• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to Sahagun

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Seasons Greetings one and all... hands up how many of you are currently researching and planning your next Camino? :)

I'm (roughly) planning our walk from Madrid. My husband has limited time and I think we might need to lose one a day somewhere between Tres Cantos and Sahagun. I've spent today reading through so many of the well posted accounts of this camino and my question is directed to all those who have walked (or know) the route...

If I had to lose one stage which one would you choose?

(very interested to hear your replies)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Seasons Greetings one and all... hands up how many of you are currently researching and planning your next Camino? :)

I'm (roughly) planning our walk from Madrid. My husband has limited time and I think we might need to lose one a day somewhere between Tres Cantos and Sahagun. I've spent today reading through so many of the well posted accounts of this camino and my question is directed to all those who have walked (or know) the route...

LesBrass:

How many days do you have to walk the Madrid?

I like continuity in my walks but if I had to cut a day I would just start closer to my end target.

Why not start in Tres Cantos or Colmenar Viejo?

By the way, my hand is up.

Ultreya,
Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@jpflavin1 and @trecile I like both of those ideas... I'm already planning that in a way .... :) I'm visiting Madrid in May and hoping to walk out to Tres Cantos then which means we can skip that first stage in September.

I know that we're pushing things to try and fit everything in. We have 19 days of walking from Tres Cantos to Oviedo. We're not walking on the CF and we'll take a train to Leon... which saves a couple of days. I do think we can do Tres Cantos to Sahagun in the time frame but it might be nice to spend time in Segovia and I was thinking of maybe a rest day after the long walk into town?

@jpflavin1 and @trecile I like both of those ideas... I'm already planning that in a way .... :) I'm visiting Madrid in May and hoping to walk out to Tres Cantos then which means we can skip that first stage in September.

I know that we're pushing things to try and fit everything in. We have 19 days of walking from Tres Cantos to Oviedo. We're not walking on the CF and we'll take a train to Leon... which saves a couple of days. I do think we can do Tres Cantos to Sahagun in the time frame but it might be nice to spend time in Segovia and I was thinking of maybe a rest day after the long walk into town?

LesBrass:

I think 19 walking days if you start in Tres Cantos or Colmenar Viejo is very doable.

The San Salvador is a 5 day walk, that leaves 14 days for the Madrid and you are skipping the beginning. I walked the Madrid in 12 days. That should leave you plenty of time to walk the Madrid with time in Segovia.

There is not a lot after Segovia except Pine forest, Meseta and small Pueblo's. The only difficult day is Cercedilla to Segovia 31km's, imo. The rest of the route is relatively flat.

Happy planning,
Joe

I would be with @trecile and @jpflavin1 on this. Stage Madrid - Tres Cantos is definitely the one to skip if you really need to. And cercanias connections are frequent from Sol for example with C48 line and it takes only half an hour. It's easy to find your way to Camino from Renfe station in TC. If you want I can post directions.

I like Tres Cantos - Colmenar Viejo stage though and wouldn't skip it if possible.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If I were walking the Madrid again (which I might - it's a lovely walk) I would skip the Madrid to Tres Cantos stage.

While everyone is on the subject - for those that have walked already, how safe for a single woman? Are there others walking most of the time?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is a very quiet route. I walked in September and saw only five other pilgrims in two weeks. I think you need to comfortable with being on your own....

I did this in 2016. I recommend skipping ahead the first day to Tres Cantos by train to avoid the industrial belt surrounding Madrid.

I do not like them and personally find them soul sapping.

Hope this helps.

I have walked Camino de Madrid three Times and I love it. I would lose The stage Madrid-Tres Cantos. Stay in Madrid and go to mass and The next morning lokal train to Tres Cantos and start walking from there. Cercanias is The name of The train.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi folks and many thanks for these ideas, very useful! We've booked a hotel in Colmenar (mainly because we're driving and there is good parking... we'll get the train back into Tres Cantos in the morning and start from there. When I'm in Madrid in May I'll take my walking shoes and walk out along the camino ... so I know I wont miss anything. :)

I think with this new start and the train from Sahagun to Leon it all fits and we'll be fine. I feel much more settled knowing that we can do the walk in the time allowed without having to push ourselves or break the journey. And I know I have room in our schedule to give us some flexibility.... and there seems to be a lot of albergue choices so there's no need to plan ahead too much!

