• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Magna Via Francigena opens in Sicily

MichaelC

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023: Via Francigena, Lucca to Rome
Well this just looks wonderful: This past June a pilgrim's association in Sicily inaugurated the Magna Via Francigena between Palermo and Agrigento.

The English version of the website is still in Italian ... but here are the basics:
  • It was one of the four great roads in Sicily under the Normans
  • It's 180 km, divided into nine stages of 20 to 26 km.
  • They have a credenziali that allows you access to pilgrim services
  • They have a testimonium for those who walk 100 km, or bike 150 km
  • Signs are 'in the process of being put up.'
  • There's no baggage service yet.
  • The via is more 'spiritual' and historical-cultural than religious. (Their words, not mine!)
And here's the video that caught my attention: Il cammino di Sicilia

... well I'm just falling right down the rabbit hole with this one. It looks like this is part of a larger project, the Cammini Francigeni di Sicilia, that has documented more historic routes on the island. My Italian isn't the best, but I get the impression that most of these aren't organized or developed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Don't you just love the Italians! This looks gorgeous - and hilarious. Talk about jumping on the bandwagon. If they manage to get enough people to actually flatten a path through the wheat-fields (assuming the farmers are onboard) and put some boards over the river so we don't have to ford it, then I'm in!

I spent three weeks in Sicily last fall and my husband, who is not prone to hyperbole (unlike his wife) pronounced it our best trip in 38 years of marriage. This camino goes from Palermo (which is a not to be missed city, don't think slums and mafia, think romanesque, great food, markets and museums!) to Agrigento (temple after temple after temple, amazing). But in summer it would be worse than Andalucia I think. And many of the most beautiful parts of Sicily are not on this route, though I imagine that there will be extensions.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well this just looks wonderful: This past June a pilgrim's association in Sicily inaugurated the Magna Via Francigena between Palermo and Agrigento.

The English version of the website is still in Italian ... but here are the basics:
  • The via is more 'spiritual' and historical-cultural than religious. (Their words, not mine!)

... well I'm just falling right down the rabbit hole with this one. It looks like this is part of a larger project, the Cammini Francigeni di Sicilia, that has documented more historic routes on the island. My Italian isn't the best, but I get the impression that most of these aren't organized or developed.
Hope to walk this route soon.

I have been to Agrigento and Palermo but my husband was ill. Palermo is beautiful despite hospital etc,. So a dream to be realised would be to walk Agrigento to Palermo..so fingers crossed and hip surgery permits NEXT YEAR!!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I spent three weeks in Sicily last fall and my husband, who is not prone to hyperbole (unlike his wife) pronounced it our best trip in 38 years of marriage. This camino goes from Palermo (which is a not to be missed city, don't think slums and mafia, think romanesque, great food, markets and museums!) to Agrigento (temple after temple after temple, amazing). But in summer it would be worse than Andalucia I think. And many of the most beautiful parts of Sicily are not on this route, though I imagine that there will be extensions.
I spent a month in Sicily once - I agree Palermo is outstanding and no Mafia or problems at all. Just lovely people. And Vesuvius., oh my!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, a friend and I plan to hike the Magna via Francigena from Palermo to Agrigento in Mid-May. I am reading that there are some dangers to doing this. Do you have any comments me as to how safe it was to do this hike when you did it?. One issue I have read is that owners are letting their dogs run wild. Any information that can be provided will be appreciated. I am also interested in hearing your overall experiences df doing this trek, Thanks.

Hi, a friend and I plan to hike the Magna via Francigena from Palermo to Agrigento in Mid-May. I am reading that there are some dangers to doing this. Do you have any comments me as to how safe it was to do this hike when you did it?. One issue I have read is that owners are letting their dogs run wild. Any information that can be provided will be appreciated. I am also interested in hearing your overall experiences df doing this trek, Thanks.
Sorry if I gave the impression that I have walked this route. My time in Sicily has been strictly as a car tourist. But it was a fabulous trip, so I imagine it is a great walk. What dangers are you reading about?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh my, we may just have to make this our next camino. Both of my husband's parents families are from Sicily, specifically Agrigento. We had the pleasure of visiting for the first time six months before the pandemic began. Now I have to investigate this camino. Unfortunately he does not speak Sicilian, not even Italian so it will be a bit more difficult than walking in Spain. 🥰
🥾🥾

I'm thinking of doing this in May. It Iooks great! I speak very passable Italian, but am worried that won't work in Sicily. How do the hikers get by? Is there enough English spoken, or will they be tolerant in understanding my northern Italian?

