• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mailing something to SdC?

Jerome74

How would I mail something from Saint Jean to myself in Santiago de Compostela? What kind of 'address' would I use?

Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lista de Correos

You would address it with your name as it appears in your passport or identity document. That is the document you must use to collect it.

So, it would be addressed like this.

Seventyfour Jerome
LISTA DE CORREOS
15780 Santiago de Compostela
A Coruña

It is advisable to put an expected day of collection on the parcel as well. The Correos say that they will keep a parcel for 30 days but I know that they will keep it longer in Santiago.

Other post office you can post to along the route are:

31080 Pamplona (Navarra)
31100 Puenta la Reina (Navarra)
26080 Logroño (Navarra)
09080 Burgos
24080 León
24700 Astorga (León)
24400 Ponferrada (León)
27600 Sarria (Lugo)

Jerome74,
You will probably get some more comprehensive answers
from pilgrims that have used the system more than me but I have a
feeling if you mail from outside of Spain you would have to use the normal
international mailing system.
If you could carry what it is you want to mail as far as Pamplona you
can obtain a box at the post office and they will send it on to Santiago
p.o. and hold it there until you claim it;(4 to 6 weeks ,I belive).
I used the system from Navrette p.o., to Santiago,it worked fine.
Buen Camino,Les

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
sillydoll,
You obviously use more fingers than me when you're typing....
there were no replies to Jeromes enquiry when I started my little reply!!
I knew you would have the info,all best,les

Posting ahead

If you read the Chemins St Jacques website they will tell you that the Post office in Santiago will keep the parcel for two weeks! Don't be put off by that. The official time is 30 days but they are very lenient and if you put an expected date of arrival on the box they will keep it for you.

Muchas gracias a todos!

It is advisable to put an expected day of collection on the parcel as well. The Correos say that they will keep a parcel for 30 days but I know that they will keep it longer in Santiago.

Well I hope so because I won't probably make it in 30 days to SdC! ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Posting stuff ahead

There are many Post Offices listed for Santiago de Compostela on the Correos.es website.
I can give you the address of the old central correos which was just around the corner from the cathedral in Travesa de Fonesca but it was being renovated and there was a temporary correos not far away. Perhaps Ivar can let us know whether the central Correos has re-opened - or let us have the new address and postal code?

Generally hours are from 8h30 – 20h30 on working days and 09h30 – 14h00 on Saturdays.
For those flying to Madrid there is a Correos at Terminal 4 at Barajas Airport.
AEROPUERTO DE BARAJAS TERMINAL 4
28022 MADRID (MADRID)
Tel:913338336 Fax:913337091
Hours: Monday to Friday: 8h30 to 20h30 Saturday 9h30 to 13h00 Closed Sunday

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
silly:

I found these on correos.es:

ORFAS, 17
15703 SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA
A CORUÑA

EDIFICIO XUNTA DE GALICIA SAN CAETANO
15704 SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA
A CORUÑA

GARCIA PRIETO, 12
15706 SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA
A CORUÑA

RESTOÑAL, 50 (HIPERCOR)
15702 SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA
A CORUÑA

Which one should I choose for the address??

Or if I use the address you gave me (with 'lista de correos') where will I be able to pick my packet up?

Thanks.

Sil & Jerome, this excellent excellent excellent research/info. I printed it all. I know I'l be needing this info in the future. Thank u! :D xm 8)

Santiago Post Office

He Jerome,
I think it would be from
ORFAS, 17
15703 SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA
A CORUÑA

This is Ivar's post from a year ago about the post office moving:

"I just found out that the post office in Santiago de Compostela will be temporarily moving to a new location. Temporarily meaning for the next 2 years or so. Not sure why this is happening, but I assume that it has something to do with restoring the old building they are currently in.
The move is supposed to happen in the next 2 weeks or so and the new office will be located at "rúa das Orfas" all the way down close to where "rúa das Orfas" and "Rua de Villar" meet. Just across from the 24h Farmacia. I looked for the address at the interactive map of Santiago, and it is next to "rúa das Orfas 15". Find it yourself here by looking up that address here:

http://www.qdq.com/indexfotos.asp?city=Santiago

[added: Once you have found "rúa das Orfas 15", select "Toma 2" in the dropdown box (between the image and the map) you will look straight at the new post office entrance.]