I'm very excited now! My spreadsheet is looking good...and it all feels very real :eek::D

If anyone is going to be in Tres Cantos on the morning of the 25th September we might see you on the path :)

It is a very quiet route. I walked in September and saw only five other pilgrims in two weeks. I think you need to comfortable with being on your own....

Hi Jenny,
I walked it alone this past June and although I was alone in several albergues and only saw 2 people while walking, I never felt uncomfortable. There were at times a few more people in the albergues but my stages didn't coincide with theirs.

The bottom line is that I don't mind walking alone and have done so on other solitary Caminos and (touch wood) have never encountered problems.

I walked in late September/early October and saw half a dozen walking pilgrims and half a dozen cyclists - only had one night on my own, one night with seven or eight of us, the rest of the time with one or two others each night. It was my first solo walk and I felt safe - a little mildly uncomfortable a couple of times, but not unsafe.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@LesBrass I’m sure your timing will be fine. I took 16 days on the Madrid but that included some VERY short ones because of the heat/jet lag. If you don’t want a whole extra day in Segovia you can do Cercedilla to La Granja and then it’s a very short walk in to Segovia the next day (12km if I remember rightly)

While everyone is on the subject - for those that have walked already, how safe for a single woman? Are there others walking most of the time?

Jennysa:

Safety is a relative term. It means something different to everyone.

I always feel safe in Spain. That said, if you tie safety to numbers of walkers, the Madrid may not be for you. I only saw two other Pilgrims over 12 days. I walked during the Spring, starting April 1st.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That's about when I'm thinking of starting next year. How was the weather at that time? Was all accommodation already open?

I had no problem with accommodation. The section from Cercedilla to Segovia was challenging. I found a foot of snow at the top and it went on for the next 7km's. It was a long exhausting day. The path is pretty intuitive, I had no problem even though there were no markers except at the very top.

I believe I posted pictures, maybe even a video.

There was also some rain but I have rain gear :).

Ultreya,
Joe

I am thinking of doing the Madrid to Sahagun walk in May/June. As I have already completed the CF can anyone tell me if I can get the Compostela certificate for this part of the journey only. Also, would it be necessary for me to travel to Santiago to get it.

I am thinking of doing the Madrid to Sahagun walk in May/June. As I have already completed the CF can anyone tell me if I can get the Compostela certificate for this part of the journey only. Also, would it be necessary for me to travel to Santiago to get it.
The Compostela is only given to those who walk the last 100 km to Santiago on one of the recognized Camino routes. There is a certificate that you can get in Sahagún, but I don't know what the requirements are.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If anyone is going to be in Tres Cantos on the morning of the 25th September we might see you on the path :)
I am planning to walk the Madrid to Sahagun, Frances to Ponferrada (with a possible detour through the Valley of Silence), Invierno to Santiago, starting at some point in late September of 2019, so we may just coincide on the Madrid.

Hi @LesBrass
I’m looking through my Cdm pics. So many good memories..
I feel I was fortunate to link up with a couple of other ladies from the forum but had started out with understanding that we could walk our own stages after first 1 or 2 days. No commitment..
However ., as it rolled on .. we seemed to walk well together and similar stages, so stayed together.
I allowed 14 days from Madrid. (I did do the Sol>Plaza Castilla section the previous day & caught metro back there on 22nd / as a result the day to Tres cantos wasn’t as long when I started proper). If I did it again I would start in Tres cantos but first time I wanted to start at the church.
I took my time. - I think 14 days but last day(day 15) I shared a taxi to Sahagún in order to catch my train to Ponferrada to walk the Invierno. My compañero walked into Sahagún and loved her last stop.
The stage going over the pass Fuenfria was snowed in and we had to take the train to Segovia for that stage. I would have liked to have walked that section in 2 days as recommended by Rachel @Kiwi-family and stopping at Grajal
Maybe another time.
So possibly because I’m getting a bit older I felt minimum 14days was better for me., or maybe because walking with others we relax more ., not sure.

