• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid underground?

Caminomary525

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
I have an airline ticket arriving in Madrid on Sunday October 6. Earlier I had determined to take Cercanias from Barajas T4 to Puerta de Atocha to catch a Renfe train to Pamplona. But Puerta de Atocha seems to have disappeared from the schedule!!!

I think I remember that there is construction on the Madrid underground. Anyone know for how long? Need an easy way for una abuela peregrina con solo un poco espanol to get to Pamplona.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Caminomary,
Not to worry, you must have just been looking at the wrong thing. Look at this map: http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/planos/madrid.html

You can clearly see that to get to Atocha (and here they mean the train station), you just hop on C1 and get off a few stops later. I have not heard or seen anything to indicate there is construction or closure of this stop, I can't imagine how they could do that anyway.

Depending on your bank account the easy way would be to fly! You can get there in an hour for a little over 100 euros. Always remember to book a roundtrip in Spain and throw away the return! Make sure you pick a "low fare" return date.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Depending on your bank account the easy way would be to fly! You can get there in an hour for a little over 100 euros. Always remember to book a roundtrip in Spain and throw away the return! Make sure you pick a "low fare" return date.

I seriously doubt that there are inner city flights in Madrid! Unless she rents a helicopter, but that would be more expensive than 100 Euro ... Really, have you actually read her question??? SY

I seriously doubt that there are inner city flights in Madrid! Unless she rents a helicopter, but that would be more expensive than 100 Euro ... Really, have you actually read her question??? SY
I meant to Pamplona!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Fly cheap to Pamplona if book early and times match
Bus from T4 to Pamplona direct was easy compared with train

I have mentined in a previous post that the madrid metro line c1 is closed until september for maintenance work. This is the line from barajas airport to madrid city centre. The section is closed from bilbao station to sol station. However the cercanias is still running. The cercanias should take you to atocha station.

Good luck and buen camino. Que dios los bendiga.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have mentined in a previous post that the madrid metro line c1 is closed until september for maintenance work. This is the line from barajas airport to madrid city centre. The section is closed from bilbao station to sol station. However the cercanias is still running. The cercanias should take you to atocha station.
Good luck and buen camino. Que dios los bendiga.

Thanks, piogaw, I didn't remember seeing this. But just to clarify, C1 is the Cercanias line, all metro lines in Madrid just have numbers. It is the metro line 1 that is closed between Bilbao and Sol. Metro line 1 doesn't go to the airport, but it is one of the lines you would have to transfer to in a trip from the airport to Sol under normal conditions.

The Cercanias line c1 from the airport is unaffected.

For anyone who will be navigating Madrid and needs to use the metro in that area until things are back to normal, there is a great map with workarounds at this website: http://ecomovilidad.net/madrid/la-linea-1-de-metro-cerrada-entre-bilbao-y-sol-hasta-septiembre

Buen camino

Thank you. The C1 maintenance is what has been worrying me. I knew I had read something about it.

Maybe it is a website issue but I wasn't able to pull up a Barajas T4 to Puerta de Atocha time table for Oct 6. Is it realistic to expect the maintenance work to be complete before Oct 6?

Only a month left before I begin. Big solo adventure for a late 60's, never-been-to-Europe, solo un pico de Espanol, abuela peregrina...

Caminomary, sorry if this is confusing.

The C1 Cercanias line from the airport to Atocha is open. No service problems.

To find schedules, go to this website: http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

You will see that there is a train every 30 minutes more or less on the half hour. It takes 26 minutes.

The Metro line 1 is closed for a short segment between the metro stops of Bilbao and Sol. That has nothing to do with the Cercanias line C1.

Hope this clears things up.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am in Pamplona and left T4 Barajas this morning - Cercanias to Atocha, Renfe to Pamplona. Do not worry. It is all good!

Thanks to all. I expect to be in Pamplona (from Madrid airport) one month from today.

(Was it the Kingston Trio that sang about the Boston Underground, "no, he never returned and his fate is still unknown"?). No, no. Won't happen to me. That's why I plan...

Hello everyone,

Mea culpa. Apology to everyone. The c1 line is the cercanias from madrid barajas airport to the city centre. This line is not affected by the maintenance work.

Yes margaret, you are correct. The number 1 madrid metro line is the one that is closed from bilbao station to sol station until september. The madrid metro number 1 does not go to the airport, but it is a line you will have to transfer from the airport to sol or atocha train station.

Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you. The C1 maintenance is what has been worrying me. I knew I had read something about it.

Maybe it is a website issue but I wasn't able to pull up a Barajas T4 to Puerta de Atocha time table for Oct 6. Is it realistic to expect the maintenance work to be complete before Oct 6?

Only a month left before I begin. Big solo adventure for a late 60's, never-been-to-Europe, solo un pico de Espanol, abuela peregrina...
I hope you have a fantastice experience!
Buen Camino!

The metro line 1 is open again. They opened it last sunday. But as peregrina2000 has said the faster way to arrive to Atocha is cercanias train.

Good to hear the metro line 1 is opened again. It has caused a lot of inconveniences to the metro riders and peregrinos passing through madrid.

Buen camino to all.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back