• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to SJPP and back to Madrid from Santiago

Dzyduck87

Northwest Canada
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2014
I have a contact in Madrid who shared this information with me after I asked him:

1. Airport to Puerta del Sol
2. Madrid to SJPP
3. Santiago to Madrid

and these were his answers, hope they help.

But the first is to arrive to Madrid. Madrid Barajas Airport has 4 terminals, T1, T2 and T3 are close each other. T4 is the newest and has a train to Puerta del Sol station. So, if your plane not arrives to T4, you'd better catch a free bus available to get T4 and then get the train.
Take C-1 line until Chamartin and then change to line C-3 or C-4. No need to get a new ticket. Both of them go to Sol. Now price of this train is 2,55 EUR.
This train doesn't work from midnight to 6 AM.
Here you are a train map http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/planos/madrid.html
You also can go to downtown from the airport by subway or by Bus, but it's more expensive and you'll need to do more transfers so I recommend you the train.

Once you are in Sol you can get the pilgrim credential (Credencial de Peregrino) needed for sleep in hostel along the Way. If you've readed about Camino de Santiago you'll know. You can get it at Parroquia de Santiago y San Juan (24th Santiago street) or at Madrid Cathedral. This Credential is for free but a donative would be appreciated (1-2 EUR). You can also get your credential when you arrive to Saint Jean Pied de Port but I think you'll have to pay it then.

Question 2. The best (and I think the only) way to arrive to St Jean Pied de Port is by bus.
First, you'll need to go to Pamplona (city known for Sanfermines ) and, once there, take another bus to Saint Jean.
Bus to Pamplona departs from Avenida de América station (Subway lines 4,6,7,9)
You may ask alsa@alsa.es for timetables.
Fares
Madrid-Pamplona: 30,84 EUR (50% discount buying 15 days in advance)
Pamplona - Saint Jean Pied de Port: 20 EUR
Question 3: As far as I know you cannot fly from Santiago to Madrid for 5 EUR. Cheapest way I know is via http://www.ryanair.com and the fares are 15-25 EUR reserving one month in advance. As you don't know when to arrive to Santiago I recommend you to do an estimation and book the flight at least one week in advance (for instance when you arrive to O Cebreiro, 100 miles away from Santiago) or you'll risk to have full flights.
You can always take the bus without a reservation, but this is more expensive and it's a longer journey.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back