Lots of terrific albergues to stop in on this camino which were open when we walked 22mar-5aprl earlier this year 2018. Whereabouts of key etc is sometimes noted on accomodation listings but if you don’t know where key is ., just stop and chat to someone in town ., the bar often has the key. The places that didn’t have albergues or they were closed , we referred to listings and checked them out. No problem finding reasonably priced accommodation.

It’s handy to have the Csj online guide or wise pilgrim app but it’s really well marked and if in doubt a handy app which works offline is maps.me

Occasionally I’d open that to see if I was on track. There are complete set of tracks for routes in Spain and Portugal that you can download onto maps.me or any app I guess.

The first 4 pics are on walk to tres cantos. I think on the pic of the horse looking back you can see one of the twin towers of plaza Castilla. They are visible a long way out.
The 1st pic shows number of metro stops back to Sol from plaza Castilla if you want to do the first section of ‘town walk’ first and train back to centre after to shorten first days walk.

We were lucky in Wamba to be able to have the guided tour of The Church of Santa Maria and the Ossuary..

Although mainly a fairly flat camino ., there were short sections where you put your ‘head down ‘. I remember the very short climb up into the Pueblo of Peñaflor de Hornija.. it sits atop a hill., so you walk down on exit. Watch the arrows leaving. I almost backtracked lol.
There was a good climb out of (Navacerrada?? I think ) but it was cold and it was all over fairly quickly.
That section is the hilliest - after Segovia it’s more flat or rolling. Very enjoyable.

A lot of pretty green sections walking in spring.
I’ll try to put up a pic of view coming into Valverde de Campos

The last pic is walking along beside the canal which starts at Medina de Rioseco.. very pretty and peaceful until the wind blew and I had a lot of bother try to put my poncho on.

Wishing you Buen Camino
Any camino is s great camino.

Ps for @jennysa Being comfortable walking alone I’ve found myself to be something I’ve learned can be a great experience. Although I loved the company on the Madrid. ( 3 of us mainly together but occasionally met a couple of others. ). I found myself cover the whole Invierno alone. (Bumped into another peregrina one evening). So apart from the people who lived or were in the villages I saw no-one but grew more comfortable with it the more I walked. I did get a few raised eyebrows with people why a lady would travel alone but I felt safe.
I had a phone with a sim - I guess I was lucky but I would do it again.
Buen Camino to you

Annie

Attachments

• 82FE4767-9796-4555-9EE6-D2C06712A0F1.jpeg
    82FE4767-9796-4555-9EE6-D2C06712A0F1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • 56228F40-36EA-41C6-BE52-C11044C75F0F.jpeg
    56228F40-36EA-41C6-BE52-C11044C75F0F.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 38
  • 7DE76965-90EE-46C5-98BF-B65B93F31802.jpeg
    7DE76965-90EE-46C5-98BF-B65B93F31802.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 7115FC97-F9E9-4393-8643-0A72BC64A978.jpeg
    7115FC97-F9E9-4393-8643-0A72BC64A978.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 640EEE63-45E0-41B4-A6F4-61A70946C12E.jpeg
    640EEE63-45E0-41B4-A6F4-61A70946C12E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 6D99501D-7C38-4289-8A59-9899E7016966.jpeg
    6D99501D-7C38-4289-8A59-9899E7016966.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 34
  • B6672A35-F426-45E2-B321-7115903C87F2.jpeg
    B6672A35-F426-45E2-B321-7115903C87F2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • CA8D6B19-F73E-414A-99C2-5BC84FB0750B.jpeg
    CA8D6B19-F73E-414A-99C2-5BC84FB0750B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 8BD034C3-272B-4C93-A17A-3F918EFCBD9C.jpeg
    8BD034C3-272B-4C93-A17A-3F918EFCBD9C.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 40
  • EB4C9182-B389-4761-A1CB-495D773EAC70.jpeg
    EB4C9182-B389-4761-A1CB-495D773EAC70.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
I did this in 2016. I recommend skipping ahead the first day to Tres Cantos by train to avoid the industrial belt surrounding Madrid.

