• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to St. Jean Pied de Port

crad80

Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Camino Frances (2010 & 2013); Camino Portugues (2011)
Hi Everyone,

I am starting my first Camino walk next month. I am arriving in Madrid from the USA. What is the best way to go to St. Jean Pied de Port (i.e., my starting point)? I was planning on taking the train (Renfe) from Madrid to Pamplona; then taking a bus to St. Jean Pied de Port. Are buses available from Pamplona to St. Jean Pied de Port? Or are there alternative options available to me? Thanks in advance for any help and assistance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is a bus to Roncesvalles, but to get to SJP from there, you will have to take a taxi. There is also a taxi that will take you from Pamplona to SJP, but you have to make arrangements in advance. If you do a search, you can find many posts about it on the forum. :)

Kelly

Thanks for your assistance. Since this will be my first Camino, I am a real novice. I appreciate your help. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To add a few details to the responses: There is only one bus per day from Pamplona to Roncesvalles, leaving central Pamplona at 18:00 (6PM). It is approximately a one hour ride. Once arriving in Roncesvalles there are usually minibus taxis waiting to take people on to SJPP. As there will likely be other people who continue on to SJPP, you should be able to share the expense of that ride. It is easy to make all the connections.

Buen Camino

Glad someone came on with more information. :) As you're walking, stop in to the Tourist Information offices (TI) from time to time. They have mines of information on bus & train schedules, which are handy to have, just in case.

Kelly

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Congratulations on your upcoming Camino. I did mine last year from St Jean and it took me 33 days, not a day goes by that I don't think about it. Like you I traveled from the U.S. (as you can see from my screen name I live in San Diego. Anyway I wanted to pass along a little info on how I got to St Jean, I arrived in Madrid at about 7:30AM, and like you I took the train from the Atocha station, it left about 10 and arrived at about 1PM, to get to St Jean I took a shuttle service I found and highly recommend called Express Bourricot ,http://www.expressbourricot.com/en.html it cost about 24 euros and took about 2 hours, if you have any questions feel free to send me a PM I would be happy to answer. Buen Camino

"You could take a train from Madrid to Hendaya (http://www.renfe.es) then French SNCF train to St Jean 3.5; hours. http://www.voyages-sncf.com/" Sillydoll
ditto on what Sil said. I am stopping for the night in San Sebastian in June to eat! then continuing on to St Jean the next day...

Hi, Congratulations on your upcoming Camino. I did mine last year from St Jean and it took me 33 days, not a day goes by that I don't think about it. Like you I traveled from the U.S. (as you can see from my screen name I live in San Diego. Anyway I wanted to pass along a little info on how I got to St Jean, I arrived in Madrid at about 7:30AM, and like you I took the train from the Atocha station, it left about 10 and arrived at about 1PM, to get to St Jean I took a shuttle service I found and highly recommend called Express Bourricot ,http://www.expressbourricot.com/en.html it cost about 24 euros and took about 2 hours, if you have any questions feel free to send me a PM I would be happy to answer. Buen Camino

Where did you de-board the train to catch the shuttle?

Your suggestion sounds great but you do not mention where you connect with the shuttle to SJPP.

Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Where did you de-board the train to catch the shuttle?

Your suggestion sounds great but you do not mention where you connect with the shuttle to SJPP.

Thanks!

If you look at the website you will find they provide transportation (by pre-arrangement) to and from the following in Spain: Irun, Pamplona, Burgos, and Bilbao.
http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/services/personstrasportation.html

If you look at the Renfe site you will find there are trains from Madrid to all of these locations. http://www.renfe.com/index.html

So its your choice.

If you look at the website you will find they provide transportation (by pre-arrangement) to and from the following in Spain: Irun, Pamplona, Burgos, and Bilbao.
http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/services/personstrasportation.html

If you look at the Renfe site you will find there are trains from Madrid to all of these locations. http://www.renfe.com/index.html

So its your choice.

Thank you!

However, I am getting "cognitive overload" on trying to get from Madrid to SJPP.

