• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to SJPP?

dream_catcher

I am starting the Camino in 2 weeks. I had planned to start at Roncesvalles, so I booked for Madrid, as I did two years ago when I attempted (and quit).

However, two things have convinced me to start at SJPP--including a big write-up on the Camino in the newspaper of Singapore, where I live. I think I would like to attempt the climb of the Pyranees, which the writer urged.

How can I get from either 1) Madrid to SJPP or 2) from Pamplona to SJPP? The last time, I took a train from Madrid to Pamplona and I am sure I can get to Roncesvalles from Pamplona--but if anyone has any experience (or can past a link from this website for this info, since I am sure this question has been answered already) I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good for you - to have another go at walking el camino. I'm sure it will be kind to you this time and that you are ready to be kind to you this time too!

The best way to get to St Jean is to fly, train or bus to Pamplona. Perhaps you could change your ticket? If you are flying Iberia they can add on the Madrid to Pamplona flight for you.

You can check the bus service at http://www.alsa.es and the train service at http://www.renfe.es
It is a HUGE airport. If you decide to take a train you might make the 10h35 train. If your flight is delayed, the next train is at 15h05. It takes 3 hours and costs 52 euro.
There are TWO main train stations in Madrid - you need ATOCHA RENFE. Take the escalators all the way down to the Metro. From the Metro map you will see that from the airport you must take Line 8 (the pink line) to Nuevos Ministerios Station and then change there onto the dark blue line for Tribunal. Then one more change onto the torquoise line for ATOCHA renfe (DO NOT get off at ATOCHA - wait for Atosha Renfe). At Atosha Renfe you can take a train to Pamplona.

If you decide to go by bus, you will need to get to MADRID (INTERCAM AV.AMERICA) bus station. There are buses at 10:30, 12pm, 2pm, 3pm: They take 5 hours and cost 27 euro.
From Pamplona you can wait for the 6pm bus to Roncesvalles or go by taxi.
I would recommend that you contact Caroline at Express Burricot (little donkey taxi service) who ferries people every day from Pamlpona to St Jean. If you are prepared to wait until the afternoon, she will arrange to fetch you and other pilgrims from the Bus Station in Pamplona at about 4:30pm. apcaroline@hotmail.com She charges 32 euro.

I would also suggest that you reserve a bed at the albergue Espirit de Chemin in St Jean - they fill up quickly and then you have to hunt for hotels or guest house accommodation. website http://www.espritduchemin.org. email hubertarno@espritduchemin.org (They close at the end of September).

I would also recommend that you book to stay at Orisson on the way up to Roncesvalles. Book a room ahead of time - they also fill up quickly. http://www.refuge-orisson.com/ Jean-jacques.etchandy@wanadoo.fr refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr

Good luck and buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ooops! Of course it is! And PLEASE correct me - would hate to send the poor pilgrims off to the wrong station!!

sillydoll said:
Good for you - to have another go at walking el camino. I'm sure it will be kind to you this time and that you are ready to be kind to you this time too!

The best way to get to St Jean is to fly, train or bus to Pamplona. Perhaps you could change your ticket? If you are flying Iberia they can add on the Madrid to Pamplona flight for you.

You can check the bus service at http://www.alsa.es and the train service at http://www.renfe.es
It is a HUGE airport. If you decide to take a train you might make the 10h35 train. If your flight is delayed, the next train is at 15h05. It takes 3 hours and costs 52 euro.
There are TWO main train stations in Madrid - you need ATOSHA RENFE. Take the escalators all the way down to the Metro. From the Metro map you will see that from the airport you must take Line 8 (the pink line) to Nuevos Ministerios Station and then change there onto the dark blue line for Tribunal. Then one more change onto the torquoise line for ATOSHA renfe (DO NOT get off at ATOSHA - wait for Atosha Renfe). At Atosha Renfe you can take a train to Pamplona.

If you decide to go by bus, you will need to get to MADRID (INTERCAM AV.AMERICA) bus station. There are buses at 10:30, 12pm, 2pm, 3pm: They take 5 hours and cost 27 euro.
From Pamplona you can wait for the 6pm bus to Roncesvalles or go by taxi.
I would recommend that you contact Caroline at Express Burricot (little donkey taxi service) who ferries people every day from Pamlpona to St Jean. If you are prepared to wait until the afternoon, she will arrange to fetch you and other pilgrims from the Bus Station in Pamplona at about 4:30pm. apcaroline@hotmail.com She charges 32 euro.

I would also suggest that you reserve a bed at the albergue Espirit de Chemin in St Jean - they fill up quickly and then you have to hunt for hotels or guest house accommodation. website http://www.espritduchemin.org. email hubertarno@espritduchemin.org (They close at the end of September).

I would also recommend that you book to stay at Orisson on the way up to Roncesvalles. Book a room ahead of time - they also fill up quickly. http://www.refuge-orisson.com/ Jean-jacques.etchandy@wanadoo.fr refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr

Good luck and buen camino!

Good post. Very good info for all!