I do not like them and personally find them soul sapping.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to disagree, t2, but there is no industrial belt on the Camino de Madrid. You walk north from Plaza Castilla, past the big towers, around a hospital, under the M-40 (or 30, I can’t remember), and you are out in the country. It is probably the best big city exit on any camino I have walked. Some of the way into Tres Cantos is on a bike path near a highway, which isn’t beautiful, but it isn’t industrial!

I also think the walk from the church through central Madrid to the Plaza Castilla is very nice if you plot it right. Through the old centro and up the Castellana, it is a very nice walk, too.

I’m not saying that people should start at the church, but avoiding a bad exit shouldn’t be the reason for jumping ahead.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry to disagree, t2, but there is no industrial belt on the Camino de Madrid. You walk north from Plaza Castilla, past the big towers, around a hospital, under the M-40 (or 30, I can’t remember), and you are out in the country. It is probably the best big city exit on any camino I have walked. Some of the way into Tres Cantos is on a bike path near a highway, which isn’t beautiful, but it isn’t industrial!

I also think the walk from the church through central Madrid to the Plaza Castilla is very nice if you plot it right. Through the old centro and up the Castellana, it is a very nice walk, too.

I’m not saying that people should start at the church, but avoiding a bad exit shouldn’t be the reason for jumping ahead.

Yeah we are all different. I can't comment about Madrid itself as I have only been a tourist there, but on a Camino, at times, I actually like the infrequent contact with modern industrial parts and the surrounding population - one part of the real Spain. Also, in some areas, from recent history you can see the demise of the large coal mining, steel smelting and shipbuilding industries. I find them interesting too. Bilbao would be a good example for the last two. And on the Camino Olvidado, which starts in Bilbao, there is plenty of evidence of the now obsolete coal mining era.
20 years ago I was critical of the way other pilgrims did a Camino. With age I have become more mellow. Now I am not judgemental how they do the Camino.
The two things that haven't changed are that I have to walk every inch of the way, whether or not I am doing the Camino for a charity and my love of walking In the mountains. Yeah we are all different. 😋

Last edited:

You are correct that there is more "city" and not as much industry per se. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Some folks DO walk every city block out of Madrid. I think we agree that most of the distance from downtown Madrid, say from one traditional starting place at the Church of Santiago and St. John the Baptist, north to Tres Cantos, goes from very urban to densely suburban.

It is true that there is a fair amount of walking in the park, literally. But to me, a city is a city. I avoid them when I am on Camino, when possible. The exception is if they are a day's ending point. Arriving in a city is one thing, getting out is another.

IMHO, taking the train to Tres Cantos remains a valid "cheat" especially if you need to shave some time.

In his guides, Mr. Brierely shows these urban or commercial / industrial areas with a light grey shading. I usually take that as my cue to consider a leap-frog day... The sole exception, where I compel myself to tough it out, is for places like Porrino, in Spain on the Camino Portuguese after Tui, where skipping the drudge part disqualifies one from a Compostela, if that was a driving factor in your pilgrimage.

Personally, I just lump all the grey shaded areas together as ground I just as soon skip over. This applies as a general statement to the commercial or industrial zones that surround most all cities and very large towns in Spain and Portugal.

To me, the Camino is about walking in the country, between cities and towns. Anything that is too urban frankly bothers me. But that is a personal preference.

We have no disagreement between us. We rarely do. I simply had a difference is perspective and was not as clear as I ought to have been. Sorry to all for any inconvenience...

Hope this helps.

