• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Grañon hipplie place July 15 2015

Gazell

Hey, I know there are a million threads on the topic, but on a cell and need to post this warning. The "hippie place " in grañon, not the one in the church is full of bed bugs. The outbreak is severe and all who stay seem to be bitten extremely badly. Many other albergues refuse to accept pilgrims who overnight here on a continuous basis.

Please be aware

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey, I know there are a million threads on the topic, but on a cell and need to post this warning. The "hippie place " in grañon, not the one in the church is full of bed bugs. The outbreak is severe and all who stay seem to be bitten extremely badly. Many other albergues refuse to accept pilgrims who overnight here on a continuous basis.

Please be aware
Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks so much for the warning. We'll be heading out late September and i had hoped the 'bed bug' season (if there is such a thing) would be over. I'll be sure to spray our sleeping bags before we go. I sure hope the albergue does something to deal with the problem or it will be spreading...yuck.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The bed bug season does not really end. They go dormant in the cold, but that will be December and January. Many places will treat extensively during the winter, which will help delay or mitigate the re-emergence of bed bugs in the spring. But the accommodations that are lax will perpetuate the problem. Any place can have bed bugs, so I am personally against labeling a particular stop as a bed bug haven, but there are reputations for both fiercely fighting the bugs AND pretty much ignoring them. Each pilgrim should probably be responsible for forming their own opinion based on reports from other pilgrims. Keep in mind that bed bug symptoms can manifest themselves several days after the encounter, so it is not gospel that noticing a bite after leaving a facility makes that place responsible! Actual sightings are better proof. Some pilgrims carry their own bed bugs, but blame them on the albergue...

I recommend the attitude that everyplace I stop has bed bugs. I prepare and treat accordingly without imposing my prevention techniques on anyone but myself. :)

Other than spraying your sleeping bag with permethrin what other prevention techniques are you applying? thanks again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Other than spraying your sleeping bag with permethrin what other prevention techniques are you applying? thanks again.

I now do a thorough check and if I see ANY evidence of bedbugs, I don't stay.
I agree with Falcon's post, you cannot be sure where you got bitten by bed bugs (unless you saw them of course and decided to stay!).

My pack, my sheet, and my pillow/pillowcase. I take DEET for the night if I think it is warranted.
So you spray all those items with the permithon ahead of time right? ...and what do you mean you 'take' deet for the night? (again thanks soo much for helping on this...bed bugs kind of worry me)

and what do you mean you 'take' deet for the night?
I take a 2 oz. bottle of DEET in case I decide to use it at night for bed bugs. Bed bugs go for exposed flesh, so head, hands, and feet that stick out of a sleeping bag are prime targets. I wash off the DEET in the morning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This time I'm taking Lifesystems Bed bug sheet - has anyone tried these, and are they effective? (Fortunately, I've not had any problems on the camino - when travelling through Turkey and Iran years ago, a different story:()

This time I'm taking Lifesystems Bed bug sheet - has anyone tried these, and are they effective? (Fortunately, I've not had any problems on the camino - when travelling through Turkey and Iran years ago, a different story:()
I find that sheet to be too slippery and small so it does not stay in place between the mattress and the human.

The outbreak was bad and saying that the bedbug problem us a constant one is talking about a problem not relevant to this one. The hospitalero knew about it and ignored informing the pilgrims. What made it worse was that most of them were refused at upcoming albergues. One lady called the police to get in, but wasn't able to get a bed to sleep in. Another pilgrim went to Burgos to report this albergue to have it shut down. I travel a lot globally and have been bed bug bitten too, but never ever in my life have I ever seen people this badly bitten, SO, I would not wave this one off. This place is known for being a problem cause as mentioned, they refuse pilgrims from it continously.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the heads up, I think I'll take a Deet spray instead.
Travelling man, what I brought this year was something mentioned on this forum: a large peice of tule about 60 -80 cm longer and wider than an single bed. that way I cold tuck it in under the mattress to keep it in place. I sprayed it at home before leaving, outdoors, with permytherine. Took a risk with the pillows since the sheet went under them and I did not want to spray my own pillowcase and have this chemical on my face but at least the mattress was covered.

