• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to SJPDP - Options

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
For our (my wife and I) first Camino next year (Yes, I am assuming there will be more) our planning is progressing.

The idea is to tackle the CF from St Jean. We had considered a couple of side trips before and after the Camino, but we'd prefer to allocate all our time to the Camino, and then see how we feel at the end.

So at this stage our entry and exit 'port' (or Airport) looks like Madrid. Seems to be the closest place we can fly into from Sydney, with a just brief 'coffee stop' stop in Dubai.

So for the experienced Pilgrims who may have tackled this, what do you think our transport options might be to and from St Jean?

Although I have yet to research it in detail, I suspect:

Fly into Pamplona, then bus/taxi.
Train to ??
Bus? Not sure I want to be couped up in a bus for day though....

But I'm not sure of transit times yet.

We'll probably take a couple of days to look around Madrid before heading to SJPDP. I don't really want to be faced with lots of tricky changes and transfers, as we'll be anxious to get started on the Camino and want to arrive at the 'start point' relatively rested and stress free if possible..

Any thoughts, most appreciated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Two options are:

Madrid to SJPdP via Pamplona

Madrid to SJPdP via Bayonne

The easiest way is to plane, train, or bus to Pamplona. Then take the bus from Pamplona to SJPdP. The fly in the ointment is the last leg bus is seasonal 1730 17 March to 30 September 2014 and 1430 1 June to 30 September 2014. Schedules are posted only one month in advance.

Otherwise Plane to San Sebastian (EAS), Train to Irun/Hendaye, or Bus to San Sebastian. Then travel onward to Bayonne using bus or train via Irun/Hendaye. The options are myriad and appear more complex than they are. The advantage of travel via Bayonne is the train for the last leg to SJPdP runs 4 times daily all year.

I completed my Camino at the end of September 2013, and I too hope it is only my first. I flew into Barcelona from Sydney, had 2 days recovering from jet lag and then caught the train to Pamplona. We started from Pamplona but originally were to start from SJPP and we were to get a taxi from there, I enjoyed the train trip and can't remember exactly but it was about 2.5 or 3 hours. I did continue travelling after completing the Camino, so far to come and not make full us of my ticket. We left our bags at the Hotel we stayed at in Barcelona so flew back to Barcelona from Santiago and a month later flew out of Istanbul for home, however we posted our backpacks etc home from Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm sorry ... I couldn't help it ... I was just curious :oops:

Anyone want to 'Heli Share' from Madrid to Pamplona ?

90 minutes A to B.

sadly the cost is more than our return flights to Sydney ... for 3 Caminos ...

5-6 seater = 1,000+ euro per seat :eek:

The train sounds perfect :)

So at this stage our entry and exit 'port' (or Airport) looks like Madrid. Seems to be the closest place we can fly into from Sydney, with a just brief 'coffee stop' stop in Dubai.

Any thoughts, most appreciated.

Robo, if you are flying Emirates from Sydney it costs no more to fly into Paris and out from Madrid. Much easier to get to SJPDP from Paris than Madrid, much easier to get from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid than Paris.

Robo, if you are flying Emirates from Sydney it costs no more to fly into Paris and out from Madrid. Much easier to get to SJPDP from Paris than Madrid, much easier to get from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid than Paris.

OK, we'll check that out, thanks Kanga. Though we were thinking that we have 'done' Paris before and might spend more time in Spain. But Paris is great. :)

Is it really easier to get to SJPDP from Paris though?

Train to Bayonne. Then train to SJPDP.
v
Train to Pamplona. Then bus/van to SJPDP.

But maybe I missed something. Very common these days ... :oops:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You might be right. The last time I went from Madrid to SJPDP there was a bus to Roncesvalles from Pamplona, but not to SJPDP. You had to catch a taxi from Roncesvalles, which had to be pre-arranged.

Good Morning! I will be flying into Pamplona from Madrid. Is the city center of Pamplona withen walking distance of the Airport or how do Pilgrims get to the city? I will be staying in Pamplona Jesus y Maria one night before moving on to Corozon and then San Jean PDP to start my Camino.

