• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to SJDP

Natique2

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
I am trying to figure out specifically how to get to SJDP from Madrid airport (MAD). I have searched this forum and have gone on the renfe train site and alsa bus site to try to figure how I get from Madrid to SJDP but cannot seem to find a solution. Can someone be a true saint and give me step by step directions on how to book tickets on the train and bus? I know after flying into Madrid I have to go to Pamplona by train and then to SJDP by bus but exactly how to book those tickets and what they cost is confusing and I am failing to even be able to navigate each of the websites. Please help🙏🙏🙏

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am trying to figure out specifically how to get to SJDP from Madrid airport (MAD). I have searched this forum and have gone on the renfe train site and alsa bus site to try to figure how I get from Madrid to SJDP but cannot seem to find a solution. Can someone be a true saint and give me step by step directions on how to book tickets on the train and bus? I know after flying into Madrid I have to go to Pamplona by train and then to SJDP by bus but exactly how to book those tickets and what they cost is confusing and I am failing to even be able to navigate each of the websites. Please help🙏🙏🙏
i assume you mean ‘SJPdP…as in St. Jean Pied de Port in France, a popular starting point of the Camino Frances. The best step-by-step guide for transportation that I have found is https://www.rome2rio.com. It will show all options as well as the step-by-step directions you’re looking for.

They also may have not posted the bus times for St. Jean from Pamplona yet. I was looking at the Alsa website. It looks like they will start bus service again on March 16th with one bus a day leaving at noon. I would recommend downloading the Alsa app. It is super easy to use and you will have your ticket right on your phone. If you are leaving later in the spring or summer they will not have posted a schedule yet.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you provide the actual date you will be traveling, the forum can provide a lot more information to you. Travel options very greatly based on seasons, holidays, day of the week, etc.

It looks like they will start bus service again on March 16th with one bus a day leaving at noon. I would recommend downloading the Alsa app. It is super easy to use and you will have your ticket right on your phone. If you are leaving later in the spring or summer they will not have posted a schedule yet.

Or rather, as far as the 12:00 ALSA bus from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port is concerned: The schedule is available online and covers the period 16 March 2023 to 1 August 2023 (at least). The ticket costs €22 and can already be purchased for any day during this period of six months. Departure time and price are the same as in 2022 if memory does not fail me.

@Natique2, you can set the language for the Alsa.com website to English and the booking process is pretty straightforward. You pay by credit card.

Alsa.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning

I have done it two ways. First I flew from SFO to Madrid, then flew to Biarritz. In Biarritz we hooked up with another Pilgrim who had ordered a van and drove to SJPP. The second time we flew from SFO to Madrid, hopped a train to Pamplona and along with two other pilgrims took a taxi to SJPP.

In both cases, other than airlines, we had no reservations. The Camino provides

Buen Camino
Bob

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are planning for September 2023 as your signature suggests, your failing is that you are WAY TOO EARLY to be booking trains and busses. The schedules for late summer aren't even published yet or firm in most cases. Relax. Thousands make this trek every year. Sometime in May or June all the schedule options will be available, and you will be able to buy tickets. I like thetrainline.com for buying train tickets, but raileurope.com works as well. As you are in the USA, the Renfe website (the Spanish rail operator) can be hard to use, and I have had trouble getting them and SNCF (the French operator) to take my credit card in the past. The resellers I suggested charge a bit more, but they don't have that problem, and the websites are, shall we say, friendlier to people not familiar with railway schedules. As for busses, alsa.es or their app, and flixbus.com or their app will both sell you bus tickets.....when the time comes.

You can either catch a taxi, train or coach into Madrid from the airport. In September last year, it was 30 euros via taxi to central Madrid - we had flown from Australia, so after 24 hours of travel, just wanted to reach our destination quickly. After staying a few days in Madrid to help us over our jet lag and enjoy Madrid, we caught a train from Atocha Station (a very large station in Madrid) at approx. 7:30am. Upon reaching Pamplona, we caught a local bus after only a short wait (from right outside the train station - the local bus driver spoke only a little English, but, he was helpful in recognising where we needed to go as was an older gentlemen already on the bus), to the main coach departure station. We had adequate time to board the coach to SJPDP for its departure time of 12 noon (the only bus of the day) and arriving in SJPDP at about 1:45pm. You will not be able to pre-purchase your train or coach tickets more than about a month or so out online, as schedules are not available until close to departure dates - don't stress about this, there was plenty of room on both the train (Renfe) and coach (Alsa) - both were very reasonably priced from memory. It will likely be easier for you and not so confusing to see booking information when the schedules are released, as you will no doubt be hitting brick walls at present due to not being able to access the dates you need. Try again when you are four or five weeks out from arriving in Madrid, I'm sure it will all make more sense then. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back