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Didn't know I could, but now I do. I remember my last trip on a bus from Santiago to Portugal and it was horrendous! I would rather take the train or fly than go through that again. Personal space was almost zero and the passenger in front of me reclined her seat and I could barely move or breath. Then the bus broke down for 3 hours. It was probably one of those just-unlucky-circumstances-but-I-will-remember-it-forever sort of things, so you're probably right. Thanks for your post!

Spanish buses are a LOT different from Portuguese buses (and I'm Portuguese!) They are Mercedes Benz buses with HUGE comfie seats, clean as a whistle, large viewing windows, and no bad seats. I have used the bus from Madrid to Pamplona almost every year for over 10 years. Love Spanish buses! And very convenient.

Is there some reason you don't just walk off the plane to the front of T4 and get the bus to Pamplona?

When I do a Rome2Rio search, it tells me this bus is PLM Autocares. Is that the bus that leaves from T4?

No, go to the Alsa site. That is the company that leaves from T4.

Edit: On this thread I have learned a few things! I have taken the Alsa bus from T4 to Burgos, no problem, no stops and I will do it again in September. But to go to Pamplona from T4 there is a stop and change. Thus the Conda bus is the best choice for a no change bus to Pamplona. On Post #19 of this thread @Anniesantiago shows us the movelia.es website which is a wonderful discovery for me. Thank you Annie!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm also considering flying from Madrid to Pamplona. Can I make the bus connection in Pamplona? Flight would arrive 13:10 and bus leaves 14:30. Assume would have to take a taxi. Do I check luggage on this flight? If not I'll need to obtain a new knife, etc. .... Any input is appreciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I do a Rome2Rio search, it tells me this bus is PLM Autocares. Is that the bus that leaves from T4?

Personally, I don't care for Rome2Rio, but that's me.

I never ever buy my tickets ahead of time.
I just purchase them at the airport.
It's cheaper and I've never had an issue getting a seat.
I usually try to arrive in Madrid early morning. That way I can sleep on the way and have lots of bus options.

The website for checking bus times is www.movelia.es
It is in Spanish but you can figure it out.
I just did a search for July 15, 2019 and this is what I found.
These are the buses running that day.

To see the buses, see my old blog post (some of the info may be out of date, but still helpful) at
Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.50.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.50.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.50.06 PM.png

I'm also considering flying from Madrid to Pamplona. Can I make the bus connection in Pamplona? Flight would arrive 13:10 and bus leaves 14:30. Assume would have to take a taxi. Do I check luggage on this flight? If not I'll need to obtain a new knife, etc. .... Any input is appreciated.
There is another bus at 17:30 so it boils down to whether you want to spend the cab fare to spend three hours in SJ or the bus fare to spend three hours wandering in Pamplona. Also the line A bus is scheduled to get to the bus station at 14:16 if I remember the schedule correctly. You could make the connection but you are not far from interesting sites if you don't. Buy your 17:30 ticket first though.

@Anniesantiago, A question for you, I have been looking at some bus tickets between Astorga and SdC that appear to have a 15 minute stop in Ponferrada. Can I assume that it allows one a quick bathroom break?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's what we did. Walked out front at T4 and there, viola, were the buses. Yes, it is that simple.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@barryg , a bit of explanation: Madrid has two main train stations, the Spanish trains are run by Renfe. Cercanias is a commuter train network in the greater Madrid area, with trains that stop at the airport and each of the two main stations. The Atocha station from which you will go to Pamplona is about a half hour ride from the airport. @Anniesantiago is right in that you can get a bus just outside T4 to take you to Pamplona. Check prices and schedules to decide which will work better for you. I took the train because after a long transatlantic flight I was willing to spend a little extra for the train so that I could move around and have access to a bathroom. Be aware that it can be a little tricky getting around the Atocha station. Enjoy the adventure!!

Thanks for you post! I've decided to take the bus, because it is, er, easy peasy.

