• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Magic Moments / Lessons on the Camino

Icacos

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
  • We are all urged to get out there and let the Camino work its magic. I imagine that that magic is different for each of us. But how different and in what way? A lot of this magic may be personal and too close to the heart to be shared on a public Forum and I fully appreciate that. I am thinking of the little moments, the little interludes, the little interactions with other peregrinos and non-peregrinos that made us smile, that warmed our hearts, caused us to shift our focus, or recalibrate our thinking. Would anyone like to share?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
  • We are all urged to get out there and let the Camino work its magic. I imagine that that magic is different for each of us. But how different and in what way? A lot of this magic may be personal and too close to the heart to be shared on a public Forum and I fully appreciate that. I am thinking of the little moments, the little interludes, the little interactions with other peregrinos and non-peregrinos that made us smile, that warmed our hearts, caused us to shift our focus, or recalibrate our thinking. Would anyone like to share?
See my reply to post on 29 Jan re first timers nerves.

Hola

The magic lies within us all but can become dormant and forgotten in our everyday lives where we repeatedly perform duties or interact with the same persons.
The camino is one of many ways to reconnect with this core and I found that it was done with meeting and interacting with unfamiliar persons.
Their and my history was unimportant, and the true reality present; a meeting between two persons on our planet. So very simple.
7 Billions we are so far, so what gave these encounters another meaning than those I could have had in my home town or on other travels?
I think this came from the both of us. An openness and the changed conception of time one gets when one is walking a camino and we begin to forget the exact time of day and rely on the sun or our stomach again.
Maybe it is the combination of several things. Physical endurance, changed time, curiosity. renewal.
I do think sharing is some kind of base to it all. Sharing what we are doing at the same time and the same place; a long walk and what that is for a human being.

To answer your question I am thinking about a farmer I spoke with when I had stopped at his wine field.
He told me a little about how the field was maintained, the problems he had had the past year with the harvest and some about his children who were studying far away from home and therefor could not help him upholding the fields, yet he did not complain.
It was in many ways a small conversation, but it was pleasant and I felt I learned something.
I could probably have learned the same or more by seeking information on wikipedia about producing wine, but right there at that moment, it all gave perfectly sense to me.
I knew where I was and it gave me a clue to why I was there.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My totally magic moment occurred on the walk from Villafranca Montes de Oca to St. Juan de Ortega – a beautiful stretch – lots of ups and down – beautiful surroundings.

At one time during the walk, I sat down to take a rest, watched all the tiny brightly blue butterflies flittering around me.
Then suddenly fell into a state of feeling total happiness. – Feeling that I was so deeply into being happy. No reflections other than this happiness in this exact moment.

How often does this occur? – Sadly never felt it since.

annelise

Meeting six pilgrims in the woods on the Valcarlos route who shared wine and food with us on our first day out of St Jean. Some of these we met regularly on the way to Santiago and became our Camino family and good friends. That element of sharing set the standard for the whole way and we passed it on whenever we could.

Edit: These are some of the "Teddy Bears Picnic" group in the woods past Valcarlos.

Cam4.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Late in autumn walking long stretches alone through dense groves of tall fern, holm oak and pine on the camino path I crossed a Narnia-like wood which in incessant drizzle seemed almost bewitched. Yet happily while tramping through that wood as the November sun rose I sensed a special moment when everything 'clicked'. Then I realized that this was, indeed, MY way and that all was and would be good. Perhaps such secular transcendence felt while walking might be akin to what runners call 'the zone'. Your body can handle the task while your spirit glows with the effort. Neither easy, nor impossible; all simply is... Thus, you continue at peace.

When I asked for pan at the little shop in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos, the shopkeeper initially said he had none, but paused and then ducked out the back into the house. He came back with half a loaf and asked if that would be enough. I was so grateful, but even more so later when it dawned on me that it had come from the family table, not from a store-room.