Caroline [ at Express Bourricot ] so far has suggested:

Madrid Airport ---> Atocha [train] Station (center of Madrid, take taxi to Atocha) ---> ????? -----> CONDA [bus] Station ---->SJPP

Can anyone fill in the ?? blank? Is the ??? [blank] Pamplona or Roncesvalles?

Where would I get off the train for the CONDA and how to find the CONDA station?

Should I just check in with the "Tourist Information offices (TI)"? And are there signs that says "Tourist Information offices (TI)"?

Sorry, this is my first time.

Next time, I will be more informed. There is a lot of information and just as many "blanks" in the middle of it.

"Thank you" to anyone who can make it simple.

My flight does not depart for Madrid until 9 September 2014 but I would like to be prepared.

~

Hi there "San Diego"

Thank you for the above information.

I "PM" you four [4] times and would love to hear back from you.

Looking forward to connecting with you!

Thanks again.

~

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you!

However, I am getting "cognitive overload" on trying to get from Madrid to SJPP.

Caroline [ at Express Bourricot ] so far has suggested:

Madrid Airport ---> Atocha [train] Station (center of Madrid, take taxi to Atocha) ---> ????? -----> CONDA [bus] Station ---->SJPP

Can anyone fill in the ?? blank? Is the ??? [blank] Pamplona or Roncesvalles?

Where would I get off the train for the CONDA and how to find the CONDA station?

Should I just check in with the "Tourist Information offices (TI)"? And are there signs that says "Tourist Information offices (TI)"?

Sorry, this is my first time.

Next time, I will be more informed. There is a lot of information and just as many "blanks" in the middle of it.

"Thank you" to anyone who can make it simple.

My flight does not depart for Madrid until 9 September 2014 but I would like to be prepared.

~
Note the post from BHfmSanDiego is date stamped 3 March 2011 ... so he may still lurk here but likely not.

There is Metro from Barajas airport to Madrid train stations. There are two: Chamartin and Atocha. So make sure you know which train station yours leaves from. A taxi would be quite expensive.

The train stops in Pamplona at the Renfe station ... it does not go to Roncesvalles.

Conda is a bus company that runs a bus (seasonal only) from Pamplona Bus station to SJPdP.

The distance from the Pamplona Renfe (train) Station to the Pamplona Bus station is not far. I would suggest finding a google map of Pamplona.

See 'a compendium of useful links for travel from Madrid to SJPdP' here:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/traveling-to-from-the-camino.19/

In my opinion ... best way from Madrid to SJPdP is Renfe train from Madrid to Irun/Hendaye. SNCF train from Irun/Hendaye to Gare Bayonne. SNCF TER train from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

The bus from Madrid to San Sebastian (Donostia) and trains from there as per above (San Sebastian to Irun etc) would be the second best option but only because the bus runs more frequently.

Travel by way of Pamplona is least convenient option.

Google earth is a useful tool for finding the places in relation to other places. Train and bus stations are marked.

If you are bent and determined on taking express bouricott (an expensive option) they look to be best situated to pick you up at Irun and would probably prefer that you get to Biarritz airport (which does not have flights to Madrid). If you want to spend the bucks ... take the plane from Madrid to San Sebastian Airport. Its walking distance from there to the train station at Irun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note the post from BHfmSanDiego is date stamped 3 March 2011 ... so he may still lurk here but likely not.

There is Metro from Barajas airport to Madrid train stations. There are two: Chamartin and Atocha. So make sure you know which train station yours leaves from. A taxi would be quite expensive.

The train stops in Pamplona at the Renfe station ... it does not go to Roncesvalles.

Conda is a bus company that runs a bus (seasonal only) from Pamplona Bus station to SJPdP.

The distance from the Pamplona Renfe (train) Station to the Pamplona Bus station is not far. I would suggest finding a google map of Pamplona.

See 'a compendium of useful links for travel from Madrid to SJPdP' here:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/traveling-to-from-the-camino.19/

In my opinion ... best way from Madrid to SJPdP is Renfe train from Madrid to Irun/Hendaye. SNCF train from Irun/Hendaye to Gare Bayonne. SNCF TER train from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

The bus from Madrid to San Sebastian (Donostia) and trains from there as per above (San Sebastian to Irun etc) would be the second best option but only because the bus runs more frequently.

