• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mail Drop In Oloron-Sainte Marie

Homer-Dog

I will be arriving in Oloron Sainte Marie on the 6th of September. I will be flying from the US to Toulouse via Madrid and then training it to Oloron. I want to carry my backpack on the plane/train (I had a bad experience with lost luggage on my first camino). I am trying to figure out how to get my poles and other small pointy items frowned upon by the TSA to Oloron.

Is there a place where I can mail (FedEx/UPS/DHL) the items so that I can pick them up when I get there?

Thanks for any help you can provide :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Homer-Dog-

There might be some good news concerning your poles:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/03/tsa-prohibited-items-list-changing_5.html

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) announced on March 5, 2013 that on April 25th they will be operating under a revised policy concerning some carry-on items. Specifically, on that date the TSA will start allowing in carry-on small pocket knives – small knives with non-locking blades shorter than 2.36 inches (6 cm) and less than 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) in width - and ski poles. We would assume that hiking poles would be considered the same as ski poles. The full announcement can be found at:

What is unknown at the moment is if the E.U. or other countries wil be changing regulations concerning poles to agree with the TSA. So unless and until you read otherwise, plan on having to check those on your return. It appears that the policy concerning small knives is already the same as the upcoming one for the TSA.

Homer-Dog said:
I will be arriving in Oloron Sainte Marie on the 6th of September. I will be flying from the US to Toulouse via Madrid and then training it to Oloron. I want to carry my backpack on the plane/train (I had a bad experience with lost luggage on my first camino). I am trying to figure out how to get my poles and other small pointy items frowned upon by the TSA to Oloron.

Is there a place where I can mail (FedEx/UPS/DHL) the items so that I can pick them up when I get there?

Thanks for any help you can provide :D

Homer-Dog,

You might send your parcel to general delivery at the post office. The format for the address label on your parcel is the following.

your last name, first name (as on your national passport)
c/o Poste Restante
La Poste
Place Du General De Gaulle
64400, Oloron Sainte Marie, France

The post office is open on working days from 08:30 - 12:30 and 13:30 - 18:00
and on Saturday 08:30 - 12:30

Bon chance and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Bureau de Poste

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you Margaret Meredith! :D That is a good idea. Of course, with the changes to the TSA regulations that seem to be coming, my original question may have become moot. :)

Gene_781: Thanks for the advice. I am currently planning to mail my poles and pocket knife back home when I get to SDC thus avoiding carrying them on the plane on the way home.

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back