• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mail in Santiago

Jude57!

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hi, I'm Jude from Kentucky and I'm starting my Camino Frances on September 16th. I need to receive a document via mail while I'm on my trip. Can anyone tell me what the address is for the post office in Santiago and how it needs to be addressed so I can pick it up when I arrive? Thank

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, I'm Jude from Kentucky and I'm starting my Camino Frances on September 16th. I need to receive a document via mail while I'm on my trip. Can anyone tell me what the address is for the post office in Santiago and how it needs to be addressed so I can pick it up when I arrive? Thank

The national postal service is called Correos in Spain.

More than one office in Santiago de Compostela.
The most convenient ones will be the one in the Pilgrim's Office in Rua Carretas.
Other central one is at Travesia do Franco.

You are referring to a mail? And then asking for a postal office. Do I understand that you have to print out the mail and send it back through regular mail?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cheers for clarification. With mail I immediately thought of an e-mail . When I think of a postal office I make the link with letter or postal package.
Ha, English not being my first language!
And to complicate things there is a different usage with the words post and mail between British and American English. The OP is from the US.

Oh yeah, in the UK you post something using the Royal Mail and in the US you mail something using the Post Office. o_O

Last edited:
The national postal service is called Correos in Spain.

More than one office in Santiago de Compostela.
The most convenient ones will be the one in the Pilgrim's Office in Rua Carretas.
Other central one is at Travesia do Franco.

You are referring to a mail? And then asking for a postal office. Do I understand that you have to print out the mail and send it back through regular mail?
Yes I’m referring to mail. I need to receive mail, sign a document and mail back. What is the best way to do this?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The main post office in Santiago is

Oficina Principal de Correos de Santiago Rúa do Franco, 4 15702 Santiago de Compostela

Here are instructions from Wikipedia

Spain
Mail can also be received at Spanish Post Offices.[32] There is normally no charge for the service.

Poste Restante letters should be addressed

Lista de Correos, followed by the address of the post office (including the postcode, town and province). Put your surname in capitals.

An example Lista de Correos address is:
John SMITH
Lista de Correos
Oficina Principal de Correos de Santiago
Rúa do Franco, 4 15702
Santiago de Compostela
Spain

To find the address of the Correos nearest to you check at www.correos.es.
Click on the Oficinas link for the Localizador de Oficinas.
When collecting mail from the post office you will need to show some form of identification such as a passport or photo driving licence.

Specify that you are collecting a Lista de Correos item as these are stored separately from the other stored mail.
The Lista de Correos mail is filed alphabetically and it may be worth asking them to check if an expected package was filed under your first name if they cannot find it under your surname. Post offices vary in how long they will hold your mail. When addressing mail for Spain, always ensure there is a return address on the parcel or packet.

Yes, just curious. How long would the main Post Office in Santiago hold mail for a person before sending it back to the original sender?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, just curious. How long would the main Post Office in Santiago hold mail for a person before sending it back to the original sender?
That I don't know. But I've read that it can be helpful to add Peregrino after the adresee's name.

We sent some of our things to the main post office ten days in and picked them up on day 58. However, I contacted them several times to let them know we were running late. Also, this was in 2015 and we had expensive equipment there and not simply a letter.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.