Santiago greetings,
Ivar"

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ivars directions

located at "rúa das Orfas" all the way down close to where "rúa das Orfas" and "Rua de Villar" meet

I found Rua das Orfas and Rua de Villar but looking at the map 'never the twain shall meet"!
There is Rua de Nova and a little Rua Enterruas between the two ruas.

I've emailed Ivar to ask if he can put us all out of our misery here and tell us where the post office is!

Post Office in Santiago

I have just received confirmation from the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago that the Post Office to send parcels to is the one in Rúa das Orfas.

"Dear Silvia,
The address is Rúa das Orfas 15703 Santiago de Compostela.
Pilgrims Office"

So, you can address your parcel as:

Jerome74
Lista de Correos,
15703 Santiago de Compostela,
A Coúruna

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, I sent a box from Logrono post office to Santiago post office, Logrono
office sell box's and you will get an sticky address label, easy.
Lol.

I was just about to start researching this subject, and suddenly all the answers I could ever need are in one thread. Sil, you are a star - baie, baie dankie

Donovan

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Correos

Generally hours are from 8h30 – 20h30 on working days and 09h30 – 14h00 on Saturdays.

Sending suitcases

We went to Madrid's central post office at the Palace of Communications, Plaza Celebes yesterday naively thinking we can post our two small suitcases from there to our hotel in SdC. No such luck. The Super grande box can take 20 kg max but the size of the box is too small to fit in our cases even if each does weigh only 15kg.
The PR guy at the front desk advised us to contact DHL with general direction where we can find its office on Gran Via. We happened to walk past FedEX delivery van with the 902 number so we rang. It is FedEx's general agent and the company does deliver parcels or packages all over Spain. They pick your stuff at your place and deliver to SdC the following day. The Cost? For max weight of 32 kg, it's Euro 34.
If you happen to be in Madrid and need thier service, the number is 902 122 333.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've always mailed stuff to Compostela from Madrid via private carrier, there's one to a side of the Plaza de España in MAD. More expensive, but I prefer it. Best, xm 8)

I have created this map with 3 pins on it. Cathedral, old post office (cloesed summer 2007) and the new temporary post office.

Click the blue balone to see which is witch... (you can zoom in and out if you want with the slider)

here is the map

Greetings from Norway! (back in santiago on saturday,
Ivar

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
17th May

Yes - happy independence day - and go and eat your krem kake!

hey guys, just writing this from the alburgue at Azrofa, what a great place! but besides that i was wanting to know the exact same thing as jerome, i sent a box from st. jean on the 7th and wont be reaching santiago till bout 10-12th im guessing and id hate to lose my tent, groundmat and guidebooks for the rest of my travels after the camino, has anyone got a definite answer of holding for up to 6 weeks, id hate to have to bus to santiago, get the stuff, post it again then catch the bus back to where-ever i left from..
muchos gracias amigos, and buen camino lol

box

When sending yourself stuff to SdC, do you have to use the offical post office box or can you use your own box? I just got the bike bags that we're going to be using to pack our bikes for the plane. They are quite a lot larger than I expected, and came in a large box. I'm thinking I could use the box to pack our pannier bags, and once we arrive in spain, unpack the bikes and panniers, put the bike bags back in the box and use the box to forward the bike bags to SdC.... I know, it's complicated. But it would save me buying a box (2x) and would also ensure safe travel for the pannier bags....
I am leaving in 6 days!!!!!!!!!!!

€149,-
bikebox

Read about it. We have these special bike bags which are better for us. We are renting a REALLY SMALL car to get from Barcelona to Roncesvalles and I doubt we could fit 2 bike boxes in it....
Thanks though!!

Posting stuff

I sent my parcel to the hotel in SdC so no problem with holding on once it arrives. The hotel already confirmed receiving the parcel.
Regarding outsize package, I have no idea as when we went to Madrid central to send our suitcase, the max weight is 20 kg and the size of the super grande box they have is smaller than our suitcase. Can't say for sure if you can post your bike box.
If not, try to get the express transport in town. I used Chrono Express and they deliver the suitcases within the next day to SdC.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back