Another poster said that their is a stop and change on the bus from MAD to Pamplona. Do you know about that. And do you know where I should get off in Pamplona to make the connection to the SJPDP bus? Estacion de Autobuses Pamplona, perhaps?? I don't get any answer to my emails to Alsa. The other poster said Conda was a better choice. What do you think? BTW thanks for your original reply.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Another poster said that their is a stop and change on the bus from MAD to Pamplona. Do you know about that. And do you know where I should get off in Pamplona to make the connection to the SJPDP bus? Estacion de Autobuses Pamplona, perhaps?? I don't get any answer to my emails to Alsa. The other poster said Conda was a better choice. What do you think? BTW thanks for your original reply.
ALSA, a national and international carrier, is part owner of CONDA, a Navarra carrier that runs the bus to SJPdP. You can buy the CONDA tickets on the ALSA website or at the station. The bus from Madrid stops at the station in Pamplona where you get the bus to SJPdP. The station is at the corner of a park and is mostly underground with a modern glass structure on top serving as its entrance.

Yes, it is Estacion de Autobuses Pamplona. Inside, the ticket offices for the various bus lines may have different hours. Also they may be shut down for lunch/siesta at different times and for different length of times.

The website for the bus station is: http://www.estaciondeautobusesdepamplona.com/es

This may be a more useful page for the traveller: http://www.estaciondeautobusesdepamplona.com/Atencion-al-viajero.aspx

A picture of the station is at http://www.estaciondeautobusesdepamplona.com/Imagenes/cabecera_dia.jpg

Last edited:
Does the bus from Pamplona to SJPDP arrive at Gare de Saint Jean Pied de Port? I am trying to find lodging near to where I arrive in SJPDP, as I am arriving late & I think the municipal hostel will be full or closed

I don't remember where in town you are dropped off but it doesn't really matter as it cannot be more than a 5 or 10 minute walk from wherever to the center of town. The last bus leaves Pamplona at 17:30 and the trip is less than 3 hours. You have time. Go to the Pilgrims Office and they will help you find lodging if you haven't booked something beforehand. You seem to me to be anxious about this trip. Prebooking may be helpful for you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

The bus from Madrid will leave you at Estacion de Autobuses.
I have always spent one or two nights in Pamplona. See the city, rest from the trip, then on your way BACK through, you can walk straight through Pamplona and go a bit further, making your day over the Perdon Hill a bit easier.

Any of the buses are fine, though if you look at the schedule I posted, Conda has the most buses going, and they're great in my opinion.

On some buses, there is a change, but it is simple and they are so used to pilgrims that they will help you, telling you where to catch the next bus. Honest, it's easy - even if you don't speak Spanish. With so many pilgrims walking, they are used to pilgrims and are very helpful.

Just go.. if you haven't made your reservations to Madrid yet, try to arrive early morning. That way you will have plenty of options in case the first buses are full (I've never gotten there to find a full bus) - don't worry about making reservations ahead of time. Just go and the Camino will provide. Have faith. Don't worry. Just go. When you arrive in Madrid, if you aren't sure of yourself, ask one of the people in Kelly green (see my blog post). You'll be fine :)

PS: Again, you can check the schedule of buses at www.movelia.es
Just put in the info for the date you are GOING (don't use their calendar) and you'll see all the buses. If you need help doing that, PM me.

On arrival in Pamplona, (the bus station is underground), we met other perigrinos (6) and we hired a taxi (mini van for 100 euros) to SJPDP and split the cost. Not sure what time you will be there, but that was an option. Of course you can purchase tickets (ALSA) at that bus terminal, as you step off the bus. Keep us posted on how all this turns out. Good luck and Buen Camino my friend!

Get off your ‘plane, follow everyone else to reclaim, passport control and arrivals. If you’re landing at t4 follow the cercianas signs, if not follow the bus signs 😉. Precise directions won’t help - its an airport stuff changes all the time. Allow minimum two hours from your scheduled landing time to Atocha ( yes it can be done in one hour but don’t plan on possibilities). If you get to Atocha early you’ll have proved it can be done faster. Its only a short walk from Atocha Cercianas to the platforms for North bound trains.
Happy planning

When you say Atocha, do you mean Puerta de Atocha? I had to enter Madrid (Todas) into the Renfe search engine to make it show me trains to Pamplona. Otherwise it said no trains available.