I used one this summer and so did my husband. We covered the mattress and pillow with it, then put sleeping bag on top. We found it stayed in place ok. You could buy a double size one if you want to 'tuck it in'?
I don't know if they're effective, neither of us were bitten but it made me feel better anyway :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the replies - decisions,decisions - I'll take the sheet and the spray. The sheet does have ties at each corner, so hopefully win't slip about too much....

I think it pays off to check the bed and surroundings for evidence of bed bugs before you decide to stay. If there is a bad infestation, you'll see signs. I walked out of one albergue (yes, it is a pain, you're tired, all you want is a shower and you then have the trouble of finding another place to stay!)... but there WERE bed bugs and the other pilgrims were bitten :(
Buen camino, hopefully bug free :)

Travelling man, what I brought this year was something mentioned on this forum: a large peice of tule about 60 -80 cm longer and wider than an single bed. that way I cold tuck it in under the mattress to keep it in place. I sprayed it at home before leaving, outdoors, with permytherine. Took a risk with the pillows since the sheet went under them and I did not want to spray my own pillowcase and have this chemical on my face but at least the mattress was covered.

Where did you find one piece that large? Sounds like a good idea.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Please be aware
We were advised to get silk sleeping bag liners to put outside our sleeping bags. Has anyone heard if that is helpful with bed bugs? Also, can you buy permethrin in SJPdP? Can you get DEET there? I've also heard that one should check mattresses (near seams and edges) for signs of beg bugs and then walk away if you notice anything. Any advice on that?
thanks,

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Also, what is the name of the "hippie" place in granon? Thanks again,

Also, what is the name of the "hippie" place in granon? Thanks again,
There are only 2 albergues: municipal/parish and hippie "Casa de Sonrisas". I stayed in it. It looked like one that easy could have bed bugs and we checked for traces. It was early in the year, so it was still clean. When I think of it - the design of the place would make it extremely difficult to get rid of unwanted creatures. Maybe they let it freeze out in winter?

Stayed in Casa de Sonrisas a couple months ago. Luckily didn't get bitten, but it looked a bit dodgy as far as clenliness went. The mattresses were filthy. My companions opted for a bed at the hippie place rather than mats on the floor at the municipal albergue, so we all stayed in the beds at Sonrisas. This choice was one I regretted, as i heard wonderful things about the loft in the church. The Pilgrims Mass at the church was wonderful, only wished I had stayed there, but I wanted to be with my Camino Family, as we formed on night # 1 at Orisson, and 4 of us (previously strangers) walked into the square together at Santiago...then stuck together all the way to the coast

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yup, we used the bed bug sheets this summer. No bug problems, so I'll be using it again.

We met a pilgrim yesterday who was bedbug bitten in the albergue of Terradillos de Los templarios and we then decided to stay in Bercianos del Real Camino in the albergue of la laguna and were bitten to pieces last night. This is really destroying our camino and I sleep on a big bedbug shee, all my stuff is sprayed and I'm not escaping it.

We met a pilgrim yesterday who was bedbug bitten in the albergue of Terradillos de Los templarios and we then decided to stay in Bercianos del Real Camino in the albergue of la laguna and were bitten to pieces last night. This is really destroying our camino and I sleep on a big bedbug shee, all my stuff is sprayed and I'm not escaping it.
Yuk! I am so sorry. Goes to,show that the Caminos need a concerted effort and rules. What they are... Perhpas letting us walk in woth shoes and poles but no "soft" gear?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We just called the hospitalero to tell him and he refused to accept it and said we were wrong. We were all bed bug free and now we're full of them.

We just called the hospitalero to tell him and he refused to accept it and said we were wrong. We were all bed bug free and now we're full of them.