I would concur with Laurie on leaving Madrid. I started in the Plaza. The beginning part of the walk was through the city and then a suburb but you quickly pass under the M-40 and you are in the country. I walked past Tres Cantos because the Camino does not pass through the city and continued on to Colmenar Viejo. Long 1st day but a flat walk.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Personally, I haven't minded walking in and out of cities on the caminos I've done so far. I like how the path is always routed through parks where possible and that you get to see parts of the cities you wouldn't ordinarily see. So if I do the Madrid in April, I'll start on foot from the Santiago church.

Personally, I haven't minded walking in and out of cities on the caminos I've done so far. I like how the path is always routed through parks where possible and that you get to see parts of the cities you wouldn't ordinarily see. So if I do the Madrid in April, I'll start on foot from the Santiago church.
If you have enough time by all means do that from the centro of Madrid. It's nice walk exactly as @peregrina2000 described it. First through old part, then along the mostly shady avenue (past Santiago Bernabeu football/soccer stadium), plenty of last stock-up or breakfast options and then very soon you are out of the densely populated area into suburbs. An hour later you are in the scrubland with nice views back to the four towers of Madrid. Last part to Tres Cantos is indeed and sadly on tarmaced bicycle lane.
I would say that at least 3/5 of this stage is on paved surface so be careful about blisters on always tricky first day walking ;)

I’d quite like to do this one again. But I would skip Cercedilla.

What’s this about a certificate in Sahagún? Does anyone have more information?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’d quite like to do this one again. But I would skip Cercedilla.

You can obtain some kind of half-way certificate of CF (from SJPdP) in Sahagun. That's all I know.

Hi folks and many thanks for these ideas, very useful! We've booked a hotel in Colmenar (mainly because we're driving and there is good parking... we'll get the train back into Tres Cantos in the morning and start from there. When I'm in Madrid in May I'll take my walking shoes and walk out along the camino ... so I know I wont miss anything. :)

I think with this new start and the train from Sahagun to Leon it all fits and we'll be fine. I feel much more settled knowing that we can do the walk in the time allowed without having to push ourselves or break the journey. And I know I have room in our schedule to give us some flexibility.... and there seems to be a lot of albergue choices so there's no need to plan ahead too much!

I'm very excited now! My spreadsheet is looking good...and it all feels very real :eek::D

Hi I am considering this route possibly September.
Moira

I was on my own, felt very safe, saw 2 people and 4 bikes,
The whole trip.Walked afew days with one chap, not usuallymore than 2 or 3 people in the albergue if any.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked in Sept of 2017, and always felt safe. I had quite a few nights alone in albergues more than was expecting really., It's a great camino I would love to do it again!

I'm planning my second for Sept-Oct 2019, Camino San Salvador and Primitivo, I hope. I need someone to walk with at least for the San Salvador

I know you can get a Camino de Madrid credencial at the Santiago church In Madrid.
Do I understand you are able to get in Sahagun a “Camino de Madrid” certificate?

Or is is this certificate a kind of CF mid-way certificate as quoted by @KinkyOne? If true what is the difference of the Camino de Madrid credencial and the “official” credencial used? Just only a different credencial document you may want to have as a memory of the Camino you walked?

Do I understand you are able to get in Sahagun a “Camino de Madrid” certificate?

Yes. Here are the details:
Coming into Sahagún, the Iglesia da la Peregrina, where you can get a certificate, is literally the first building you come to, on the left before the final descent into town. It’s €3 for the certificate and entrance to the church, which is now an interpretation centre of sorts.

Regarding the church itself:
There is some wonderful Mudéjar decoration in the chapel to the right of the apse, but in my view it has been completely over restored to the point of ruining it. There’s a ‘before’ photo on display and it looks so much more authentic and atmospheric; the restoration has removed/covered all the historic brickwork and replaced it with squeaky clean whitewashed walls.

Thanks! This was not quite clear to me. And yes, the church is a visit worth. Starting Camino the Madrid mid April this year, followed by Camino del Selvador, Leon - Oviedo. Also a certificate for this camino is nice to have: the Salvadorana. Credencial for this specific certificate can be obtained in Leon at two locations.

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.