I'm thinking of doing this in May. It Iooks great! I speak very passable Italian, but am worried that won't work in Sicily. How do the hikers get by? Is there enough English spoken, or will they be tolerant in understanding my northern Italian?
You should be fine with standard Italian - certainly that's going to be more useful than English! I haven't walked in Sicily in really remote areas but just traveling around some cities and towns, I had no problem with Italian.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's true the Sicilian dialect is really dense, but the schools and national media are in standard Italian (actually the Florence dialect because that's the one Dante wrote in, I've heard), so almost everybody can understand and speak it. Sorry for the confusion, I was being flippant. I speak just a little Italian, and I couldn't understand the dialect, but simple questions and negotiations were fine. Lots of people speak English as well.

Last edited:
The Magna Via Francigena. There are 3 gpx different trails and an app "Magna Via Francigena" for Android.
If, post surgery, I cannot do a longer route to Santiago I am thinking of this route.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Magna Via Francigena. There are 3 gpx different trails and an app "Magna Via Francigena" for Android.
If, post surgery, I cannot do a longer route to Santiago I am thinking of this route.

I had to cancel my trip last Spring but am due to start this on September 29. Anything special I should look out for? Wish me luck!!

I had to cancel my trip last Spring but am due to start this on September 29. Anything special I should look out for? Wish me luck!!
Hi Carole, Sorry, I can’t help you with your question, but I encourage you to post about your experiences after or during. It’s a route I’m very interested in, having spent some time in wonderful Sicily. Have a great time!

Hi, my name's Roberto, I'm Italian and live in the north of Italy (Milano). I'm also interested about MVF, but all I found abuout this way is in italian language.
I try to help you with my poor english.
@Stephan the Painter: Etna is in Sicily, Vesuvio is near Napoli. Is not the true "Lots of people speak English as well". Is hard find Italians speacks english out touristic places, but they are generally kindly and try to help you even if they don't understand your language.
@Annetom You see 3 gpx because one is for hike, one is for bike, one is for horse.
Here some useful information
Credenzial (Credenziale)
http://www.viefrancigenedisicilia.it/credenziale.php (some information are in english, Google translate is ok)
Stamps (timbro) (be careful with Google translate, Corleone become Lionheart)
Compostela (Testimonium in latin) (Google translate is ok)
Request gpx (Google translate is ok)
Accomodation (PDF file)

And now the big problem: last November the MVF was declared NOT SAFE because the dogs
(Google translate maybe ok but "sure" mean "safe")
They are guard dogs not farm dogs. Some are barky but chained. Others are roaming free (the gate is inexistent or open).
In March the MVF organization said the way is safe, but some pilgrims was attacked by dogs.
(Google translate maybe ok but sure mean safe)
So Carol, please please please, don't go alone and take spray pepper with you. If you can, change "Camino".
Ciao

@carol0454 If you are interested walk in Italy, take a look to "Cammino del Salento" (I completed it last week) from Lecce to Santa Maria di Leuca or "Cammino Materano" from Bari to Matera. Ciao

Grazie Roberto per l'aggiornamento. Che pena che questa via non sia sicura in questo momento. Io la farei volentieri altrimenti.

Thanks Roberto for your update. What a shame that this route is not safe at the moment. I would gladly do it otherwise.

@carol0454 If you are interested walk in Italy, take a look to "Cammino del Salento" (I completed it last week) from Lecce to Santa Maria di Leuca or "Cammino Materano" from Bari to Matera. Ciao
Thanks for the suggestion! Next on my list is the Via Francigena starting at St. Bernard's Pass.
Hi, my name's Roberto, I'm Italian and live in the north of Italy (Milano). I'm also interested about MVF, but all I found abuout this way is in italian language.
@Stephan the Painter: Etna is in Sicily, Vesuvio is near Napoli. Is not the true "Lots of people speak English as well". Is hard find Italians speacks english out touristic places, but they are generally kindly and try to help you even if they don't understand your language.
@Annetom You see 3 gpx because one is for hike, one is for bike, one is for horse.
Credenzial (Credenziale)
http://www.viefrancigenedisicilia.it/credenziale.php (some information are in english, Google translate is ok)
Accomodation (PDF file)

