• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to SJPdP - reservations??

Maria Jo

Time of past OR future Camino
April (2019)
Looking at Rome2rio’s website, looks like best way from Madrid to St jean is combo train/bus. Is it necessary to purchase tickets and book travel in advance? Here in the United States, I’m used to just arriving at the station and purchasing a ticket onsite. I don’t want to assume it’s the same everywhere!

Also, does anyone have a better suggestion as far as route and transportation, or does train/bus seem the most reasonable? Im looking for the quickest route. Taking into consideration travel and wait times at an airport, I’m thinking ground travel is best. Thanks for suggestions!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The wife and I have taken trains all over Spain. We've never encountered one that was sold out. You can typically buy the ticket at the ticket office in the station where someone who speaks enough english to help you will be working or at one of the ticket machines in the station that all have an English option....

Stop in Zaragosa for a night on your way from Madrid to Pamplona. The El Tubo tapas district is worth the visit...!

You will get a better price for the train ticket if you book it ahead. I was just looking for a friend who is going in mid May, and a Madrid - Pamplona ticket could be purchased for about 22 euro.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Although not as inexpensive as a train or bus, at 60 Euro there are several flights a day from MAD to BIQ that take about 80 minutes. At BIQ you can take a quick shuttle or taxi ride to St Jean. Just a thought, although I know you didn't include flying in your mix for transport.

I wanted to get there quickly too without long layovers. I will leave Boston at 5:30 pm and arrive in Madrid by 6:30 am, hop a quick flight to Pamplona to arrive by 9:30 am. I can then take a bus and be in St. Jean by 4pm or a cab and be there by noon. It's not the cheapest, but for me it was definitely the quickest. You can make bus and reservations within 60 days of your arrival. Your options may vary based on where you're traveling from and when you leave. Good luck planning!

Although not as inexpensive as a train or bus, at 60 Euro there are several flights a day from MAD to BIQ that take about 80 minutes. At BIQ you can take a quick shuttle or taxi ride to St Jean. Just a thought, although I know you didn't include flying in your mix for transport.
Would you mind sharing airline/flight info on this? All I’m finding into BIQ are flights with multiple connections (taking many hours) and rates are over 500 Euro

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Would you mind sharing airline/flight info on this? All I’m finding into BIQ are flights with multiple connections (taking many hours) and rates are over 500 Euro

It puzzled me that you had no joy finding a flight, so I went back and did some digging. You are right!

Up until last October there were two airlines that served the route from MAD to BIQ. That was how I traveled from Madrid to Biarritz last September. My one way ticket ran $52.00.

Apparently, the last direct flights ended at the end of October. So now, the fastest travel from Madrid to SJPdP would be what Daniel Christel described in his post above. Flights to Pamplona depart at various times throughout the day.

Sorry for the misinformation. I just never considered that the MAD to BIQ route would be completely dropped. On the off-chance that you are able and willing to fly into either Paris or London instead of Madrid, there are direct flights to BIQ from either.

I wanted to get there quickly too without long layovers. I will leave Boston at 5:30 pm and arrive in Madrid by 6:30 am, hop a quick flight to Pamplona to arrive by 9:30 am. I can then take a bus and be in St. Jean by 4pm or a cab and be there by noon. It's not the cheapest, but for me it was definitely the quickest. You can make bus and reservations within 60 days of your arrival. Your options may vary based on where you're traveling from and when you leave. Good luck planning!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looking at Rome2rio’s website, looks like best way from Madrid to St jean is combo train/bus. Is it necessary to purchase tickets and book travel in advance? Here in the United States, I’m used to just arriving at the station and purchasing a ticket onsite. I don’t want to assume it’s the same everywhere!

Also, does anyone have a better suggestion as far as route and transportation, or does train/bus seem the most reasonable? Im looking for the quickest route. Taking into consideration travel and wait times at an airport, I’m thinking ground travel is best. Thanks for suggestions!

I think depending on time of travel. Bus/train (don't know much about Air travel) when I used them was practically empty in February on any route I took.

Getting from Madrid to Pomplona is not a big issue at any season as there are bus/train. In winter, it will be a challenge to get to the SJ from Pomplona. There are daily bus that is not running in winter.

What airlines fly from MAD to BIQ? My Mr. Google is not turning up any results. Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back