• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to rabanal del camino

1fr

dream hiker
Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)3FMYTZQ8
I am going to start my walk on the Camino from Rabanal del Camino . Recommendations for
getting to Rabanal from Madrid ?

dream walker

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The bus from the Madrid airport to Astorga:
Origen Destino Salida Llegada DuraciĂłn Precio Ida Precio Ida y Vuelta dĂ­as
Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 Astorga 09:35 14:50 5h 15min 24.7€ 46.93€ 01/01/2007 31/12/2013 LMXJV
Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 Astorga 09:35 15:30 5h 55min 26.68€ 50.69€ 01/10/2012 31/12/2013 VS
Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 Astorga 13:45 18:00 4h 15min 33.97€ 64.54€ 01/09/2013 30/06/2014 supra LMXJVS
Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 Astorga 14:45 19:35 4h 50min 24.7€ 46.93€ 01/01/2007 31/12/2013 LMXJVSD
Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 Astorga 15:45 22:00 6h 15min 26.68€ 50.69€ 08/04/2013 31/12/2013 LMXJV
Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 Astorga 16:45 21:30 4h 45min 24.7€ 46.93€ 16/10/2012 31/12/2013 LMXJVS
Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 Astorga 23:59 04:15 4h 16min 24.7€ 46.93€ 16/09/2013 15/06/2014 LMXJVSD

I started in Astorga and it's a pretty easy trek, 17km or something and all reasonably flat. It only took 4hrs or so. You can get a credencial in Astorga too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I started in Astorga and it's a pretty easy trek, 17km or something and all reasonably flat. It only took 4hrs or so. You can get a credencial in Astorga too.
StuartM, may I ask how many days it took to get to Santiago de Compostela from Astorga? I will be flying into Madrid in May and will have 14 days total until my return to the states. Indecisive on my starting point, any thoughts? Kelly

I walked from Leon to Santiago in 14 days. I got a little older and walked Astorga to Santiago in 14 days. It all depends!!!

StuartM, may I ask how many days it took to get to Santiago de Compostela from Astorga? I will be flying into Madrid in May and will have 14 days total until my return to the states. Indecisive on my starting point, any thoughts? Kelly

I did it in 10 days. I did:

Astorga > Rabanal > Molinaseca > Villafranca > O Cebreiro > Triacastela > Sarria via Samos > Portomarin > San Xulian > Salceda > Santiago

Apart from San Xulian to Salceda I didn't think any of the days were overly taxing. I wouldn't stop in Sarria again, there are some nice little albergues just past it and a nice one on the road before it. I'd allowed myself an extra night at Monte de Gozo intending to reach SdC on day 11 but I got to Monte de Gozo and thought it was an incredibly depressing place (many people call it the concentration camp) so carried on straight into Santiago instead. I think this averages around 27km a day, some are longer, some are shorter but it's all manageable. I wasn't hurrying either, plenty of stops, beers, food, etc.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you! That helps tremendously!

As my journey nears, (4months, 2 weeks 1 day) I am getting so excited! But I've been reading about people who have been training since 2012! I am a waitress and therefore I walk for a living, so I'm wondering if I, too, should be training? Thanks, kelly

The more training now, the less you will need to do at the beginning of a camino. You can go without any training, but remember to take it easy at the beginning. You don't start training at the gym with the heaviest weights and maximum repetitions! The same applies on the pilgrimage. Build to "normal" days if have start without having trained.

Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The more training now, the less you will need to do at the beginning of a camino. You can go without any training, but remember to take it easy at the beginning. You don't start training at the gym with the heaviest weights and maximum repetitions! The same applies on the pilgrimage. Build to "normal" days if have start without having trained.

Buen camino.

This is the best response to this question I have read. Down to earth realism. Thank you!

As my journey nears, (4months, 2 weeks 1 day) I am getting so excited! But I've been reading about people who have been training since 2012! I am a waitress and therefore I walk for a living, so I'm wondering if I, too, should be training? Thanks, kelly

If you are reasonably fit you can go without 'training'. The more fit you are the less difficulty you will have.

The aim of any training should be 'physical fitness for life' and not 'physical fitness for the camino'.

If you are reasonably fit you can go without 'training'. The more fit you are the less difficulty you will have.

The aim of any training should be 'physical fitness for life' and not 'physical fitness for the camino'.
And don't forget about the mental fitness (clear head space) as there may be some days when you don't feel like walking due to injury or other things.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back