And now the big problem: last November the MVF was declared NOT SAFE because the dogs
They are guard dogs not farm dogs. Some are barky but chained. Others are roaming free (the gate is inexistent or open).
In March the MVF organization said the way is safe, but some pilgrims was attacked by dogs.
So Carol, please please please, don't go alone and take spray pepper with you. If you can, change "Camino".
Ciaoby myself
Thanks so much for all this information!

I decided, after carrying everything for 2 Caminos, to have the bags transported so I'm working with Sloways. Also, as you said, the guidebooks are in Italian & Sloways has an app. They've assured me that these problems have been tackled. I'm going by myself.

I like the idea of taking pepper spray. I live near Yellowstone National Park, with plenty of grizzly bears. Around here we call it bear spray & I'm used to carrying it. Luckily I've never had to use it!

I'm hoping I will meet other pilgrims on the trail. 10 days until I start!

Thanks again!

Ciao
Thanks for letting people know here. Since it was guard dogs, that are guarding a specific place, It would be interesting to know where the attacks happened? So a walker can be extra careful at those areas.

@art4web Do you know? Thank you.

Apologies about mixing up Etna and Vesuvius. I must’ve been sleeping that day!

Last edited:
As I said, I live in the north, This is what I read
First comment at this Facebook link.
Giovanni Virzì is a doctor and live in Caltanissetta, near the MVF. He report dog attak between Corleone and Santa Cristina di Gela.
This is between Gela and Licata, last 1st of August, but it's randagism

Last edited:
LOL... when I was in Sicily this summer - I flew into Palermo and then thought - I will just walk the coast towards Catania and see how far I get. Well - not only was it too hot (July) - but trying to walk in Palermo with their crazy traffic took that idea right out of my mind! Walking in Palermo was insane and stressful. And having crossing lights for pedestrians didn't help at all.

Still - I would love to do this hike someday - but I need to make sure it is a cooler month and I still don't think I will want to walk IN Palermo! I mean - by the time I left the city I was doing better at stepping into traffic that was coming at me while praying they actually stop lol - but I still didn't love it. Catania was much easier/safer to walk in though. And I am sure it isn't so bad on the country roads in between Agrigento/Palermo - Palermo is just the worst city I have ever tried walking in. And I have walked in New York, Los Angeles, Paris, Rome, etc... never was I as stressed about attempting to cross a busy street as Palermo!

LOL... when I was in Sicily this summer - I flew into Palermo and then thought - I will just walk the coast towards Catania and see how far I get. Well - not only was it too hot (July) - but trying to walk in Palermo with their crazy traffic took that idea right out of my mind! Walking in Palermo was insane and stressful. And having crossing lights for pedestrians didn't help at all.

Still - I would love to do this hike someday - but I need to make sure it is a cooler month and I still don't think I will want to walk IN Palermo! I mean - by the time I left the city I was doing better at stepping into traffic that was coming at me while praying they actually stop lol - but I still didn't love it. Catania was much easier/safer to walk in though. And I am sure it isn't so bad on the country roads in between Agrigento/Palermo - Palermo is just the worst city I have ever tried walking in. And I have walked in New York, Los Angeles, Paris, Rome, etc... never was I as stressed about attempting to cross a busy street as Palermo!

I completed the path yesterday. It was lovely! I saw plenty of dogs but absolutely no problem. Most were inside fences, a very few chained up, a handful watching over their sheep and a couple came to say hello. It was totally safe! I am very familiar with lots of dogs so that may have helped.

Regardless, I encourage others to do it!

Off topic…nothing to do with Sicily :)

Just to update - Roberto knows this and has been most helpful with advice.

I am currently walking the Via Ellenica from Matera to Brindisi, mostly therefore in Puglia. It is quite extraordinary in its concept as a project starting just before the first lockdown. The best example I have seen of something organised professionally by volunteers, if you know what I mean.
There are a group of bidirectional walks called Cammino Materano. For almost every tappa there is a ‘responsabile’ with amazing personal touch. Virtually all (very well discounted) B&B with occasional ostello. The owner rings up and wants to come and chat and greet. Fabulous countryside. Unbelievable weather, though atypical for October/November.