What a great thread. I suspect there is depth even beyond the "magic". I came upon a group of women who were having one of those "Teddy Bear" picnics. Afterwards they invited me to join them in a memorial service for those who had died recently. You come so close to those you've never met in a split-second.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It was just after noon and I was going down the hill heading out of SJPP, at the very start of my Camino (and feeling quite fragile emotionally) when I heard someone calling out behind me. I turned around and saw the proprietress of the cafe where I had had breakfast earlier in the day running towards me. In her hands were my poles which, until then I had not realized I had left in her cafe. She said she had been looking out for me and hoping that I had not already set off. Such kindness ..... and I had barely begun my Camino. It still brings tears to my eyes.

January 2nd. El Ganso -León-
After 30Km. we arrive almost at night. No open hostels. The owner of the only small store welcomes us into her home. We are five pilgrims and she hasn't got bread for dinner. The lady sends her son-in-law to buy bread to Astorga (14 + 14 Km) for us.
Amazing.
Cosas del Camino.
The name of small store is - Tea and Coffee-

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ejem my wife and me atended mass at the catedral of Santiago , we where on tears when we look each other .
Whe had just arrived from Sjpdp by car on 5 days trip visiting as much as we could , and from there on we became adicted to the Camino !
It may sound stupid to you but it was a wonderfull experience to us, Five times we had been on the Camino since them , and or course wslking , NO BY CAR!

It was just after noon and I was going down the hill heading out of SJPP, at the very start of my Camino (and feeling quite fragile emotionally) when I heard someone calling out behind me. I turned around and saw the proprietress of the cafe where I had had breakfast earlier in the day running towards me. In her hands were my poles which, until then I had not realized I had left in her cafe. She said she had been looking out for me and hoping that I had not already set off. Such kindness ..... and I had barely begun my Camino. It still brings tears to my eyes.
I had the same thing happen in Rabanal. My landlady ran up the street after me with my gloves in her hand. The following morning it was about 5 degrees C!

I don't even remember where we were, (around Galicia) but we stayed in a wonderful albergue that was so clean, and it looked like it was out of a fairy tale. The staff served us this fabulous dinner of roasted pimentos and vegetables in the most colorful pots. Around the table was a couple from Switzerland, a gal from Normandy, a teacher from Vancouver, Canada, three women from Italy, a gal from Germany, a man from Madrid, a man from Paris, and us, two women from the U.S. Everyone spoke at least two languages, so each person could communicate with someone else. The absolute best of magical evenings! What a wonderful world!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Am fond of this saying: "Ultimately, magic will find you, if you let it."

as well as this one by Einstein:

“There are two ways to live: You can live as if nothing is a miracle; or, you can live as if everything is a miracle.”

and of course the classic: "God is Alive, Magic is Afoot" — Leonard Cohen

for me it was magic that i could walk the camino at all (i had to re-learn walking at one point in life) ..... that some steel/aluminum big bird brought me from far shores to Lisbon in a relative short time instead of weeks of ocean crossing via ship.... --- magic is about everywhere ....
el camino ... and life is full of magic ... if you allow yourself to be found by it :)
and i was found quite a few times on that camino too.

Good weekend everyone ---

Walking out of Pamplona in 2013, were I had a poor accommodation experience, I met a group of young school kids on a field trip with their teachers. There greetings were spontaneous and delightful, each wanted to know what country we came from and wished us well. This was a most wonderful experience as this kids were very genuine.

]

As you leave Uterga, on the stretch between Pamplona and Puente la Reina, you find yourself on a plateau, with the breeze caressing the wheat fields, Pamplona off in the distance. When I arrived there the sun was shinning, there was not a sole in sight. Felt like a moment of pure grace, made just for me. The freedom, the peace I felt... No stress, just pure beauty, pure bliss.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't even remember where we were, (around Galicia) but we stayed in a wonderful albergue that was so clean, and it looked like it was out of a fairy tale. The staff served us this fabulous dinner of roasted pimentos and vegetables in the most colorful pots. Around the table was a couple from Switzerland, a gal from Normandy, a teacher from Vancouver, Canada, three women from Italy, a gal from Germany, a man from Madrid, a man from Paris, and us, two women from the U.S. Everyone spoke at least two languages, so each person could communicate with someone else. The absolute best of magical evenings! What a wonderful world!
Could that have been the Casa Banderas in Vilachá, which is just a couple of km before Portomarín? The description and menu sound very much like what we experienced there. The hospitalero was a South African named Gordon Bell, who was a dead ringer (no pun intended) for the late actor Robin Williams. It was one of our favorites.