Travel by way of Pamplona is least convenient option.

Google earth is a useful tool for finding the places in relation to other places. Train and bus stations are marked.

If you are bent and determined on taking express bouricott (an expensive option) they look to be best situated to pick you up at Irun and would probably prefer that you get to Biarritz airport (which does not have flights to Madrid). If you want to spend the bucks ... take the plane from Madrid to San Sebastian Airport. Its walking distance from there to the train station at Irun.

~

Wow!

Thank you!

This is the most well-thought out, clear and concise response I've had to date! ¡much bueno!

I will definitely check all this out and I very much appreciate your effort to help out.

I am sure other "newbies" will benefit as well.

As for "BHfmSanDiego", I just hope that he is okay.

I personally messaged him four [4] times through his blog which emailed him directly without hearing back. In his post here, he is very friendly and sounds very eager to help so this concerns me that he is not well or unable to answer. That's all.

Again, ¡mucho gracias! and I would like to help others when I return from my pilgrimage 11 Nov 14 [ allowed a lot of time to visit Finesterre as well as other places ]. Taking my time to enjoy and learn.......

¡buen camino!

`

You could take a train from Madrid to Hendaya (http://www.renfe.es) then French SNCF train to St Jean 3.5; hours. http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

Are there versions of these sites that are in English? I search them for a conversion button but could not find one for English.

Which train station in Madrid [ Atocha? ] do I catch the train to Hendaya?

What is the best means [bus, taxi] to get from Madrid Airport to that train station?

Once in Hedaya, where do I go to find the SNCF train to SJPP?

Are there signs? Sorry, my first time going.

Thank you!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are there versions of these sites that are in English? I search them for a conversion button but could not find one for English.

Which train station in Madrid [ Atocha? ] do I catch the train to Hendaya?

What is the best means [bus, taxi] to get from Madrid Airport to that train station?

Once in Hedaya, where do I go to find the SNCF train to SJPP?

Are there signs? Sorry, my first time going.

Thank you!

On the SNCF Horaire website there is a small French flag upper right corner. Click on it to get a table of flags. Pick the British union jack and the page will convert to English.

SNCF Horaire
http://www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-train/horaires

Some Renfe trains leave from Madrid Puerta Atocha and others from Madrid Chamartin. You can click on the train (ie Alvia) to determine the itenerary.

You have a choice of Taxi, Bus, Commuter Train (Cercanius), or Metro subway. There is no best way ... they all have advantages and disadvantages.

Some Renfe trains only go as far as Irun while some go as far as Hendaye. There is an Euskotren commuter line that can be used to get from Irun to Hendaye (3km). SNCF TGV trains start in Irun. The SNCF TER trains start in Hendaye.

The Euskotren and Renfe trains that go to Hendaye stop at the same station from which SNCF trains leave from. You need only find the platform.

The SNCF train from Irun or Hendaye will only carry you as far as Gare Bayonne before they continue on North. You will need to transfer to another train from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

See this for more detail:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...-links-for-travel-from-madrid-to-sjpdp.23395/

SanDiego has not been to the Forum since May 11, 2013, so you may not hear from him.

The trains from Madrid to Hendaye take six to eight hours. The trains from Hendaye to SJPdP take two to three hours. With connect times, it may be a two day trip. Consider the bus from the Madrid airport to Pamplona, then the bus to Roncesvalles or SJPdP. It will take less time, I think. In Pamplona you just walk from one bus counter to the other for the connection (if your arrival and departure times meet up, that is).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
ArkBuilder:

I can understand your confusion.

This is what I would do. The first action is determined by which terminal you arrive at in Madrid.

If arrival is at T4 (terminal 4) you go downstairs and take the Cercanias train to Madrid Puerta de Atocha station. From this ticket agent you can purchase your ticket all the way through to Pamplona. Prior to leaving home, I would contact www.corazonpuro.es, they will pick you up at the train station in Pamplona, put you up for the night and drive you to SJPdP the next day for a reasonable fee.