I am so sorry to hear that.
I stayed both at Terradillos and Burgo Ranero without any bugs but the last time was 2 years ago :(
Go to a farmacia and ask them for something to help you if the bites are bad. I took the antihistamine tablets I carried with me but it wasn't enough. You also need to get rid of the bugs in your pack/clothes....The hospitaleros at Rabanal were ACE at getting rid of them, anyone here who was hospitalero/a at Gaucelmo who could advise?
Putting everything in a hot tumble dryer might do the trick....
All the best.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In the midst of all bad luck, we still had some good luck. We went into an outdoor store and asked for a bed bug sheet. They didn't have it, but called around to several stores and then pointed us in the direction of another store and we found a store selling beds and beddings also providing bed bug sheets for the albergues. He then told us where to find the bed bug sprays and we found multiple ones with permethrin, I can't even begin to describe how happy we were. The hotel then showed us where we could wash everything and tumble dry our back packs. The pharmacy sold us permetina schampoo (better be safe than sorry) and extra strength cortisone. It took a full day, but we're equipped with our sprays, bed bug sheets, treated gear and plastic bags to store our bags in. We were lucky to be in leon for all this.

I'm so pleased you were able to get help.

I would offer one last suggestion, even though you're spraying everything.

When you get home, do not take your pack or shoes or equipment into your house.
Take it all out of your pack so it's loose.
Put it all in a black plastic bag and stick it out in the sun for a few weeks.
I'd even spray inside the bag with insecticide.
Then wash it all in hot water and maybe send your pack to the dry cleaners before bringing it inside.
Remember, eggs can be hiding in your shoes and gear.
Better to be safe than sorry.
You certainly don't want those bugs in your house!

I hope the rest of your Camino is relaxing and sweet.
Buen Camino!

Does anyone have general tips on where to find the Lifesystems bed bug sheet (or something similar) in Spain? I'm just hearing about it, so I can't order online before flying into Bilbao this week. I'll be starting the Camino del Norte from there on Friday. I think I'd prefer the sheet to using permethrin or DEET.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The hospitaleros at Rabanal were ACE at getting rid of them, anyone here who was hospitalero/a at Gaucelmo who could advise?.
I have been hospitalera at Guacelmo. We had a strict protocol to follow. First of all, we showed a large photo of both a bed bug and the result of bites ( usually 3 in a row) . We asked every Pilgrim upon registering, if they had such bites and, if affirmative, gave them a large IKEA bag, full of loads if clean clothes and sent them to a separate shower room, where they were asked to choose suitable clothes from the bag and to put ALL their own clothes in a plastic bag that we gave them. Documents, etc, were kept separate in a zip lock bag. We washed everything at 60 degrees, that often took 2 wash loads, as those European washing machines are so small. The backpack was put in a separate plastic bag and put in the sun for the rest of the day and was left in that bag over night.
During our 16 day duty, we dealt with 12 bed bug cases. Most had stayed the night before in Astorga.
I myself have walked many Caminos, but so far, have never been bitten and also have never treated anything with any preventative insecticide. We carry a large plastic bag and should we stay in an Albergue with a wooden floor, then we put our backpack in it for the night. All our clothes are in two large zip lock bags.

@annakappa , you mention pilgrims who ealked in with bug bites had stayed in Astorga. Are you suggesting, int he nicest, kindes waymtjat the got infested in Astorga? I thought it took a few days for bites to show up as I always wondered if I got bitten at the hotel in Santiago or in an albergue. Thanks!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@annakappa , you mention pilgrims who ealked in with bug bites had stayed in Astorga. Are you suggesting, int he nicest, kindes waymtjat the got infested in Astorga? I thought it took a few days for bites to show up as I always wondered if I got bitten at the hotel in Santiago or in an albergue. Thanks!
Yup! I'm suggesting that they got bitten in Astorga!

I thought it took a few days for bites to show up
I think the time between being bit and having the reaction can vary quite a bit. It is an allergic type of reaction and everyone responds differently, and people can become sensitized to it. That makes it even harder to know when one was bitten!

