• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mailing a post card on the CF

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
My mother has collected picture postcards since she was a small child. She keeps them neatly ordered in file boxes and is always excited to get a new one from someplace she has never visited. I want to send her one from the various places we walk through on the Camino. I have a few questions.

France: What is the post office called in French and what hours can I expect it to be open? How much will it cost to mail a card home to the US in France? Will there be post cards at Orrison and is there anyplace to mail them or get stamps there?

Spain: Can I buy a roll or sheet of stamps to send postcards home along the way? What is the post office called in Spain and what kind of hours are they usually open? How much will it cost to mail a postcard home to the US?

Thank you in advance. My mother will thank you as well!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi J Willhaus, I can't answer about postcards at Orrison, but there are lots of shops in SJPDP selling postcards and a post office in the town. My experience of trying to buy postcards on the Camino in Spain was very different from France. The larger towns and cities all had shops where postcards could be bought but often in the smaller places even when there was a shop it might not have any postcards or be closed, or not have any stamps available for international postage. I suggest that you buy a lot of stamps (and postcards) when you are in Pamplona to keep you going, and also be aware that some villages do not even have post boxes to send the mail on. You can always ask the hospitalero where the nearest place is to send mail. In France it costs around 1.25 euros to send postcards to the USA cost, and about the same in Spain, but do buy plenty of stamps to keep handy. The post office in Spain is Correos, it has a very noticeable yellow livery, but check opening times as I often arrived in town just as they had closed for the day or for lunch. The Museum in Logrono has a wonderful section of postcards at the reception desk, and it is just a few yards off the Camino. Just before there is Los Arcos, and even if the wonderful church is not open, the newsagent sells a great selection of postcards of the church interior so you can at least see what you are missing. At Foncebadon, on the way to the Cruz de Ferro, the last shop/cafe on the way out of the village sells some lovely vintage style pcs, as well as wonderful mini seafood empanadas.
I see you are from Boise, and your city of course has a very strong connection with the Basque country so you will especially enjoy the early stages from France and through Navarra. Buen Camino!

Most towns in Spain have a post office. They close for siesta & reopen for early evening trading hours. However, if all you are after is a stamp, there is a simpler alternative - a tobacconist.

Tobacconist are called 'estancos' and have a burgundy and yellow sign. Ask for a 'sello' (Spanish for stamp). Buy several for days ahead especially if they have an international stamp of correct value

Mailboxes in Spain are yellow and they can be found most places . Useful Spanish
  • Stamp - sello (seh-yo)
  • Is there a tobacconist around here? ¿Hay un estanco por aquí? (Eye oon es-TANK-oh pour ack-EE)

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My wife loves receiving post cards...only problem was finding an open Post Office...only saw three open Post Offices on my Camino...SJPDP...Santiago (at Pilgrim Office is open almost 12-hours/day)...Finisterre...went to many Post Offices during open hours only to find them closed.

I'm remembering that the stamps to send a postcard from Spain to the U.S. cost a euro. I'm also remembering that in larger post offices there are two queues; one for getting to windows to send mail and conduct other typical business and then one to do other things like buy stamps. That line is quicker and so, when you enter, ask which queue to get into to buy stamps.

You may want to ask for "un sello bonito por mi madre, por favor."

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks to all of you for your kind advice. I am certain my mother will be excited to get some different postcards. I am learning some Spanish for the trip and think I can ask for the right stamp at the right places and understand the answer although my French is limited to only a few polite phrases. Otherwise I only speak English and German and a few words of Flemish. We are so looking forward our pilgrimage and I hope to be able to converse a little with travelers and natives along the way. Although "snail mail" may be on its way out of fashion, I know my mom will appreciate your assistance with this question. In French will I need to ask for par avion and for Spanish I want correo aereo?

We took our first postcard into the Spanish Correos office and had it correctly stamped for overseas mail. Then asked for enough stamps to post several more cards. We often found a post box but nowhere to buy stamps further along the route.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Most towns in Spain have a post office. They close for siesta & reopen for early evening trading hours. However, if all you are after is a stamp, there is a simpler alternative - a tobacconist.

Tobacconist are called 'estancos' and have a burgundy and yellow sign. Ask for a 'sello' (Spanish for stamp). Buy several for days ahead especially if they have an international stamp of correct value

Mailboxes in Spain are yellow and they can be found most places . Useful Spanish
  • Stamp - sello (seh-yo)
  • Is there a tobacconist around here? ¿Hay un estanco por aquí? (Eye oon es-TANK-oh pour ack-EE)
Amazing! Just a splendid post!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.