If arrival is at T1 (terminal 1), you can take the airport bus from T1 to T4, and then follow the same process as above or take a cab directly from T1 to Madrid Puerta de Atocha station. The cost will be more than the train, about a 20km trip, but eliminate a couple of steps. This way you purchase your ticket to Pamplona at the train station. As above contact, www.corazonpuro.es

Hopefully this helps. Feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Ultreya,
Joe

ArkBuilder:

I can understand your confusion.

This is what I would do. The first action is determined by which terminal you arrive at in Madrid.

If arrival is at T4 (terminal 4) you go downstairs and take the Cercanias train to Madrid Puerta de Atocha station. From this ticket agent you can purchase your ticket all the way through to Pamplona. Prior to leaving home, I would contact www.corazonpuro.es, they will pick you up at the train station in Pamplona, put you up for the night and drive you to SJPdP the next day for a reasonable fee.

If arrival is at T1 (terminal 1), you can take the airport bus from T1 to T4, and then follow the same process as above or take a cab directly from T1 to Madrid Puerta de Atocha station. The cost will be more than the train, about a 20km trip, but eliminate a couple of steps. This way you purchase your ticket to Pamplona at the train station. As above contact, www.corazonpuro.es

Hopefully this helps. Feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Ultreya,
Joe
Hi Joe,
Just joined the forum and starting to browse questions/answers. I appreciate your information and wanted to ask you if you flew in and out of Madrid from Chicago. I will be doing the Camino in September and flying in from San Diego and wondered about getting back to Madrid from Santiago?
Also, how long was the trip from Madrid airport to Pamlona? What was the approximate cost if you recall? Did you book train prior to arrival?

This will be my first time and have SO many things to figure out! First booking flight from US and wasn't sure about Barcelona verses Madrid.
Thanks for any input.
Antoinette

Hi Joe,
Just joined the forum and starting to browse questions/answers. I appreciate your information and wanted to ask you if you flew in and out of Madrid from Chicago. I will be doing the Camino in September and flying in from San Diego and wondered about getting back to Madrid from Santiago?
Also, how long was the trip from Madrid airport to Pamlona? What was the approximate cost if you recall? Did you book train prior to arrival?

This will be my first time and have SO many things to figure out! First booking flight from US and wasn't sure about Barcelona verses Madrid.
Thanks for any input.
Antoinette

Antoinette:

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You can fly directly from Chicago to Madrid. I fly United and have a stop over in Newark. I am actually leaving again on March 31st to walk the Norte.

I always use Kayak as my search engine and set daily alerts. I checked the options from San Diego to Madrid and both British Airways and Iberia have one stop flights from SAN to MAD in September for $1177. I am not sure if that is a good fare or not. I suggest you log in to Kayak and set a daily alert on SAN to MAD during the time frame you wish to travel.

You can get from Santiago to Madrid by plane, train or bus. I have traveled by both plane and train. By plane Ryanair will always be the cheapest and has at least two flights a day. That said, you have to understand all their rules. They charge extra for almost everything and the charges add up fast. So what seemed like a cheap flight can quickly become expensive. If you follow all their rules it can be a cheap flight. By train Renfe, the train website, offers a couple of trains daily. You should be able to get a ticket for under 50 Euros and the trip takes 5 to 6 hours. You will arrive at the Chamartin train station and then you take the Cercanias train, approx. 3 euros) to the airport T4 terminal. More than likely you will have to spend a night in Madrid because most airlines only have one flight a day and they are morning flights. You could stay at the hotel in the train station Chamartin and the catch the Cercanias train in the morning. It runs every half hour and is about a 15 minute ride. You could also get a hotel nearer the airport. They will pick you up and drop you off the next day at no charge.

Madrid -Puerta de Atocha station to Pamplona is a 3hr 5min trip on the Alvia train. The cost should be less than 50 Euros but everything depends on when you buy ticket. There is also the time and cost to get to the train station as mentioned in my previous post.I purchase my tickets at the train station. If you are over 60, you can purchase a Tarjeta Dorada card and receive train ticket discounts. The card cost about 5 euros but will get you about a 30% discount.

Hopefully this information helps. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back