If I do a Rome2Rio search, it shows a train from Madrid-Barajas to Puerta Atocha leaving every 30 minutes, but when I check the details, it says Madrid Cercianas (Renfe), so is this a bus line operated by Renfe or is there an actual train that goes to Atocha? I'm just a bit confused. I have only a beginner, low intermediate command of spanish, and last time I traveled from Barcelona to Pamplona, I almost missed my train by not understanding the gates, etc.. I hate being so presumptuous, but if you can clarify this, I'd really appreciate it.

Happy planning

Happy planning

Also, do you know how far it is from the Renfe station in Pamplona to the Estacion de Autobuses. I am trying to catch the last bus out to SJPDP and am nervous as hell about missing it.

Make it easy on yourself forget the train take the bus. When you get to Pamplona you will be right where you’ll need to be. I bused last year the schudule said 1transfer in Soria, but that wasn’t the case and it took much less time than posted. Also its a big comfy bus with a toilet! Buen Camino!

Also, do you know how far it is from the Renfe station in Pamplona to the Estacion de Autobuses. I am trying to catch the last bus out to SJPDP and am nervous as hell about missing it.
Getting to the bus station
If you do not arrive in Pamplona by bus you can take taxis to the bus station. But Pamplona has a good street bus system with an excellent website (although the site can be a bit slow.) The website is in Spanish and Euskara (Basque) only. The Spanish version of the website can be accessed via URL http://www.infotuc.es/index.php/es/

2.3.1 From arrival at the train station

When you say Atocha, do you mean Puerta de Atocha? I had to enter Madrid (Todas) into the Renfe search engine to make it show me trains to Pamplona. Otherwise it said no trains available.

If I do a Rome2Rio search, it shows a train from Madrid-Barajas to Puerta Atocha leaving every 30 minutes, but when I check the details, it says Madrid Cercianas (Renfe), so is this a bus line operated by Renfe or is there an actual train that goes to Atocha? I'm just a bit confused. I have only a beginner, low intermediate command of spanish, and last time I traveled from Barcelona to Pamplona, I almost missed my train by not understanding the gates, etc.. I hate being so presumptuous, but if you can clarify this, I'd really appreciate it.
Hi, Camino is scary isn't it. You might do better by using RENFE's English Language pages https://venta.renfe.com/vol/home.do?c=_rMO9 If this link doesn't work just search RENFE in your favourite engine & click on "welcome" at the top of the screen. A search for trains from Puerta de Atocha to Pamplona/Iruna should get you all the results you need. Please note that on RENFE you often need to know or guess where the train is starting/terminating to perform a successful search. Es normal.

Cercanias is the urban train network; not buses & not the Metro which involves changing trains and platforms. Trains run from T4 to (Puerto de) Atocha and Chamartin. The major rail stations in Madrid.

As to your second question - Google Maps has a 30 - 40 minute walk. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ren...83c25e4ca401!2m2!1d-1.645415!2d42.8116257!3e2 5 to 10 minutes in a taxi probably. But @Caligal's suggestion - get the bus - is worth considering. PLM Autocares have a bus direct from Barajas T4 at 12:15 but that might not fit your flight times.

And I think I have a question for you, along the lines of: why are you trying to get to a small provincial French town in the foothills of the Pyrenees to start your Camino when you could be starting from one of the great cities of Spanish/Basque culture? The Camino does not start in St Jean Pied de la Porte. It starts when you start walking ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am not really up on current conditions on the bus routes, but I remember how it went when I first walked the camino (2015). I bought my ticket online from the Alsa app which I had downloaded and printed a copy for the driver before I left home (just in case). At the airport,I walked to the exit of Terminal 4 and out front to the bus, got on, changed to the bus parked next to mine in Soria (with time for a proper bathroom break), and noticed that the bus that I was getting on had a sign on the front which said, St Jean pied de Port. I had arranged to get picked up in Pamplona, so this did me no good, but I am wondering if this is still a possibility. I was told at the time that the bus connection to SJpdP was put on for summer travelers.

Depending when you arrive in Madrid you could fly to Pamplona for just a few dollars more than the train. I am staying a few days in Madrid to rest up from my flight. I am arriving in Madrid on October 26 and taking a flight on Iberia from T4 on Monday October 28th. I think my flight cost $41US. I am leaving at 815AM. Even though I booked the flight on the Iberia website, you fly Air Nostrum which I believe is Iberia's domestic airline. The flight takes about an hour. If I remember there were 3 flights to Pamplona a day. I took the early one so I can catch the bus to St. Jean in the afternoon. If the prices and times work for you it could be a good alternative.

