• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to SJPdP

One Eye

Hello,

This will be my 3rd Camino, but my first from St Jean. I will be leaving in early May, and will be traveling by bike. My question is, what is the best way to get there with a bike? I have traveled with a bike before and, at best, is tedious and difficult. Taxis are difficult to obtain, due to the size of the box that the bicycle is in, and I haven't given buses a consideration. I've traveled by train from Madrid to Leon, and that was an adventure in and amongst itself.
I don't mind if it takes a few days to get there, that would help with the jet lag, and allow my body some time to adjust.

Any ideas, tips and suggestions would be helpful.

Sean

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Granted, I haven't traveled with a bike before, but if it's in a box, why not take the bus? It could be stored in the luggage compartment.

As for getting to SJP from Madrid, that should be no problem. You *may* have to go out of your way a bit, since the only way to get from Roncesvalles to SJP is a taxi. What about flying on to San Sebastian (or Biarritz)? From there, you could take the bus to Irun/Hendaye, then the train from Hendaye to Bayonne. And lastly the train from Bayonne to SJP.

Kelly

I really do think this forum needs a "bicigrino" section. There are many questions that pertain to cycling the Camino that could be more easily accessed in its own section.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
biking-the-camino/

There is a bicycling area. Perhaps the question should be posted there, too?

No problem. I know there are parts of the forum I never venture to because I don't have anything to contribute. The bicycling area is one of them!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Trying to make reservations to travel by train from Madrid to Pamplona in May. Doesn't seem to work using Renfe or Rumbo web sites. Do I need to have a ticket before I get leave? Or buy it when I get there? Any advise on how to book one would be helpful.
Thanks. Jim

kansas098@aol.com said:
Trying to make reservations to travel by train from Madrid to Pamplona in May. Doesn't seem to work using Renfe or Rumbo web sites. Do I need to have a ticket before I get leave? Or buy it when I get there? Any advise on how to book one would be helpful.
Thanks. Jim
I would not worry too much about it. Get the tickets at the station once in Madrid (note that there are 2 main train stations in Madrid)...also note that there is a great bus service to Pamplona from Madrid
( http://www.alsa.es ) .

Buen Camino!
Ivar

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Does your reply regarding not needing a train reservation to get from Madrid to Pamplona still apply? And does the train leave from Atocha train station?

bgtin said:
Does your reply regarding not needing a train reservation to get from Madrid to Pamplona still apply? And does the train leave from Atocha train station?
I think that the only days when you need to book in advance would be "special" days like holidays and maybe if you travel in the month of august (august is the big vacation month in Spain). Outside of that, I don't think it is needed.... of course it does not hurt, but not needed (I think). Just give yourself some time to find the ticket counter and get the tickets at least a few hours before the train.

Have a look at the renfe website: http://www.renfe.com/ (click "Welcome" top right for english).

I theory you can book tickets on this site, but I know many trying to book from outside spain has had some problems.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

One Eye said:
Any ideas, tips and suggestions would be helpful.

Sean
I realized this post is 2 years old, but in the hope it can help somebody--- Have you consider renting a bike? I saw so many bike rentals ads while doing the Camino. I am sure you have specifications in mind, etc... but why not give it a try that there is a compny that can supply the bike you feel comfortable with and that can ease logistics substantially?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back