You do need Italian I would say to get the most out of it because little English spoken. But whatever you can muster will add to your enjoyment.

I will write something when I get home.

www.camminomaterano.it

After Brindisi I will finish the last bit of VF del Sud from Brindisi to S. Maria di Leuca. It’s the only bit I have not yet done onward from GSB. And that is where Roberto’s advice comes in. It will be a bit of mix and match of VF and Camino Di Salento and two days in Lecce thrown in. It is a bit difficult for accommodation out of season, but I have found something with just the odd longer day to find somewhere - I never camp!

At the half way point, I cannot recommend Cammino Materano highly enough. It is something completely different. Also blissfully solitary. I met my first three pilgrims walking in opposite direction today after 8 days of walking. But I have met wonderful people in each place I have stayed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
At the half way point, I cannot recommend Cammino Materano highly enough.
Sounds amazing! I have travelled in Puglia (and Matera) but not as a pilgrim, which always adds an extra dimension or two. And having just walked the Via di Francesco, I’m all about walking in Italy at the moment, so this sounds like a great option for the future!

I completed the path yesterday. It was lovely! I saw plenty of dogs but absolutely no problem. Most were inside fences, a very few chained up, a handful watching over their sheep and a couple came to say hello. It was totally safe! I am very familiar with lots of dogs so that may have helped.

Regardless, I encourage others to do it!
Hi Carol,

I'll be doing this walk in March, I'd love to know if you have any recommendations for future travellers such as myself. What were some the highlights of the trip? Are there any accommodation and food outlets that you would particularly recommend? How easy was it to find water along the route?

Thanks,

Dan

We are walking it in late April. Also interested in tips about accommodations and “must sees”. I’ve heard The Valley of Temples outside Agrigento is not to be missed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Credenzial (Credenziale)
Accomodation (PDF file)

Ciao
Roberto,
Are you saying she should not walk alone because of the dogs or because a woman alone is in danger of other things?

IMHO you can walk alone, man or woman, without problems.
Facebook's MVF official page says between March and April 2022 sent 460 credentials, they could increase in 2023, but probably won't be many pilgrims on the way.
Facebook link credential

I haven't read about dog attacks in the last few weeks, I think the problem still remains. I'm awaiting response from a pilgrim who was on the MVF last December

@Acoupar: Keep in mind that April 25th is holiday in Italy and prices increase.
Cattedrale di Palermo, Duomo di Monreale, Valle dei Templi are some of the "must see" on MVF
Useful links:
https://www.siciliaweekend.info/2021/06/11/magna-via-francigena/ (Italian language, use Google translate)
Accomodation (PDF file) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fwn4IJ8YOZNr-IlbCexWb2j6t__EKzHk/view?usp=sharing

I keep on getting annoyed by this use of "Francigena" for some pilgrimage routes, maybe hiking ones, having nothing to do with any Via Romea routes and having nothing to do with France (Francigena meaning literally "from France"), though to be fair the southern Italian routes heading towards Greece, Jerusalem, etc through Rome do have a better claim to it.

What next, start calling the traditional Via Romea routes from Germany and Poland "Francigena" as well ?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I keep on getting annoyed by this use of "Francigena" for some pilgrimage routes, maybe hiking ones, having nothing to do with any Via Romea routes and having nothing to do with France (Francigena meaning literally "from France"), though to be fair the southern Italian routes heading towards Greece, Jerusalem, etc through Rome do have a better claim to it.
Sicily was conquered and ruled by the Normans for a couple hundred years in the Middle Ages, & I think the “Francigena” in this case refers to it being a Norman route.

Though the Normans were more prone to crusading and conquering than going on pilgrimage … now that I think about it I suspect this was a ‘via’ more for knights than pilgrims.

Sicily was conquered and ruled by the Normans for a couple hundred years in the Middle Ages, & I think the “Francigena” in this case refers to it being a Norman route.
It clearly derives from the mistaken, and modern notion that the Way to Rome is "the Francigena", whereas that name is proper only to those routes coming from France itself, whether "starting" in Canterbury or the mountain route from Arles, or variants thereof.