For some reason, the morning flight to Pamplona is $45/person & the afternoon flight is $212 (Euros, that is, can’t find the euro symbol)!!

Hi, Camino is scary isn't it. You might do better by using RENFE's English Language pages https://venta.renfe.com/vol/home.do?c=_rMO9 If this link doesn't work just search RENFE in your favourite engine & click on "welcome" at the top of the screen. A search for trains from Puerta de Atocha to Pamplona/Iruna should get you all the results you need. Please note that on RENFE you often need to know or guess where the train is starting/terminating to perform a successful search. Es normal.

Cercanias is the urban train network; not buses & not the Metro which involves changing trains and platforms. Trains run from T4 to (Puerto de) Atocha and Chamartin. The major rail stations in Madrid.

As to your second question - Google Maps has a 30 - 40 minute walk. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Renfe+Pamplona,+Plaza+de+la+Estación,+s/n,+31012+Pamplona,+Navarra,+Spain/Estación+de+Autobuses+de+Pamplona,+Pamplona,+Spain/@42.8185257,-1.6622166,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0xd509291870e07df:0xa154ba7ce5e93e22!2m2!1d-1.6614326!2d42.8249816!1m5!1m1!1s0xd509257e9f23ae9:0x60ba83c25e4ca401!2m2!1d-1.645415!2d42.8116257!3e2 5 to 10 minutes in a taxi probably. But @Caligal's suggestion - get the bus - is worth considering. PLM Autocares have a bus direct from Barajas T4 at 12:15 but that might not fit your flight times.

And I think I have a question for you, along the lines of: why are you trying to get to a small provincial French town in the foothills of the Pyrenees to start your Camino when you could be starting from one of the great cities of Spanish/Basque culture? The Camino does not start in St Jean Pied de la Porte. It starts when you start walking ;)

Did that last year from Pamplona. Loved it! My wife is going this year and insists on starting at the “beginning.” I agreed because she was nice enough to come with me. She is a physical fitness junkie & loves the idea of walking straight up.

Getting to the bus station
If you do not arrive in Pamplona by bus you can take taxis to the bus station. But Pamplona has a good street bus system with an excellent website (although the site can be a bit slow.) The website is in Spanish and Euskara (Basque) only. The Spanish version of the website can be accessed via URL http://www.infotuc.es/index.php/es/

2.3.1 From arrival at the train station

Thanks for that very detailed & informative reply!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For some reason, the morning flight to Pamplona is $45/person & the afternoon flight is $212 (Euros, that is, can’t find the euro symbol)!!
Why not simply relax one night in Madrid, and continue to Pamplona next morning? I strongly recommend Hostal La Perla Asturiana at 30 Euros/night (40 for 2 persons), 100 m. from Plaza Mayor! You'll find it on www.booking.com.

www.Rome2rio.com is a great help in finding (& booking) that last part to Pamplona.

I

Is there a ALSA kiosk or booth out front where I can buy tickets? Is it clearly marked where the ALSA bus leaves from? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve missed a bus because I was standing in the wrong place.

Why not simply relax one night in Madrid, and continue to Pamplona next morning? I strongly recommend Hostal La Perla Asturiana at 30 Euros/night, 100 m. from Plaza Mayor! You'll find it on www.booking.com.

www.Rome2rio.com is a great help in finding (& booking) that last part to Pamplona.

I’ll remember that recommendation should I miss the 10:45 ALSA bus for which I now have a pre-booked ticket because I got so paranoid about lodging in SJPDP that I also made a reservation for the same night I arrive at Le Chemin Vers L’Etoils. I get in at 7:55 and can only hope I clear customs in time to catch the 10:45 bus. But thanks for the recommendation. I may need it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I

Is there a ALSA kiosk or booth out front where I can buy tickets? Is it clearly marked where the ALSA bus leaves from? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve missed a bus because I was standing in the wrong place.
ALSA has an office in T4. It is not difficult to navigate T4. I ordered my bus ticket in advance: I wanted to secure a seat, just in case. Worked like a charm.

