• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid Way App

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
Has anyone used the Madrid Way App by Peregrino Online? There is a free basic one and a premium version for which you pay a nominal amount. i have had problems with buying a kindle guide from Amazon in the past so I dont want to go down that route again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am interested in this thread too as I would like to get some offline maps (linked to GPS) for the Madrid, San Salvador and Primitivo. Wisely and/or Wise Pilgrim seem to get OK reviews. Mel

I am interested in this thread too as I would like to get some offline maps (linked to GPS) for the Madrid, San Salvador and Primitivo. Wisely and/or Wise Pilgrim seem to get OK reviews. Mel
DO NOT USE the wise pilgrim app for the San Salvador as it is way out of date and at one point diverts to what is a fairly dangerous track! I used it last Oct. The WP app for the Primitivo is fine. However, I suggest you look at WIKILOC if you use that you do not have to keep looking at your phone as it beeps if you move off track by a 100m or so and they definitely have a great track for the Primitivo.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used the WP app on the Primitivo and was very happy with it apart from one section which was out of date. I was hoping to get some feedback on the app for the Camino Madt

Sorry - typo. Madrid

DO NOT USE the wise pilgrim app for the San Salvador as it is way out of date and at one point diverts to what is a fairly dangerous track! I used it last Oct. The WP app for the Primitivo is fine. However, I suggest you look at WIKILOC if you use that you do not have to keep looking at your phone as it beeps if you move off track by a 100m or so and they definitely have a great track for the Primitivo.

I've heard of Wikilocs before, and it sounds great - especially as I'm led to believe it can be used while offline? But my questions are a) How badly does it drain the phones battery, and b) does it use any data or phone credit at all?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've heard of Wikilocs before, and it sounds great - especially as I'm led to believe it can be used while offline? But my questions are a) How badly does it drain the phones battery, and b) does it use any data or phone credit at all?
It does not use any phone credit but I guess it must use some data for the maps. However, neither the data use or battery use was significant. I ran wikiloc and another tracking app for most days and neither was an issue. I think it offered an option to use the maps off line but cannot remember. However, the tracking would still work without data you would just not see the map, but you would see the proposed track and your location.

Has anyone used the Madrid Way App by Peregrino Online? There is a free basic one and a premium version for which you pay a nominal amount. i have had problems with buying a kindle guide from Amazon in the past so I dont want to go down that route again.
Jenny
This is repeating info you may have already read.

GPS Tracks are available for ‘all’ Spanish routes and more . They download to maps.me app as easy as pie. All free and work without using data. Ie ‘offline ‘

They have been posted to resources by forum member @Thomas1962
Link below is the one. It also has instructions.

You can have your phone on aeroplane mode and access maps me too.

Buen camino
Annie

Last edited:
It does not use any phone credit but I guess it must use some data for the maps. However, neither the data use or battery use was significant. I ran wikiloc and another tracking app for most days and neither was an issue. I think it offered an option to use the maps off line but cannot remember. However, the tracking would still work without data you would just not see the map, but you would see the proposed track and your location.

Thanks, MikeJS - I'll investigate this more.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used the Premium version for the Silver Way (VDLP), the GPS overlay did not work on my android phone. It did however, work on my friend's Iphone.

Hmm, I used the WP app for the Salvador without much problem, though I do remember at least one place where I didn't follow it. Where was the dangerous track that you are referring to?

I used WP because my preferred app, Buen Camino, didn't cover the Salvador. I would have suggested Buen Camino for the Camino de Madrid, but it has been completely redesigned and currently has many bugs - primarily that it is very unstable and constantly crashes. Fingers crossed that the developers can fix it.

Hmm, I used the WP app for the Salvador without much problem, though I do remember at least one place where I didn't follow it. Where was the dangerous track that you are referring to?
It was the section after leaving Poladura heading to Pola de Lena

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.