And, since it is a question often repeated, I'd suggest that you either start another thread with this title in the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section or tack it onto the the end of the Pamplona-SJPdP thread already there

I wish I'd known about that taxi service when I went in '05 and spent about 90 E for that 'wild ride' around that very mountainous road! For a 60E savings I would have certainly waited until 1630!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the helpful posting. I really want to make the 4:30 pm taxi service--thanks for her email.

I just checked my flight--I am not flying with Iberia, so I don't think that changing my flight will work. I also just noted that I arrive at 9:35am in Madrid--is this enough time to get down and catch the train at the train station at 10:30am? I went to the train station last time and caught the train to Pamplona but as I recall, it took a while to get down there.

I'm interested in Iberia flights to Pamplona. I will check their website for flights. If anyone else has ideas, please let me know!

You might be pressing it a bit, with only one hour from the time your flight arrives to the time that the train leaves. Even if your flight arrives on time, you still have to wait for luggage (presuming you checked anything) & clear customs & immigration. Then comes the long walk to the Metro station, if you're arriving in Terminal 1.

I checked the Renfe site. The next train after the 10:35 leaves at 15:05. Too late to catch the taxi. :(

Iberia doesn't look much better. :( There is a 9:15 flight to Pamplona, but again, the next flight doesn't leave until 13:10. :(

I hope you can find something that will work for you! :)

Kelly

Why don't you email Caroline at Express Burricot and ask if she has a taxi collecting people at 5pm or 6pm? I'm sure there will be others at the bus station wanting to get to St Jean earlier. apcaroline@hotmail.com
I know that she has more than one vehicle and if there are 4 or more of you she charges 20 euro.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
HI Silly Doll and Wolverine

SO kind of you both to help me! I am curious about the Iberia flight to Pamplona--I will arrive Sunday 21 Sept at Madrid. Assuming that I take the Iberia flight at 13:15, that puts me in Pamplona at 14:10. Do you know if that gives me enough time to get to Roncesvalles in time for the 16:30 taxi service?

AT any rate, I will email the lady, as you recommended. Thanks!

Douglas B.

Douglas, do you mean will you get to Pamplona in time for the 16:30 bus to Roncesvalles? If so, yes, you should have plenty of time. It's my understanding that you can take the bus or get a taxi from the airport, although since you're arriving on Sunday, you might want to take a taxi to the bus station downtown as the airport busses might be on a reduced schedule.

Kelly

Hi there,
The 16h30 Express Burricott service leaves from Pamplona for St Jean so you will have plenty of time. The Bus station is close to the old quarter so you would even have time to do a bit of sight seeing in Pamplona before the taxi arrives. Here is a map of Pamplona. The dark line is the pilgrims' route through the town.

This map shows the logo for the bus station just to the left of the Parque de la Ciudadela.[attachment=1]Map_City_Pamplona_Camino.jpg

Attachments

• Map_City_Pamplona_Camino.jpg
    Map_City_Pamplona_Camino.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 1,151
  • pamplona-map.jpg
    pamplona-map.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,150
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Wolverine and Sillydoll

Hey! I just got an email from Caroline at Express Bus Services. She has agreed to pick me up in Pamplona, just as you later suggested. I have booked the flight.

I have to say, it is so very very kind of both of you to help me! Seriously, I am very touched! I had planned on losing a day getting to SJPP after getting to Madrid--and thanks to the two of you, I will be starting the Camino the very next day after I arrive in Spain!

Again--thank you so very much! It's so kind that strangers are willing to help a humble little pilgirm along his way! What a nice way to start my journey! :p
\
Dream catcher/Douglas B.

Good for you Douglas B!! You are truly on your way now.
We are all humble little pilgrims and I am SO jealous of you - I would give anything to be riding in the Express Burricot taxi over the Ibaneta Pass to St Jean Pied de Port!
Are you going to walk to Roncesvalles in one day? If not,you could stop over at Hunto (8km up) or Orisson (10km up the hill).

Glad to hear that, Douglas! Now, either get tons of sleep on the plane, or take it easy the first couple of days on the Camino so you can get over jet lag. Other than a long stretch between Larrasoana & Pamplona, there are places to stop along the way the first couple of days. Do as Sil suggests & get a reservation at either Hunto or Orisson. You'll be able to sleep in (a bit) & get a later start from SJPdP if you do & not have as long a day while your body adjusts to the time change.

And you're welcome. We peregrinos tend to stick together & help each other out, so pay it forward. :mrgreen:

Buen Camino!

Kelly

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi SIlly Doll and Wolverine!

I have tried to post this twice--we will see if this goes through this time! Thanks again for your help--it's such a nice way to start my Camino! I start Saturday night leaving Singapore--and I just can't wait! Thanks to you both, I will get a start the next morning after I arrive in Madrid, with waking up in SJPP!

I haven't found the two places on the map that you recommended--I assume that they are in the Pyranees? Anyway, to answer your question, I will try to make it to Roncesvalles---I am a pretty fit walker, and if Shirley MacLaine can do it, I can do it!

Douglas B
Singapore

Hunto & Orisson are the two hostales between SJPdP & Roncesvalles & the only places to stop along the Route Napoleon. So if you don't think you can make Roncesvalles in one day, you should make a reservation at one of those 2 places.

Buen Camino!!

Kelly

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back