The proper general name is Via Romea. It's what the Roman pilgrim credenziali use.

What next, start calling the traditional Via Romea routes from Germany and Poland "Francigena" as well ?

The Via Magna Francigena is legitimately named: “… let us go back to Sicily and to the important rediscovery of an almost millenary itinerary, known by Christians and Muslims, Romans and Byzantines, Moors and Normans: the Magna Via Francigena. As its continental sister, the route gets its name by the fact it was officialised as an itinerary by the Normans (who were, alas, French). First attested in a Greek language document dating 1096, this 160 km-long route historically connected the Arab Balarm to the rock of Agrigentum, Palermo to Agrigento…”. A route to Rome and an important link from Northern Africa. Utilized by pilgrims, as well as traders, merchants etc.

I looked up what the Italians themselves say about it. From the official website Mettici Manu!

The route is an older transhumance route connecting Agrigento to Palermo. In 1096 there was a diploma in Greek that read: Ten odon, ten megalen ten Fragkikon tou Kastronobou. I don't read Greek and I can't find a proper translation beyond that Fragkikon is "Frankish road.” I also can't find who gave the diploma to whom, though I haven't looked very hard.

In the 12th Century the Empress regent and Queen of Sicily Costanza d'Altavilla had the diploma translated into Latin as magna via Francigena castronobi.

The Arabs called the route tarik al askar, which was translated to Latin as via exercitus, the "army road." This seems to have been the more common name.

The thing that gives me pause is the ® on the website after Magna Via Francigena. It seems odd to have a camino with a registered, trademarked name.

Last edited:
Hi Carol,

I'll be doing this walk in March, I'd love to know if you have any recommendations for future travellers such as myself. What were some the highlights of the trip? Are there any accommodation and food outlets that you would particularly recommend? How easy was it to find water along the route?

Thanks,

Dan
Hi Dan,

Hopefully you can see these photos. I've skipped including ones of Palermo & Agrigento. I enjoyed being in the heart of Sicily & it's very rural. I'm fascinated by the diverse history of invasion of the Island- Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Byzantines, Normans.

I did a self guided tour & was very glad I had the app with directions. The towns are small. They're excited about getting the trail on the map, but it's taking time.

The people are very friendly! Knowing Italian is valuable, but Google translate will help.

Feel free to reach out if you want more info!

Magna Via Francigena photos

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Dan,

Hopefully you can see these photos. I've skipped including ones of Palermo & Agrigento. I enjoyed being in the heart of Sicily & it's very rural. I'm fascinated by the diverse history of invasion of the Island- Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Byzantines, Normans.

I did a self guided tour & was very glad I had the app with directions. The towns are small. They're excited about getting the trail on the map, but it's taking time.

The people are very friendly! Knowing Italian is valuable, but Google translate will help.

I should be there early May - So far I have zero maps/ accommodation ideas. If you have any thing of use it would be greatly appreciated.

I should be there early May - So far I have zero maps/ accommodation ideas. If you have anything to use it would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,

First of all, it's awesome, but not very well marked, although they're hard at work on it! I did a self guided trip so I wouldn't have to carry my bag. I think more & more maps are coming out. It's very rural, nothing like the Camino. I really preferred it this way. I do speak some Italian which was very helpful but I think google translate will work. The people are so friendly! I only saw 8 other piklgrims to whole way.
I got my first stamp at the hostel in Palermo.
I did it in a 7 day walking trip, after spending a couple of days in Palermo. I got a ride out to Santa Cristina & then walked to Corleone (19km) stayed at Leone D'Oro. Day 2 Corleone to Prizzi (19km) The House of Kokalo. Day 3 Prizzi to Cammarata (24km) Casale Margherita Day 4 Cammarata to Sutera (15km),A B&B -can't remember the name Day 5- Sutera to Racalmuto (23km)Hotel Regalpietra Day 7 Racamuto to Aragona (12km) then train to Agrigento, Colleverde Park Hotel - 1 night then to an airbnb for 4 nights.