I think the time between being bit and having the reaction can vary quite a bit. It is an allergic type of reaction and everyone responds differently, and people can become sensitized to it. That makes it even harder to know when one was bitten!
Rats, I was hoping for an easy answer, thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hi, I know exactly where I was bitten. I usually sleep curled up in my sleeping bag. However, this one morning I woke up, on my tummy, with my bare arms above and around my head. I stayed 2 nights at the next place. At about midday on my rest day I realised I was scratching my forearms. There were bed bug bites on both my forearms, nowhere else. I have no doubts I was bitten at that previous albergue. Jill

Does anyone have general tips on where to find the Lifesystems bed bug sheet (or something similar) in Spain? I'm just hearing about it, so I can't order online before flying into Bilbao this week. I'll be starting the Camino del Norte from there on Friday. I think I'd prefer the sheet to using permethrin or DEET.

I had a bed bug sheet and those little.... got mer anyway, so I was sent to a bed and bedding store, which sells these to the albergues. I bought it in leon and have no idea how to order it online, but at least there's a picture here.maybe you can find it online. I bought a 90cm one for € 24

Attachments

• DSC_0455.JPG
    DSC_0455.JPG
    939.1 KB · Views: 43
Yup! I'm suggesting that they got bitten in Astorga!
The coincidence was too great, as nearly all the bed bug victims had ( over the course of the two weeks we were on duty) stayed in the same Albergue in Astorga!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The coincidence was too great
Oh - I am not arguing with your conclusion at all! I was just pointing out that there is variability in the time for symptoms to show up, so one can't always know for sure. I've been bitten twice - the first time, the itching emerged over a period of a day or two, after I had seen 2 bedbugs (and moved rooms), so I was confident where I was bitten. The second time, I didn't actually SEE the bugs so I can only make an educated guess. My plan now is to put my pack in a plastic bag at night, then isolate all my night things in an inner bag while I walk the next day, and hope that any itching will start that day and warn me to decontaminate before using the night things. It is useful to be a "reactor" so I know if I've been exposed. The people who don't react won't realize they might be carrying bedbugs.

Oh - I am not arguing with your conclusion at all! I was just pointing out that there is variability in the time for symptoms to show up, so one can't always know for sure. I've been bitten twice - the first time, the itching emerged over a period of a day or two, after I had seen 2 bedbugs (and moved rooms), so I was confident where I was bitten. The second time, I didn't actually SEE the bugs so I can only make an educated guess. My plan now is to put my pack in a plastic bag at night, then isolate all my night things in an inner bag while I walk the next day, and hope that any itching will start that day and warn me to decontaminate before using the night things. It is useful to be a "reactor" so I know if I've been exposed. The people who don't react won't realize they might be carrying bedbugs.
What a BRILLIANT idea. One bag formwhat has not been exposed, one for night-evening time gear. I started seeing bites after getting hime, so a good 48 hours after leaving the hotel in Santiago. I was a ver unhappy and concerned camper thinking I mau have brought the beats home. Since the I have changed clothes at the airport, send clothes for professional cleaning and frozen the reat of the gear in a plastic bag for over 3 weeks.

I had a bed bug sheet and those little.... got mer anyway, so I was sent to a bed and bedding store, which sells these to the albergues. I bought it in leon and have no idea how to order it online, but at least there's a picture here.maybe you can find it online. I bought a 90cm one for € 24
@Gazell , I think someone played a trick on you; this type of mattress cover is only good for acharians. As the label states, not bed bugs. These are the normal mattress covers anyone with allergies, and others, tend to use.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Maybe, maybe not, last night I checked into a hotel with a friend and we covered the bed with these. Stupid of me I left the pillow out and quess what the bugs caught my back. Not my body, only the back. My friend escaped it. The other sheet I have is a bed bug sheet, which they had a feast on - it didn't work, so as far as I'm concerned, I will keep using this one and if it happens again, then so be it. My camino is almost done and it won't be repeated again. I'm amazed over the number of people not just with bed bug bites this year, but the number of people who claim they've had a "allergic reaction". I am actually very allergic to mites and it is not always easy to see the difference only that the mites have never (in me) left bites with blisters on them.

I completed the Le Puy route this last Spring and will enter Spain next April. So far I have seen no sign of bed bugs but I read a lot about them here. I have a question. Does anyone know of an up to date listing of the places bed bugs have been encountered this year? This would be useful to know beforehand for planning.

