• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to SJPDP?

Weeksbl

Time of past OR future Camino
First timer, walking endAugust-October.
Hey, I'm flying into Madrid and wanted to find out what some of the ways people have traveled to SJPDP.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm taking the 10:45 ALSA bus from T4 to Pamplona bus station, staying overnight in Pamplona rather near the bus station to rest after the long flight and have a look at Pamplona so I can blow through on the way back if I want to. The next a.m., taking the 10 a.m. Conda/ALSA bus from Pamplona to SJPP and staying another night there because I've heard it's a nice little town and I have items to pick up (a trekking pole and Compeed). I had some trouble booking the buses online through both ALSA and Movelia - a convoluted process involving figuring out where the system's glitches are for foreign users - it helped to turn off the automatic translation under settings beforehand.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is train, bus, and airplane service from Madrid to Pamplona. The most comfortable is the train. The ALSA bus has the most frequent service and some buses pick up at the Madrid airport T4. There is seasonal limited CONDA bus service from Pamplona to SJPdP.

The other way is to go to Irun or Hendaye by Renfe train. Then cross the border (if the train doesn't terminate in Hendaye) and take an SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne. There is another SNCF train/bus service from Bayonne to SJPdP - typically 4 times per day all year. There are a lot of variables on this route including bus from Madrid to San Sebastian, Euskotren from San Sebastian to Hendaye, Transports64 bus to Bayonne, and the San Sebastian Airport is located 3km from Irun Renfe station.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you haven't bought your plane ticket yet, I would look into adding on Madrid-Pamplona and Santiago-Madrid. This is called an open jaw or multi-city ticket. I started doing this about 5 years ago because of a suggestion I got on the forum and I find it rarely adds that much to the round trip international ticket price and it saves a lot of time and expense. And it means you don't have to spend an extra night in Pamplona or Santiago.

Once in Pamplona, you can easily get to SJPP as others have described. Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back