My totally magic moment occurred on the walk from Villafranca Montes de Oca to St. Juan de Ortega – a beautiful stretch – lots of ups and down – beautiful surroundings.

At one time during the walk, I sat down to take a rest, watched all the tiny brightly blue butterflies flittering around me.
Then suddenly fell into a state of feeling total happiness. – Feeling that I was so deeply into being happy. No reflections other than this happiness in this exact moment.

How often does this occur? – Sadly never felt it since.

annelise
Me too Annelise just like you describe and I was so happy I wept for joy wonderful . We need that experience a little more often in our lives but that's not to say I wasn't grateful for it just that one or two moments. Thank you for reminding me of it !

I don't know about magic but I had a strange moment in As Seixas last year. I was walking in really heavy rain and I understood that I shouldn't be able to see much of the lovely view of the hill with all the flowers in A Seixas as I have seen it on pictures. I was quite tired of the rain and I turn my head upwards and said "Hey can you please make it stop when I come to As Seixas, please?" This was a couple of km before. When I came to the hill there was a puddle on the asphalt whre you could see how heavy it was raining. I crossed it and put my feet on the path in the grass. And the rain just stopped. I turned around and looked in the water on the ground. Yes the rain had stopped. Then a thick fog rolled in and covered the view just before I had a chance to take a pic.
DSC02902.jpg

I turned up again and said "Thanks, next time I'll be more specific in my wishes, I wanted to see the hill, but thanks for getting rid of the rain." Then I sang "Blasphemous Rumours" by Depeche Mode "
I don't want to start
Any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's
Got a sick sense of humor
And when I die
I expect to find Him laughing

I must also mention the mass in Azúra last year I think I have written about it before. There were a group of Agostinos singing and playing and some nuns from different pats of the world dancing and speaking. It is one of my best memories all time of the Camino so far. When I'm sad I watch the video from their rehearsal outside the church.
I think you can see the video here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3NaDZf3dWTkALGvs6

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It had been a long, slow slog that day, up hills and down. My walking companion and I were tired and cold and delighted to arrive at the ancient albergue in the little pueblo. We waited outside for opening time. When the hospitalero arrived, by car, we queued up and filed indoors to be checked in. From where I was in the line, I could observe the goings on. The hospitalero stamped credentials and checked pilgrims in without ever exhibiting any sign of warmth or welcome - I thought this a bit of a let down after our hard day on the trail. As I waited my turn to be checked in, I had time to reflect on the situation……. The hospitalero had obviously arrived to perform the function of checking us in, and that he was doing. Beyond that, I had no way of knowing what might be going on in his life or what trials and tribulations he and/or his family might be dealing with, and I reminded myself that Spain was in deep financial trouble; he could have been dealing with any kind of difficulty. All I ‘wanted’ at that point (it wasn’t exactly a ‘need') was a hot shower and a bed to sleep in. Did I have a right to expect anything more from this inhospitable hospitalero? I decided I did not. I accepted this experience as a very gentle lesson in humility.

[Incidentally, my stay at this ancient albergue remains one of my more special Camino memories.]

…………………………..

This lesson in humility stood me in good stead several days later at the Gaucelmo albergue in Rabanal. I was again in the queue waiting to be checked in when I noticed a sign on the wall which said something to the effect that in some circumstances they do not accept pilgrims who have not carried their pack that day. When my turn came to be checked in, I felt compelled to admit that although I had carried my pack for three weeks, I had just a few days before, due to tendinitis, resorted to having it transferred by car, so ‘no,’ I had not carried my pack that day. They balked …. big time! … and were at pains to explain to me that they had to abide by the restrictions imposed on them by the village’s powers that be. Once again I felt compelled …. this time, to ask if they would like me to go elsewhere, and was told, “Yes, perhaps that would be best.” :oops::oops::oops::oops: In front of all those other pilgrims ….. I was mortified!

