• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mailing knife to Irun

nickymd1

Time of past OR future Camino
CdN'17, Regia'18, CF'19, CP'22, CFist/CMux '17/'22
So... it's weird, but as I've mentioned before, I have certain dietary requirements. Which means that I'll be doing a lot of my own meal preparation, which means that a knife will be essential on my Way. I could probably buy one along the way, but it seems like the cost of posting my current one back and forth will work out less expensive than purchasing one in Spain that I'll have to leave behind when I finish in Muxia (I'm not checking luggage as I'm travelling within Europe).

Has anyone every done something similar? And is there a post office in Irun / Hendaye where I could post it to? Or would the Albergues in Irun accept it even if I'm not staying with them when the package arrives?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm from Holland , travel to Spain by train and I'm flying back home.
Always check in my pack .

Why don't you check in your pack its so much easier .?

Wish you well , Peter.

I'm from Holland , travel to Spain by train and I'm flying back home.
Always check in my pack .

Why don't you check in your pack its so much easier .?

Wish you well , Peter.

Thanks Peter, but it's also much more expensive than buying a new knife ;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
No personal experience, but you may find this note useful.
Public (meaning municipal or parochial) albergues are managed by very pressed volunteers; I would hesitate before asking for more services. As for private albergues or hostals, ask managers.
Apparently you are already set with the solution to your problem, but I bought a very good foldable knife in León; it cost me just 7 euros. When I left Compostela, I looked in the train station for pilgrims-to-be (they are very obvious, with all their clean and new equipment), saw a family (two young parents, little children) and gave my knife to them. I sometimes fancy that they did the same thing after they finished, and that my knife is still making the rounds along the Camino.

Not sure you ate even allowed to mail one. Then there might be customs. Knives ate cheap.1€ good luck. Holy cow batman3

a knife will be essential on my Way.

Nicky, what sort of knife do you have in mind, and for cutting what? We purchased an Opinel, folding, 4 inch / 10 cm blade in Irun in a ferreteria on the Andrearriaga Ibilbidea not far from the Railway bridge & bang on the Camino. Cost €14. Cost of posting home €8. Cost in the UK £28- 30.

Large enough & sharp enough to de-bone a chicken or fillet a Dorada.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So... it's weird, but as I've mentioned before, I have certain dietary requirements. Which means that I'll be doing a lot of my own meal preparation, which means that a knife will be essential on my Way. I could probably buy one along the way, but it seems like the cost of posting my current one back and forth will work out less expensive than purchasing one in Spain that I'll have to leave behind when I finish in Muxia (I'm not checking luggage as I'm travelling within Europe).

Has anyone every done something similar? And is there a post office in Irun / Hendaye where I could post it to? Or would the Albergues in Irun accept it even if I'm not staying with them when the package arrives?

Where would you be shipping the knife from? Spanish customs will want you to pay duties on your own stuff, you'd be better off buying a small kitchen knife with sheath locally, then leaving it at the last albergue you're staying at. Buying a knife once you get to Spain would be cheaper once you factor in having to ship one back and forth, and the headaches you will have to deal with.

... I could probably buy one along the way, but it seems like the cost of posting my current one back and forth will work out less expensive than purchasing one in Spain that I'll have to leave behind when I finish in Muxia ...

A simple knife for cutting vegetables and the like will set you back, in Spain, around 5 Euro max, certainly cheaper than mailing one in - and out. Buen Camino, SY

I shipped my knife to hotel ramtchu in SJPdP via US priority express mail. Arrived just fine.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You will certainly be able to find a knife to suit your needs in Irun or Hendaye, whether it's a folding knife, a simple kitchen knife, a swiss army knife, or any -- unless your arrival there is on a Sunday, or say late at night with an early departure planned. Or if you're travelling by plane > train, near the station where you'll board the train, especially if you have multiple possible departure times from there, or several possibilities really. Knives are very easily and cheaply acquired in both France and Spain.

Including even sending one you've purchased back home after you finish.

The solution is simple. If you are NOT going to check your pack, containing sharp objects and liquids, BUY a simple knife there. Postage, especially from outside the EU zone will be FAR more expensive than buying the knife there.

Just as a BTW and FYI, I must use powdered protein to supplement my diet each day. The protein comes in individual packets. I use a 2 1/2-inch child's scissor to open these packets easily, IT IS LEGAL TO TRAVEL BY AIR WITH A SHORT ROUNDED TIP SCISSOR.

In the US the maximum blade size permitted is 4 inches from the fulcrum of the scissor to the edge of the blade. The EU countries have a similar provision,. I believe the maximum length permitted is 6 cm, but do check.

My scissors were obtained form the stationery aisle of my local supermarket. I have passed through both US TSA as well as Portuguese and Spanish security checks, where I could see that they could see the scissors on the x-ray. They are not concerned.

So, if a scissor will do the trick, you can travel with one, as I mention here. If you really Do need a proper knife, buy one locally, on arrival.

I hope this helps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.