• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Magnetic stripe credit cards

peregrina2000

Staff member
An article in today's NY Times describes what might someday be a problem for US peregrinos. Unlike most other countries, US banks are not moving towards microprocessor chip technology, which is now common in European credit cards. And these cards with chips apparently reduce fraud quite a bit, b/c they require pin numbers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/trave ... updateema3

The article does say that the problem is currently limited to places like "automated ticket kiosks at train stations, gas pumps, parking garages", so I guess we don't have to start worrying yet!

Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have an Aussie credit card with a chip. Withdrawing money from ATM's you obviously need a PIN bur in shops I sign...wonder why US banks are not adopting them.

Very strange that America is lagging behind on this. In a related article a SmartCard expert opines that it would likely be 5-10 years before the US adopts the technology. (AMEX already does have the chip-and-pin technology, but this doesn't help much as it is not widely accepted.)

lynne

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Back