[To Gaucelmo's everlasting credit, after this occurred one of their hospitaleros walked me down the hill to another albergue (where, mercifully, I found my pack waiting for me) and, later that afternoon when I went back up to Guacelmo for their well-known afternoon tea (I had recovered by then) I received the warmest welcome, and more profuse apologies for their having had to abide by the rules.]

:D:DHowever, I still think fondly of this Camino experience as the day I was ‘ejected and rejected.'

The real magic of the Camino is the number of reprises you have after you return. It's been 16 months now since walking into Santiago in the rain. I don't think there's a day that goes by when some portion of a particular day comes to mind and it plays back in my mind like a trailer for a movie. And each time they're different!

One morning - I don't recall exactly which village I slept in - I had to begin walking without the comforting cup of café con leche I had grown accustomed to and was on the lookout for the nearest cup. After a few kilometers I reached the next village and began to follow handwritten signs that promised my coffee! In my haste, I didn't pay attention to whether or not I had left the Camino in my quest for coffee. After enjoying said cup, I started out again in what I assumed to be the right direction and after just a few steps I heard honking behind me. I turned to look and it was a garbage truck which I assumed wasn't honking at me and I took a few more steps; then more honking. I turned around again and the driver was motioning for me to come back the other way. I thanked him and found my way back to the camino. Several hours later, I had stopped for the day and was enjoying a cold beer at a bar next to my pension and a garbage truck pulled in. Same man. We grinned stupidly at each other and waved. Camino magic, indeed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One more - :rolleyes:. The same day the garbage truck driver helped me, I met a woman from Australia that afternoon while resting. She was doing her walk and recovering emotionally from a dissolved marriage.... The next day I struggled and cried much of the day and at some point realized that someone walking ahead of me was drawing hearts on the path every now and then and it made me smile and forget my tears until I walked up on her drawing yet another heart. It was the woman I met the afternoon prior. She said, "There isn't enough love in the world, so I'm leaving a little here and there." My tears returned, this time, tears of gratitude.

The road to Samos was a day of pure magic. Not that anything specific happened, but the coverging of a beautiful autumn day, the sun, the quietness of the path, all made for one of the best days of walking for me. I felt the spirits of so many who had walked before me, more than I did anywhere else on the Camino.

My first Camino was filled of magic moments, but one that I today find to be one of the finest was the moment when I realized I had no thoughts …

My first week was filled of crying and dark days. My backpack was heavy and so was my mind. As time went by I met some wonderful people to share my thoughts with, got rid of a lot of baggage as well as doing a lot of thinking. My mind and thoughts was like a bee-sworm. Slowlier my thoughts became more and more quiet and one day on the Meseta I stopped after realizing that it was totally empty inside my head. I was one with the step and maybe for the first time of my life completely mindful. It didn't last very long … BUT I noticed it and since then I have changed my life very much.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Another very special occasion was the moment I arrived to the airport in Santiago and met "normal" people. The lack of glittering, shining eyes was a complete chock. All those expressionless faces, dead eyes, stressed people … If not before, it really sunk in how special the Camino is with all love, compassion and comradeship.

Getting so pissed in Pamplona one night I could only find my way back to my albergue by following the scallops on the street, in the opposite direction (my albergue was located very near to the entrance to Pamplona, and had no curfew;))

My first Camino was filled of magic moments, but one that I today find to be one of the finest was the moment when I realized I had no thoughts …

I had the same experience. I called them my moments of serenity. It was when all the inner monologues stopped and I was just at peace. Feeling the sun on my face, the breeze...whatever.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I completed my first Camino in 2008. Like most pilgrims I experienced a deluge of life changing experiences like after the first day on the Napoleon Route. Arriving in Roncesvalles having crossed into Spain without incident. At that precise moment approaching the stream just before the village I realized that I was capable of anything. There was so much doubt about my physical ability to endure the rigors of an 850 k pilgrimage. I could feel the weight of that anxiety rise out of me and that afternoon I felt I could conquer the world.