Hey, I know there are a million threads on the topic, but on a cell and need to post this warning. The "hippie place " in grañon, not the one in the church is full of bed bugs.
Please be aware
So when you say the " hippie place" which one are you referring too? Brierly lists two S Juan Bautista, the annex of the church & La

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Damned wifi drop out. What I would is a clarification of which place it's. I think there is an answer La casa de Sunrise. Any updates appreciated. Mike

Damned wifi drop out. What I would is a clarification of which place it's. I think there is an answer La casa de Sunrise. Any updates appreciated. Mike

Casa Sonrisa seems to have been the one mentioned with the problem Mike.

Nick...the problem with taking a no chemical (permethrin) stand is that Permethrin is the most likely preventative based on reports here over the years ..
The Lifesystems sheet may very well use it. I did not check.

I understand some peoples reluctantance and fear of chemicals but have done a lot of research on Permethrin and have concluded it is safe for me.
It is important to pay attention to those articles/reports that are based on studies and not on Internet blog type information where everyone simply repeats each other's opinion as fact.

The EPA says is is possible cancer source...only if you drink it. Suggest you not do that :).
Make your own decision and don't be swayed by the opinions of others - either way.

I have always treated my gear and will continue to do so.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I buy a fitted poly cotton sheet & pillow case, wash & dry it first , then spray it with a flea spray when I am in the UK (spray contains Permethrin). I do this a few days before any travel anywhere.

I also spray my rucksack liberally to prevent hitch hiking bedbugs from other rucksacks..once dry permethrin is safe (used it in the military for years)personal I do not touch Deet.

Place fitted sheet over mattress and use pillow case. in the morning these two items go into a separate plastic bag.

Permethrin does not stop bedbugs from biting you ? it make the item of sprayed and the immediate area uncomfortable for them, and they move elsewhere. if you leave your arm dangling down by your side over the bed frame...you could still be bittern.

I use the sheet in conjunction with my sleeping bag, sometimes I prefer to have my uncovered arms outside the bag and on the sheet.

Never had bites when using the sheet.

I spray my rucksack inside and outside -the sheet and pillowcase.my sleeping bag on the outside (air for a day after spraying sleeping bag).

the outdoor shop spray contains the same amount of permethrin but more expensive and in smaller containers.

P.S the sheet when treated lasts the whole camino even after a few washes if need be...

albergue and Hotel regardless of how many stars it has can be clear one day and infected the next.

Granon the church and the other place are sprayed early on in the year. I have seen the certs....recently they stopped using chemicals sprays and this does not seem to work..

I was in a very clean looking albergue this year and had seen the cert on display and later on saw two adult bed bugs. I discreetly informed the owner and gave him the sandwich bag with the two adult bedbugs, I used my tent outside another albergue which had some grass area...
(Edit)

Something that helped immensely after you've been bitten is to soak your spots with apple cider vinegar. Just soaked napkin and place it on your bites and within a couple of minutes they were noticeably less "angry" , less red and and the welting went down considerably. Perhaps something to do with PH balance?

A very kind hospitalero at the lonely albergue just west of the Cruz de ferro administered this remedy to my friend and I this summer.

Canadians may want to watxh this evening's Montl'real Cbc news piece on beg bugs in old folks homes: it apparently takes more tham on spraying to get rid od the buggers. If that is the case, that makes it even more difficult for albergies to keep,these away, unless ... You and I stop bringing them in. Again, what are WE willing to do?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The coincidence was too great, as nearly all the bed bug victims had ( over the course of the two weeks we were on duty) stayed in the same Albergue in Astorga!

And I know which one it was.
I've found bedbugs there every time I've checked, for years.
And when I tell the hospitalero, he shrugs.
Seems like all the places AFTER Astorga should rise up and insist he clean that place up!

I am going to make a spray of essential oils...tea tree, lavender, peppermint. I plan on spraying it faithfully on my bedding and pack. Hopefully it will work!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.