But, if you stay overnight in Madrid, you have all kinds of traveling options, including a flight, the next morning, as well as enjoying an evening in Madrid, and get some good sleep before continuing. But I don't know what country you are traveling from...

I’ll remember that recommendation should I miss the 10:45 ALSA bus for which I now have a pre-booked ticket because I got so paranoid about lodging in SJPDP that I also made a reservation for the same night I arrive at Le Chemin Vers L’Etoils. I get in at 7:55 and can only hope I clear customs in time to catch the 10:45 bus. But thanks for the recommendation. I may need it.
You should have plenty of time from your arrival to departure onwards, given the time of arrival & departure you have. You'll need to take the shuttle bus if you do not land at T4. It is free, and not so far, but necessary. But try to give yourself some slack. Again, I do not know from which country you are traveling: If overseas, I would have stayed the night in peace in Madrid :cool:

Last edited:
There is an Alsa kiosk, clearly marked, at the ground floor exit of Terminal 4. Take your ticket, go outside, cross the traffic lanes and look left to see a row of buses, with where they are going indicated in a sign on the front. If you see one that says "Soria" where you may have to change, ask the driver if this is the bus to take to get to Pamplona. If you say "Soria?" and "Pamplona?" with a lift in your voice that indicates that it is a question, you do not have to know any Spanish. It is sometimes a good idea, if it is shortly before the bus should leave and you don't see it, to ask every driver, as there may be no sign, or or it may not say what you expect. I have taken a bus from there twice, with no difficulty.

Barry if you end up flying to Pamplona the line A street bus leaves the airport every hour on the hour to bring you to the bus station. I think it stops at two places first.

You should have plenty of time from your arrival to departure onwards, given the time of arrival & departure you have. You'll need to take the shuttle bus if you do not land at T4. It is free, and not so far, but necessary. But try to give yourself some slack. Again, I do not know from which country you are traveling: If overseas, I would have stayed the night in peace in Madrid :cool:

USA. When I do a search for American Airlines, which is the carrier I am flying in on, it says the terminal is T4, P0. Is that the main floor on terminal 4? Isn't there also an automatic train that takes you between terminals?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
ALSA has an office in T4. It is not difficult to navigate T4. I ordered my bus ticket in advance: I wanted to secure a seat, just in case. Worked like a charm.

But, if you stay overnight in Madrid, you have all kinds of traveling options, including a flight, the next morning, as well as enjoying an evening in Madrid, and get some good sleep before continuing. But I don't know what country you are traveling from...

Yeah, long story. I originally made my reservation for August 14 to September 20th, more than enough time to complete the entire Camino, but when I went to make the reservation, I was presented with cheaper options for a flight, and without thinking, I chose September 18th. Add to that, that when I did the Camino in June of 2018, I left from Pamplona and had no trouble finding open Albergues all the way except from Saria on to SDC, where it was hard to find a room, but not impossible. Present day, when I look into SJPDP, I see I need to make reservations and that rooms are scarce. I was spoiled by the ease of my first trip!! My wife and I do have reserved seats on the Alsa bus at 10:45, August 14th. I left the bus trip from SJPDP open. If there are seats, fine, if not I will splurge and take a taxi, asking for share situations, providing there are taxis running that late (7:30)

There is an Alsa kiosk, clearly marked, at the ground floor exit of Terminal 4. Take your ticket, go outside, cross the traffic lanes and look left to see a row of buses, with where they are going indicated in a sign on the front. If you see one that says "Soria" where you may have to change, ask the driver if this is the bus to take to get to Pamplona. If you say "Soria?" and "Pamplona?" with a lift in your voice that indicates that it is a question, you do not have to know any Spanish. It is sometimes a good idea, if it is shortly before the bus should leave and you don't see it, to ask every driver, as there may be no sign, or or it may not say what you expect. I have taken a bus from there twice, with no difficulty.

Thanks for this post! I had a bad time leaving from SDC in June of 2018, trying to catch the bus to Portugal. I could not get a clear opinion from anyone which was the correct bus to take. It was suspenseful right up to the time I almost got on a bus to Porto (my destination was Lisbon, Portugal), but I kept frantically asking and finally go on the right bus.