That was a special moment but the moment of most magic for me was the following year on my second CF.

We have all experienced the phenomena of the Camino family. In 2008 I was no different and for the 33 days of my Camino I made friendships that continue to this day. As I entered Puente la Reina in 2009 I was tired and looking forward to a good rest at the albergue. I showered and visited the church and headed back for a pre dinner nap.

As I approaced the albergue I thought I saw a familiar face but shook it off as a mirage. As I got closer I realized that there was more than 1 familiar face. Four friends from my first Camino were sitting on the car park rail waiting for me. One had come from Madrid, one from Belgium and 2 from Barcelona to meet me. I had told one of them of my 2nd camino plans and they conspired to ambush me!

I was a puddle! I don't think that there is a word or phrase that could describe the joy I experienced that evening over dinner and into the wee hours of the night as we remenisced and caught up. It remains to this day second only to the birth of my children as the highlight of not just my caminos but of my life.

So a huge thank you to Patrick, Mercedes, Amparo and Rosa! I think of you and that moment often.

Wonderful thread Icacos and beautiful posts everyone -

I had a magical moment of connection with pilgrims at Refugio Gaucelmo at Rabanal last July, where I had the privilege to serve as an Hospitalera. We had some Irish pilgrims - a small group of friends who had walked from Madrid - and they were so talented musically. A group of us were in the salon late in the evening listening to the friends sing Irish folk songs, ballads and current stuff. They were taking requests so I asked if they knew my all-time favourite song - Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl - they did! Hearing them sing my favourite song was really special - it was such a lovely musical gift and it remains one of the highlights of my time there.

Cheers - Jenny

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A moment I remember, and which always makes me smile, is when my sister told me that she will never forgive her (now ex) boyfriend for rushing her over the Hill of Forgiveness :)

I completed my first Camino in 2008. Like most pilgrims I experienced a deluge of life changing experiences like after the first day on the Napoleon Route. Arriving in Roncesvalles having crossed into Spain without incident. At that precise moment approaching the stream just before the village I realized that I was capable of anything. There was so much doubt about my physical ability to endure the rigors of an 850 k pilgrimage. I could feel the weight of that anxiety rise out of me and that afternoon I felt I could conquer the world.

That was a special moment but the moment of most magic for me was the following year on my second CF.

We have all experienced the phenomena of the Camino family. In 2008 I was no different and for the 33 days of my Camino I made friendships that continue to this day. As I entered Puente la Reina in 2009 I was tired and looking forward to a good rest at the albergue. I showered and visited the church and headed back for a pre dinner nap.

As I approaced the albergue I thought I saw a familiar face but shook it off as a mirage. As I got closer I realized that there was more than 1 familiar face. Four friends from my first Camino were sitting on the car park rail waiting for me. One had come from Madrid, one from Belgium and 2 from Barcelona to meet me. I had told one of them of my 2nd camino plans and they conspired to ambush me!

I was a puddle! I don't think that there is a word or phrase that could describe the joy I experienced that evening over dinner and into the wee hours of the night as we remenisced and caught up. It remains to this day second only to the birth of my children as the highlight of not just my caminos but of my life.

So a huge thank you to Patrick, Mercedes, Amparo and Rosa! I think of you and that moment often.
WWWWOOOOWWWW!!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Getting so pissed in Pamplona one night I could only find my way back to my albergue by following the scallops on the street, in the opposite direction (my albergue was located very near to the entrance to Pamplona, and had no curfew;))
Not you Mark:p!

Maybe having the pilgrim sitting in the pew in front of me in the Cathedral turning around and asking if I was AlTheOptimist! Yes, I remember that HealthyToo! :)
Al, I might be able to top that after I had dinner with Jenny H in Rabanal and later shared the Sunday Mass with her in SdC when the Botafumeiro swung twice and later enjoyed pulpo with Jenny, ChilledKat and AJ.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.