I absolutely loved it, again partially because it didn't have so many people. Feel free to get in touch if you want more info

Hi Dan,

I had the app with directions --- Hu - What was the app that you used.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

First of all, it's awesome, but not very well marked, although they're hard at work on it! I did a self guided trip so I wouldn't have to carry my bag. I think more & more maps are coming out. It's very rural, nothing like the Camino. I really preferred it this way. I do speak some Italian which was very helpful but I think google translate will work. The people are so friendly! I only saw 8 other piklgrims to whole way.
I got my first stamp at the hostel in Palermo.
I did it in a 7 day walking trip, after spending a couple of days in Palermo. I got a ride out to Santa Cristina & then walked to Corleone (19km) stayed at Leone D'Oro. Day 2 Corleone to Prizzi (19km) The House of Kokalo. Day 3 Prizzi to Cammarata (24km) Casale Margherita Day 4 Cammarata to Sutera (15km),A B&B -can't remember the name Day 5- Sutera to Racalmuto (23km)Hotel Regalpietra Day 7 Racamuto to Aragona (12km) then train to Agrigento, Colleverde Park Hotel - 1 night then to an airbnb for 4 nights.

I absolutely loved it, again partially because it didn't have so many people. Feel free to get in touch if you want more info
It is on my “Bucket” list!

Have you tried to cross roads in Ho Chi Minh city, well the 90s in particular was really scary.

Have you tried to cross roads in Ho Chi Minh city, well the 90s in particular was really scary.
No... never been there, so I will take your word for it! So far for me - Palermo has been the scariest. I remember some of the very early video games... there was one called "leaper" where the frog had to try to cross the road avoiding all the oncoming traffic... I felt like I was that frog!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The area around Agrigento is fascinating!
I will be a couple of weeks behind you - I will look forward to your posts on any recommendations - Have a great walk.

We start the MVF in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it, apart from reports of aggressive guard dogs on parts of the trail. Hoping the issue has been addressed by the time we start.

We start the MVF in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it, apart from reports of aggressive guard dogs on parts of the trail. Hoping the issue has been addressed by the time we start.
I saw no aggressive dogs last fall. Some were tied up, some stayed close to their houses, and some came to say hello. All were friendly. Hope you enjoy the trek as much as I did!

€46,-
I will be a couple of weeks behind you - I will look forward to your posts on any recommendations - Have a great walk.
Am not walking at the moment, however I visited Agrigento years ago and loved it! No walking until my new hip has really settled and
I can get fit again! Next year, hopefully I’ll walk the Norte, deviate to Oviedo and on to Santiago! My dream!🤞

We completed the MVF on May 2/23. A beautiful hike in stunning scenery. Spent 3 nights in Palermo then bussed out of the urban core to Monreale. Hiked the route in 9 stages. Very challenging in places, steep ascents and steep descents. People were very friendly. My credential is complete and I received a diploma at the Agrigento Cathedral. We had no difficulty with way marking. Also used AllTrails and Osmand. Aggressive roaming dogs at last stage into Agrigento but the ultrasonic whistle put them off.😁 Now we are hiking the Camino Madrid.

Last edited:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am interested in walking in Sicily and have had the route details for years. Visited Agrigento, and Palermo on different occasions. That is the nearest Camino to Malta (except the local one) so I hope to do it in years to come!
The Camino I hope to walk next year is a combination of the Norte and Primitivo. All providing my new hip settles well!

Hello all
My wife and I walked the MVF in April/May this year arranged by Sloways/S-scape. We have a wonderful trip but also experienced several angry dogs. Some fenced in and just barking. But we also met shepherds dogs and worse guard dogs running out of properties. Just before Corleone two dogs only stopped because the owner finally woke up and called on them so they turned around 1 meter from us. Later we met a shepherd that warned us about dogs on the path and very helpfully gave me his staff to scare off dogs.
We have to use it twice because we were attacked by guard dogs. We only had to rise the staff and the dogs wandered off but still followed us for a while.
I’m sad to say but there is a problem on the MVF with dogs. I have walked the VF through Italy and the C. Portugues and never had any problems.
The trick with the ultrasound whistle is great

All the best and keep safe

Yes, the ultrasonic whistle stopped them from attacking. They were vicious, doing their job. But the whistle worked brilliantly, it seemed to confuse the dogs. We only experienced an attack on the last stage. We saw other dogs along the way behind fences or under the control of their shepherd.
The MVF is a beautiful route. Don’t be put off by the possibility of dogs coming at you, they are manageable. I would not walk it alone.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.