Thank you!
Ed

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's about 6.2 km from the airport to your albergue. Google maps says there may sidewalks or walkways missing on the path they show. I'm planning on just taking a taxi after the long overseas flight. Your call..... :)

There is an option if you want to go through Madrid. I, too, was looking at the best option that is also a little bit more budget friendly and something that adds to the trip. Check out Corazon Puro, a private albergue that will pick you up at either the bus station, train station or airport in Pamplona, bring you to their albergue for dinner and a night's rest and getting you go SJPDP the next morning for about €46 each.

I'll be experiencing this first hand, two weeks from today. A number of pilgrims from this forum have experienced this. Prior to learning about CP, I was stressed about connections and costs. Not now...now I am just looking forward to this new adventure.

I'm flying into Pamplona morning of June 4th. I figure similar to most cities there is probably a bus that will take me to the city center.

When on the Camino I'm not much of a planner. Other than my air travel I choose to simply discover whatever comes my way in real time, trusting in myself and the Camino that it will all work out as it is meant to be.

if I could only transfer this skill back to the real world for longer periods of time I'd probably not be walking Caminos every year. Now that's a Catch-22.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
2 more days and I'll be doing it! Flying to Madrid; bus leaves Airport to Pamplona 2hours later; go to Corazon Puro for night. ride to SJPDP next morning. Not sure when I will start walking--depends on SJPDP.

It's about 6.2 km from the airport to your albergue. Google maps says there may sidewalks or walkways missing on the path they show. I'm planning on just taking a taxi after the long overseas flight. Your call..... :)
Thanks Pennie. Taxi it is then. Your the best!!!!

Ed

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There is an option if you want to go through Madrid. I, too, was looking at the best option that is also a little bit more budget friendly and something that adds to the trip. Check out Corazon Puro, a private albergue that will pick you up at either the bus station, train station or airport in Pamplona, bring you to their albergue for dinner and a night's rest and getting you go SJPDP the next morning for about €46 each.

I'll be experiencing this first hand, two weeks from today. A number of pilgrims from this forum have experienced this. Prior to learning about CP, I was stressed about connections and costs. Not now...now I am just looking forward to this new adventure.

Thank you for your reply Kris. Two nights at Corozon is one too many for me. I would rather spend a night in Pamplona touring.

Ed

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
OK, we'll check that out, thanks Kanga. Though we were thinking that we have 'done' Paris before and might spend more time in Spain. But Paris is great. :)

Is it really easier to get to SJPDP from Paris though?

Train to Bayonne. Then train to SJPDP.
v
Train to Pamplona. Then bus/van to SJPDP.

But maybe I missed something. Very common these days ... :oops:

The critical factor in this analysis is whether there is a bus to SJPdP. At time of writing there is a bus 1730 17 March - 30 September 2014 and 1430 1 June - 30 September 2014. Schedule was updated only a month in advance. If your travel dates fall within that window Madrid to Pamplona to SJPdP is probably the fastest. However, if you arrive at Pamplona at 1731 ... its 21 hours to the next bus.

Otherwise distance from Paris to Bayonne is 700km and Madrid to Bayonne is 400km plus transfer complications at the border. Its an all day evolution either way. There are trains Bayonne to SJPdP 4x daily all year.

The other factor to consider is homeward bound. There are trains and planes from Santiago to Madrid. Paris is much further away.

I found any flight from Vancouver went to Madrid or Paris by way of London and involved several hours between flights. So I opted to get off in London. The hard part was getting from Heathrow to Stansted. The flight Stansted to Biarritz was cheap. So was the flight from Madrid to London on my way home. I could have gone Santiago to London. Biarritz is the closest airport to SJPdP. Bonus is time spent in London does not count against Schengen visa time.

What do you mean two nights?

Hello Kris, I will be flying into Pamplona from Madrid. I will then be staying in Pamplona Jesus y Maria one night before moving on to Corazon and then San Jean PDP to start my Camino. Plan is that since I will be in Pamplona on my way to SJPDP why not just spend a day there and tour the city. On my way back thru hiking I will go straight thru Pamplona (as I have toured it already) and most likely stay in Cizur Menor. From there it is God Woilling where I end up staying. I guess that I could have been a bit clearer. Sorry for the confusion. Buen Camino. Ed

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks MM for the heads up regarding lack of bus service at Pamplona airport.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back