I have a digital ticket. Would you recommend taking a print copy of the ticket, just in case I drop my phone in the toilet? I answered my own question. Thanks so much for your post.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Barry if you end up flying to Pamplona the line A street bus leaves the airport every hour on the hour to bring you to the bus station. I think it stops at two places first.

In researching this I found the following on the website: http://www.aena.es/en/pamplona-airport/public-transport.html From 1 August 2019 the Mancomunidad de la Comarca de Pamplona launches a public transport service from Paseo de Sarasate to Pamplona airport by taxi, with a fixed timetable and with advance booking. The new service replaces the regular Urban Transport Line A Stations- Airport.

I'm not sure how one goes about making a booking as there's no indication how to on the website. I assume this means the bus will no longer be running??

In researching this I found the following on the website: http://www.aena.es/en/pamplona-airport/public-transport.html From 1 August 2019 the Mancomunidad de la Comarca de Pamplona launches a public transport service from Paseo de Sarasate to Pamplona airport by taxi, with a fixed timetable and with advance booking. The new service replaces the regular Urban Transport Line A Stations- Airport.

I'm not sure how one goes about making a booking as there's no indication how to on the website. I assume this means the bus will no longer be running??
Thank you for catching this @alipilgrim.

Looks to me that there wasn't enough traffic to justify a bus and they are going to use taxis instead (at less than an euro fare). At the bottom of the page above is a link to a PDF file. That has the detailed information you need. I was not able to copy the URL of the PDF but here is most of the text on the PDF.

Note: Paseo de Sarasate is a short walk from the bus station. It looks like the taxi will pass the station but not be able to stop there.

-------------

From 1 August 2019 the Mancomunidad de la Comarca de Pamplona launches a public transport service from Paseo de Sarasate to Pamplona airport by taxi, with a fixed timetable and with advance booking. The new service replaces the regular Urban Transport Line Stations-Airport.

SINGLE PRICE FOR THE TRIP 0,70 € PERSON / TRIP
» Children under 5 years of age can travel free of charge and must be accompanied by an adult.
» Payment must be made in cash.
» Bank notes larger than 20 euros are not accepted.

ADVANCE BOOKING
You must call to book the service in advance:
TRIP TO THE AIRPORT from 3 hours to 10 minutes before departure
TRIP FROM THE AIRPORT from 30 minutes to 10 minutes before departure
(+34) 948 23 23 00 / 948 35 13 35
Users will be asked to indicate:
» Collection point for the service: Sarasate or Airport
» Time of the service
» Number of users and whether any are travelling with a wheelchair
» Number and size of luggage (large or small items)
» Name of the person making the booking

TRIP TO THE AIRPORT SINGLE COLLECTION POINT Paseo de Sarasate, 1 (Taxi Rank)
TIMETABLE 05:30 / 07:30 / 08:30 / 09:30 / 10:30 / 11:30 / 12:30 / 13:30 / 14:30 / 15:30 / 16:30 / 17:30 / 18:30 / 19:30 / 20:30 / 21:30
DESTINATION POINT Airport (Taxi Rank)

TRIP FROM THE AIRPORT COLLECTION POINT Airport (Taxi Rank)
TIMETABLE 10:00 / 11:00 / 12:00 / 13:00 / 14:00 / 15:00 / 16:00 / 17:00 / 18:00 /19:00 / 20:00 / 21:00 / 22:00 / 23:00 / 24:00
DESTINATION POINT
Avenida de Zaragoza, 61 (between calles Río Cidacos and Río Urederra)
Avenida de Zaragoza, 1 (next to plaza Príncipe de Viana)
Paseo de Sarasate, 1 (Taxi Rank) Avenida de Zaragoza

I

You can buy the ticket directly from the bus driver.
They are not ALSA buses.
They are Conda buses.
Did you look at the schedule I posted?
Did you go to www.movelia.es ??

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I booked this months ago. Flight prices change a lot. I remember the afternoon flight was higher but not that much. It is just 4 dollars more for the 8:00AM flight. I took that flight to get in early enough to make the afternoon bus to SJPP.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back